Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart – The Phone Call

The Brigadier – The Phone Call

Alistair Gordon Lethbridge-Stewart, often simply known as the Brigadier, had the distinction of being one of the Doctor’s closest friends.

Last updated: October 1st, 2011 | 34 comments

34 Responses to :
Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart – The Phone Call

1. Posted by: paul dunstall Reply

October 6th, 2011 - 9:55pm

one of the best doctor who lines ever- sergeant, just shoot the chappie with the wings! r i p

• Posted by: the TARDIS

October 8th, 2011 - 8:24pm

I agree – “Chap with the wings there, five rounds rapid!” goodbye Sir Alistair.

2. Posted by: somebloke Reply

October 4th, 2011 - 3:19pm

It’s a shame they killed him, off they could have kept his character alive

3. Posted by: gary Reply

October 3rd, 2011 - 4:08pm

This scene is beautiful. I think it’s so well done.

• Posted by: Anonymous

October 4th, 2011 - 1:41pm

I completly agree. When I saw this scene, I felt just as sad as anyone elce watching did.

• Posted by: McGann is the Doctor.

October 6th, 2011 - 8:57am

I thought it was a great moment, and it was unexpected.

4. Posted by: gary Reply

October 3rd, 2011 - 4:07pm

This scene is beautiful. Il think it’s so well done.

5. Posted by: doctor daddy cool 67 Reply

October 2nd, 2011 - 4:48pm

I am very pleased that this little tribute was added into last nights finale. Shame he wont be around for the docs 50th anniversary in 2 years time. What about Sarah Jane ? Will she get a mention in this years christmas special???

6. Posted by: Seb Reply

October 2nd, 2011 - 4:09pm

I had tear in my eye at this scene. I was half expecting him to throw away one of the envelopes after the phone call

7. Posted by: MarkWho Reply

October 2nd, 2011 - 12:18pm

I really like the tribute to the Brig. However all I can think about is him spending his last days in a retirement home. How sad is that?I believe there are some thing’s best left unsaid. That’s the way I feel about ther death of certain characters in fiction (a certain Capt of a ship called Enterprise is one I wish hadn’t been shown). I’d rather we were able to imagine the demise or lack off for them.
    It’s just a shame he couldn’t have been mentioned without him being killed off (in a nice way though). Winge over. Sorry.

8. Posted by: K-9 mark 2 Reply

October 2nd, 2011 - 11:32am

THAT SCEEN MAKES YOU SKIP A HEART BEAT

9. Posted by: sheepinafez Reply

October 2nd, 2011 - 9:42am

they did it perfectly im glad they didnt just leave it

10. Posted by: Commander Strax Reply

October 2nd, 2011 - 9:15am

very sad and why not a liz sladen tibuite??

• Posted by: booboo

October 2nd, 2011 - 9:21am

probably because series 5 has not shown been shown yet . i dont think they will ever kill off the character to be honest, perhaps one day there will be some sort of closure but not now.

• Posted by: MasterKasterborous

October 2nd, 2011 - 9:23am

At the very beginning of ‘The Impossible Astronaut’ there was a black screen with the text dedicating the episode to Elisabeth Sladen. Plus starting tommorow her final series of Sarah Jane Adventures which is a pretty good tribute.

11. Posted by: Arjan Reply

October 2nd, 2011 - 7:00am

It would have been better if – for example – the previous Doctor (David Tennant) had met the Brigadier in an episode (I mean the time the actor wasn’t too ill). It was great to see him alive in The Sarah Jane adventures.

• Posted by: Jason doctorwhoone

October 2nd, 2011 - 8:05am

The 10th Doctor and the Brigadier was to have met in the Wedding of Sarah Jane Smith according to a story i read in a recent Doctor Who Magazine, but sadly Nicholas was too ill to appear.

Rather a shame really, i would have loved to have seen the Doctor and the Brigadier together again since they last appeared together on TV in ” Battlefield “.

• Posted by: Joanthan

October 2nd, 2011 - 4:32pm

He was also going to appear in Death of the Doctor but was too ill then aswell

12. Posted by: Hector Sandler Reply

October 2nd, 2011 - 6:14am

Well I only 1 I can wish they should had put the memories of The Brigadier. It would be great to remember him.

13. Posted by: Peter Reply

October 2nd, 2011 - 1:18am

It had me in tears…Pertwee was my Doctor and obviously the Brig was integral to that era, but it was beautifully done. Was the envelope an invite to the Brig to join him at Lake Silenio? After all it was for those the doctor trusted most

• Posted by: BOOBOO JR

October 2nd, 2011 - 8:16am

I thought that about the envelope too!

14. Posted by: spaceBUZZlite Reply

October 2nd, 2011 - 12:56am

I had a tear in my eye :(

15. Posted by: I Love Cybermen Reply

October 2nd, 2011 - 12:52am

Too sad. Wish he could have lived for ever…

16. Posted by: torchwoodfan101 Reply

October 1st, 2011 - 11:53pm

I don’t think the BBC could have hired a better man for the role of the Brigadier. R.I.P Nicholas.

• Posted by: Commander Strax

October 2nd, 2011 - 9:14am

me too

17. Posted by: MarkusMalice Reply

October 1st, 2011 - 11:38pm

RIP Nicholas Courtney. The Original Unbeatable Brigadier :)

18. Posted by: Jonathan Reply

October 1st, 2011 - 11:04pm

What a good exit for a truly important character!

19. Posted by: Anonymous Reply

October 1st, 2011 - 10:08pm

I think it’s really nice that they have made a character page for the brigadier on the official Doctor Who website now.

20. Posted by: simon w Reply

October 1st, 2011 - 9:54pm

” Good chaps all of them” It was nice to have the Brigadier mentioned in this good episode a shame they did’nt mention Sarah Jane. Cant wait for xmas now.

• Posted by: DOCTOR WHO 10

October 1st, 2011 - 10:14pm

They didn’t mention Sarah Jane because she’s still alive in the whoniverse(the SJA Adventures).Even still they shouldn’t let her die, tell us she’s gone around the world to fight the aliens, let the Doctor hear of Sarah Janes adventures for years to come.Keep Sarah Jane alive in memory of Liz.

21. Posted by: TARDIS DUDE Reply

October 1st, 2011 - 9:42pm

Wonder fall chap. Soz about spelling.

22. Posted by: anthony Reply

October 1st, 2011 - 9:31pm

orrrrrrrrrrrrr i realy thoght finallly they do it and he deserved a good ending so thnaks u doctor who sja on monday did u notice sos i just watched confid on bbc three and on confid rember the tribute on the my sja well the d had long hair so they filmed the last ep on the day of the new seasion day began

23. Posted by: The Doctor Reply

October 1st, 2011 - 9:18pm

Lovely and about time

24. Posted by: David Reply

October 1st, 2011 - 9:17pm

great tribute and actually played a part in the episode