October 28th, 2018 98 comments

What Did You Think of Arachnids in the UK?

Now that the fourth episode of series 11 has aired what did you think? Was it everything you had hoped for or not what you expected.

“Something’s happening with the spiders in this city.”

The Doctor, Yaz, Graham and Ryan find their way back to Yorkshire – and Yaz’s family – only to find something is stirring amidst the eight-legged arachnid population of Sheffield.

• RORY DOCTOR RIVER POND

October 28th, 2018 - 9:08pm

The script relied on too many coincidences! That’s what I was trying to think of. I think that was a major flaw

October 28th, 2018 - 8:58pm

I so badly want Dr Who to blow me away and leave me perched on the edge of my seat, but week after week it just lets me down. That was yet another mediocre episode and no scarier than the Sarah Jane Adventures. Jodie is ok, I like her but it needs to be better.

As for the new companions, please just go back to where Grace falls off that crane in episode one and bung a few mattresses down so she lives, then the Doctor can finally ditch them all and get off this planet for a bit as I’m sick of Earth based stories and characters. It’s time to have a nonhuman companion.

• Doctordredd67

October 28th, 2018 - 8:56pm

Loved it from start to finish. I agree with Who Rules comments above. I’ve been watching since the 60’s and I’m viewing Jodies Doctor as if I’ve seen Who for the first time. Those who hate it so far…Just give it a chance then ‘re watch it all again once the full series has aired. It may not be too sci-fi for some as yet, but remember we are only 4 episodes into a brand new series. I’m looking forward to see what comes next.

• RORY DOCTOR RIVER POND

October 28th, 2018 - 8:55pm

I thought that was really bad. Yaz’s mum was quite dull, as was the villain who so obviously was criticising the USA in a very unsubtle manner. He didn’t really need to be there to be honest. I hate spiders, so watched through my fingers, and if it was a good story I would go with it, but there wasn’t really one. The explanation of how they got big was like something out of a marvel comic, if the place was so toxic, why didn’t they die? Also, what happened to the spider in Anna’s room? I just found it quite flat really. And all a bit too convenient, with the whole panic room thing.
    I’m not feeling this series massively, and am still not fully convinced by the new Doctor, although the companions are beginning to grow on me. Even though I do find them a bit cringy at times. I don’t think they’ve been introduced as strongly as previous ones – probably because there’s more of them.
    Next week looks interesting!

• DannyTheNerd

October 28th, 2018 - 8:44pm

I can’t tell if your being serious or not

• DannyTheNerd

October 28th, 2018 - 8:42pm

Poor episode. This series really lacks the sci fi feel.

October 28th, 2018 - 8:38pm

I am impressed

• The Temporal Jelly Baby

October 28th, 2018 - 8:35pm

A fairly enjoyable monster romp episode. Not exactly a great episode, but enjoyable enough. 7/10 for now.

• Ollie

October 28th, 2018 - 8:32pm

It was ok. I tuned out a few times if I’m being honest. I also thought it was a blatant rip-off of ‘The Green Death’ from 1973 though, so not that original in terms of storyline.

I really liked the CGI TARDIS flying through the vortex; that was superb!

For me, Bradley Walsh is the best actor in it and a real revelation as a companion; his speech about the grief of his dead wife at the end was very moving.

October 28th, 2018 - 8:31pm

Believe me I thought about rebooting doctor who, and believe me resets can be fun. You can remake some stories and not be bogged down by the past

• Tyler Prescott

October 28th, 2018 - 8:29pm

Good. Imagine having to go back to square one in Doctor Who lore…

• Tyler Prescott

October 28th, 2018 - 8:28pm

That would be interesting.

• Tyler Prescott

October 28th, 2018 - 8:27pm

O……K…….

• BlueCrossSale

October 28th, 2018 - 8:17pm

Me and my 9 year old child watched tonight’s episode and are disgusted at the current standard that Doctor Who is at.

The storyline of Arachnids in the UK was easy to understand, had no apparent loose ends, a good pace, plenty of dramatic tension, well directed and was actually fun to watch. This has left me intrigued as to what will happen in the next episode. I also note that the opening title sequence is much shorter too, meaning there is more actual story to watch now.

I am absolutely appalled at the BBC for allowing this story to be aired, it is no where near the calibre of my apparent favourite era of Doctor Who when Steven Moffat was the show runner. During his ‘reign’ the programme was full of loose ends, contained really obviously awful plot devices, terribly directed and just boring to watch. (Realisation hits that he is not returning!)

