September 7th, 2017 60 comments

Doctor Who Spin off Class Officially Cancelled

From www.doctorwhonews.net

Doctor Who spin off Class has been officially cancelled by the BBC.

The news was confirmed by BBC Three controller Damian Kavanagh speaking today at a Broadcasting Press Guild.

No, [we’re not bringing it back]. There was nothing wrong with it – I thought Patrick did a great job, he explored an amazing world.

In honesty, it just didn’t really land for us on BBC Three. Things sometimes don’t, and I’ve got to make decisions about what we’re going to do from a drama point of view.

There are always times when you do something and you have to decide that it’s not going to come back. Class is just one of those things.

• R1ch1e

September 8th, 2017 - 7:15pm

This is a shame! I actually enjoyed it more as it went on. That was a doozy of a cliffhanger too.

• booboo

September 8th, 2017 - 5:19pm

well our Facebook and twitter feeds were full of it at the time, as was every fan site.

• T.A

September 8th, 2017 - 5:15pm

Hopefully the next spin off they do will be done better. BRING BACK JACK!

• The Cyber Squirrel

September 8th, 2017 - 4:17pm

I’d have to disagree – I thought the social media promotion was abysmal.

• GallifreyanKnight

September 8th, 2017 - 4:05pm

I got as far as halfway through episode 4, and I just couldn’t stand it anymore.

• The Outcast

September 8th, 2017 - 2:36pm

I agree. I watched episode one, but I didn’t watch any others because of how bad it was.

• GallifreyanKnight

September 8th, 2017 - 1:23pm

I’m not at all surprised.
    It was a terrible show.

• booboo

September 8th, 2017 - 11:18am

that’s quite odd as the social media promotion was huge and i thought that’s where the “young adult” generation that this was aimed at got their info from?

• prototype dalek

September 8th, 2017 - 11:18am

I thought the same whilst Atlantis was on, final episode was a cliff-hanger

• Jordan Scott

September 8th, 2017 - 11:09am

I enjoyed Class personally, although it was 100% down to the terrible advertising in my opinion that it’s been cancelled. While the series was running, I would even mention it to people I know who are Dr Who fans and nobody had a clue that “Class” existed.

September 8th, 2017 - 7:03am

It’s sad to see this show go. But I had such a weird dream last night of a Series 2 episode. It’s disappointing that it’s going but it would never of lived up to SJA and TW

• TARDIS H

September 8th, 2017 - 6:58am

Hopefully Big Finish will get the license.

• The Outcast

September 8th, 2017 - 1:04am

The comment Anonymous below (or should be below) that says RIP Class was mine.

September 8th, 2017 - 1:03am

I think we all saw this coming.
    RIP Class, I personally won’t miss you, but I accept that others will.

September 7th, 2017 - 11:50pm

I wish we could see the Weeping Angel story. I guess cancelled means no 2 hour long final story to resolve everything ahaha. Gonna be unfinished in Who History forever

• THE ERGON

September 7th, 2017 - 10:39pm

Can,t say i,m surprised. I never really warmed to the teenage characters. they seemed too old for the parts unlike the characters in the sarah jane adventures. the only saving grace was katherine kelly who was wasted and who i think would still make an excellent ‘The Rani’.

• Slitheen97

September 7th, 2017 - 9:42pm

Not surprised sadly. having it as an Online only thing was a terrible decision especially as the show it self was pretty good, Shame there’s not one Last episode to wrap things up though

September 7th, 2017 - 9:14pm

Im not too fussed about class being cancelled as i didnt really care for the series.

I reckon the far, FAR bigger problem here is the fact that the BBC will take this to mean there is no market for a spin-off series anymore. This will scare them off from ever allowing a “Mickey and Martha” series or “UNIT” TV series.

So yeah, I just hope this isnt the case, as I think there are many far more accessable ways to make a spin off series than what happened with class…

September 7th, 2017 - 9:07pm

I remember him saying something about a weeping angel civil war, I think it’s the bbcs fault it’s been cancelled they had ridiculous promotion for it and showed it far too late. I remember Katherine Kelly only got interviewed to promote class on the week the final was due to air.

• whofan36

September 7th, 2017 - 8:49pm

I thought it was an ok series nothing great but a lot of shows dont have good first series but get really great as it goes on. If the BBC had put it on BBC 1 instead of BBC 3 along with giving it some proper advertising I think it would have done a lot better. They banked far to much on assuming that as it was a Doctor Who spin off people would watch it.

Currently hoping Titan comics will be able to make Class comics to give some kind of closure to thay cliffhanger

• Dalek Eye Stalk

September 7th, 2017 - 8:37pm

Wasn’t a good series in all honesty. A poor spin off. Doomed from the start with such a terrible title as ‘Class’. Won’t be missed. I mark it an F…could do better Ness. Go back and redo your home work.

• Queen Iraxxa

September 7th, 2017 - 8:21pm

Nooooooooooooooooooooo

• booboo

September 7th, 2017 - 6:32pm

he did actually say he would finish it in a book if it got cancelled but presumably as he has now said he wont right anything to do with class again that’s gone out of the window

• The Temporal Jelly Baby

September 7th, 2017 - 6:30pm

Yeah, it didn’t quite work out, but I do appreciate the time and effort Patrick Ness put into the show and he has my respect for that.

• The Temporal Jelly Baby

September 7th, 2017 - 6:25pm

It’d have been nice to know what was going on with the Weeping Angels. Maybe Patrick Ness could publicly release what he was planning for series 2. But, overall, I’m not all that fussed about Class being cancelled to be honest. I did actually enjoy watching it (unlike some). I think episodes 1, 2, 3, 6, 7 and 8 were all at least decent (the middle 2-part story less so) but I have no great attachment to it like I do with Doctor Who.

So, what was going to happen with the Weeping Angels? Bring on the fan-fiction!

• The Dalek Whovian

September 7th, 2017 - 6:01pm

I hate to say this but I think Class was doomed from the start really. I thought it was an interesting idea but in execution it just didn’t work. I feel like it would have worked better if it was it’s own thing rather being in the Who universe and if the character’s had been better written.

RIP Class, Thanks for trying to bring something new to us Whovians Mr Ness.

• Jordan Scott

September 7th, 2017 - 5:55pm

Now we’ll never find out what was going on with the Weeping Angels, and Capaldi’s Doctor hasn’t properly faced them either.

• T.A

September 7th, 2017 - 5:46pm

R.I.P Weeping angles for season 2.

• Dalekparadigm2

September 7th, 2017 - 5:36pm

Bother

• prototype dalek

September 7th, 2017 - 5:29pm

Sort of could see it coming really, could have been done better