October 21st, 2018 34 comments

Series 11 Episode Four Arachnids in the UK Trailer

“Something’s happening with the spiders in this city.”

The Doctor, Yaz, Graham and Ryan find their way back to Yorkshire – and Yaz’s family – only to find something is stirring amidst the eight-legged arachnid population of Sheffield.

October 25th, 2018 - 4:09pm

I would like to add to the last comment and answer whovian’s question at the same time.
    As the last post says without spiders we would be drowning in insects, diseases would spred without anything to combat Dysentery, Malaria, Lyme Disease, Typhus, and the list goes on and on, spiders keep a lid on disease from spreading world wide.

Without the spiders help human’s would begin to die out and experts say humanity could easily go extinct eventually. In fact in certain areas of the world human life would quickly die out because of the diseases spred through insects.

On top of that we would have famine to deal with, no spiders then nothing to stop insects eating all the crops, so if we don’t die of hunger we are likely to die from disease, grim but true.

Just think how many insects you need to weigh the same as you or me, it’s a lot of insects. The amount of insects spiders eat combined the world over in one year is the equivalent weight of the whole human population of England (possibly higher) now that is something to think about!

So I hope I have answered your question, “why do we need spiders to survive?”

Get a glass put it over the spider and put some paper under the glass tip it over and put the spider outside, if it is on the wall the spider always runs to the back if the glass usually so just hold it upright and put it outside.

Before I go one more thing, flies eat poo, flies barf on our food and spread disease so please at least try to show some respect! They are your friends;)

October 25th, 2018 - 3:31pm

Guys without spiders we would never have gotten Spider-Man.

October 25th, 2018 - 1:18pm

Spiders are hugely important to the eco-system. Without them we would be drowning in insects. Some species have provided vital medicines and aesthetics. It amazes me that humanity thinks it rules this world. The world will continue on long after humanity’s brief time is over. The dinosaurs ruled earth for 165 million years, humans, i.e. modern humans have been here for 200,000 years. A geological blink of an eye, and yet we have decimated the planet’s species for own selfish gain. If the doctor were real, she would be defending the universe against humans! Sorry boo boo, science sermon over…

• whovian

October 24th, 2018 - 9:54pm

I don’t want to sound mean spirited, but my original reply was definitely not supposed to be funny. In what way do we, the human race, need those creatures in order to survive. Please dont tell me to research them as i cannot bear to look at them (I will be watching the episode from behind a pillow). Clearly you have a decent amount of knowledge on them. I just wanted to understand why I should put a glass over them instead of exterminating them (If you pardon the expression)

October 23rd, 2018 - 9:07pm

LOL, we do need them to survive Whovian. They must exist if we are to survive ourselves.

I used to hover, splat, squash and drown them at one time, since I did research on them I no longer kill them, a pint glass does the trick.

You don’t have to like them but please don’t kill them!

Enjoyed your reply, thanks for making me LOL.

October 23rd, 2018 - 6:34pm

Or you could just watch planet of the spiders… oh, er, no, how about full circle? Ah, no, er… never mind

• whovian

October 23rd, 2018 - 3:56pm

Pats86 it doesn’t matter who it is trying to tell me how “important” spiders are, they are ugly, horrible things and I absolutely despise them. You might think they are amazing, but to quite a few of us Arachnophobes, they shouldn’t exist. I even got into a heated discussion several years ago at college with an animal expert about the subject matter.

There is no convincing me, any spider that won’t fit through my vacuum cleaner pipe is too big to be in my home. I can only manage to hold one to get rid of it if I’m holding a decent amount of toilet roll to catch it with. Just the thought of it just made me shudder. For any of you in Australia, I don’t know how you manage with it.

• Tim M

October 23rd, 2018 - 2:20pm

This sounds like a promising episode. Would be nice if there was a link to Metebelis 3.

October 22nd, 2018 - 8:17pm

I’m sure the Doctor will show everyone watching how important spiders are to us, without them human life would be highly likely to have gone extinct!

Amazing creatures, I have read quite a lot about these wonderful arachnids.

Having said that you would never catch me holding one.

October 22nd, 2018 - 5:12pm

I’m Interested

October 22nd, 2018 - 5:11pm

Lol! Although I don’t have arachnophobia, if I did I would watch it no Matter , because I am a Whovian Through AND THROUGH!

… That sounded a bit like a Speech the Doctor Might Say.

• The Living Shadow

October 22nd, 2018 - 1:12pm

If I wanted to see spiders in my Doctor Who, I’d watch a nature documentary. This is not Doctor Who!!!! Typical garbage propaganda from the arachnophiles at the BBC.

• Keg

October 21st, 2018 - 9:58pm

Yep

• booboo

October 21st, 2018 - 8:09pm

probably because it contained more than “pistol” so would have got blocked by spam filters

• the ergon

October 21st, 2018 - 8:02pm

Do you know its funny that because i Put exactly the same comment in over a week ago but it disappeared but its great to see its finally getting the recognition.

• the patient

October 21st, 2018 - 7:56pm

I have arachnophobia, so I already know I won’t like this episode very much. But I am a Whovian so I will still watch it.

October 21st, 2018 - 7:55pm

Pretty sure it’s a play on the pistols track anarchy in the uk

• booboo

October 21st, 2018 - 7:47pm

my thoughts as well

October 21st, 2018 - 6:39pm

Anarchy in the UK?

• whovian

October 21st, 2018 - 3:57pm

The One and Only, this puzzled me too, but Chris Chi bnall who has written “Arachnids in the UK” also wrote Matt Smith’s ‘Dinosaurs on a Spaceship’, so it may even be an inside joke to that possibly. Matt’s 11th Doctor said “Dinosaurs! On a spaceship” in the pre-titles sequence, so maybe one of the characters might even say “Arachnids! In the UK”, but perhaps not.

Other than the similarity between the two titles, I can’t see what else it could be an inside joke or reference to.

• The One and Only

October 21st, 2018 - 1:10pm

Radio Times said that they had done an inside joke with this episode title. Does anybody understand it?

• doctorsmith12

October 17th, 2018 - 7:29pm

hoping it’s the spiders from Planets of the Spiders

October 16th, 2018 - 8:50pm

No I’m very sure these aren’t the sentient powered spiders from Metebelis Three .
    Think their part of some experiment in genetic engineering or whatever and it’s made me wonder if there’s any similarity to the plot involving the giant maggots in “The Green Death”.A company that by accident or design has created something it can’t control.

• Telosian Legend

October 16th, 2018 - 6:21pm

Do you think these may be the same Spiders from Planet of the Spiders (1974)? I’d love that personally.

October 16th, 2018 - 4:57pm

Yes but remember in “Kill The Moon” the “spiders” were actually bacteria.
    These from what’s been seen seem the real deal albeit modified; genetically or however.

October 16th, 2018 - 12:56pm

I thought the same of kill the moon but look what happened there

October 15th, 2018 - 9:02pm

although i am highly looking forward to the this episode, i just cannot stand that episode title.

October 15th, 2018 - 4:43pm

Unless things are going to REALLY develop in the run up to the Christmas special wouldn’t be surprised if this is the best episode of the whole series.

• Kegan

October 15th, 2018 - 1:35pm

I,m so exited

• DalekAgent

October 15th, 2018 - 11:46am

I hate spiders but im obviously still gonna watch it lol