Shame on you Christopher Chibnall and the BBC for allowing this to happen, you may just be responsible for Doctor Who being popular again. The episode this week didn’t even have Riversong, Missy or that block of wood Clara in it! Plus not even a whiff of fishfingers with custard.

*I will now cry now and watch The Cry.

• Morlu

October 28th, 2018 - 8:14pm

I have not been impressed by the stories this season but this was the worst yet. Just as they were building a set up to something, it abruptly ends. Making the whole adventure pointless. I expected more from Chris Chibnall as I really enjoyed Broadchurch but this has been way below par so far. I like Jodie as the Doctor but they are giving her nothing to do.

• whovian

October 28th, 2018 - 8:12pm

I’m am a massive arachnophobe and I am surprised that felt emotional at the spider mother’s death. I really hope that evil tyrant gets what’s coming to him

• the ergon

October 28th, 2018 - 8:12pm

I actually thought they,d skipped a few scenes.

• Dan 23

October 28th, 2018 - 8:12pm

Does anyone think that guy will become president then read some classified file on the doctor then start to plan something?

October 28th, 2018 - 8:10pm

Boring. I was absolutely bored. Jodie and Bradley saved this episode. And did anyone just hate how the spiders like crawled to the beat of the music.

• Dan23

October 28th, 2018 - 8:09pm

Yeah I read that the showrunner wanted to actually do a reboot of Doctor Who but he was told he would have to continue the series.

• Tim M

October 28th, 2018 - 8:04pm

Enjoyed this episode. 8/10. The cgi spiders looked brilliant. Storyline was adequate, the regulars were very good, and Jodie is becoming a fine Doctor, although no where close to the mighty Tom Baker, or a few others I could mention. It still feels like Doctor Who, but it is more of an ensemble piece. Chibnall has gone back to basics. Hartnell’s first series as the ‘original’ Doctor was treated more as an ensemble piece with Ian, Susan and Barbara. This current series feels like a reboot and an agenda driven vehicle.

• Who rules

October 28th, 2018 - 8:02pm

Very good, and scientifically accurate in terms of the large spider not being able to breath at a certain size. They breath through holes in their skin and above a certain size they wouldn’t be able to take in enough oxygen to function. I don’t understand the recent complaints about the show being childish and for young children. The stories have been aimed at a wide audience and the deaths have not been child friendly. Many people at work and in my family who don’t watch who normally are watching and enjoying the new series. I still love the show and am fully enjoying whittaker’s doctor. I do wonder though if the villains who seem to be getting away with it, Tim Shaw, tonight’s odious trumpesque politician will get their comeuppance at a later date! Not going to look back in to this page, I enjoyed it and that’s all that matters. Friends of mine who do come back to read the comments under strict instructions not to bother telling me.

• The Dalek Whovian

October 28th, 2018 - 8:02pm

Reminded me a lot of The Green Death as it featured over-sized animals and a satirical depiction of corporations and their treatment of the environment.

• T.A

October 28th, 2018 - 8:02pm

Okay episode i liked aspects of it, Jodie is okay still feels like a combination of Matt and David. The spiders were cool and creepy, but the pc stuff with the American man was so un subtle, it made it hard to watch, Yaz was much better in this, graham and Ryan was good as ever, definitely been the stand outs in this season.

6.5/10

• Graham

October 28th, 2018 - 8:00pm

Really hoping for better. Going to watch brain of morbius to make up for my disappointment

• James Guthrie

October 28th, 2018 - 8:00pm

Absolutely brilliant – v scary (arachnophobe) + v emotional (Bradley Walsh knocking it out of the park) – this series is just getting better and better, from a flying start.

• ColinB

October 28th, 2018 - 7:56pm

what happened to all the spiders in the vault and the city????

Confusing

• When The Doctor Was Me

October 28th, 2018 - 7:55pm

Enjoyable, but I was hoping for a scarier, darker tone. Nixe to let Yaz have more to do. Jodie as great as ever. Graham is just brilliant.
    Last week the music was appropreaite to what the scene was conveying. This week it made what could have been creepy, very silly. Shame.
    6/10
    P.s. Am I the only one missing the pre-titles sequences?

• doctorsmith12

October 28th, 2018 - 7:55pm

worst episode of the season, so far. lost interest while watching. if the rest of the season ends up like the last 4, this will end up being the last doctor who series i watch

• The Drums The Never Ending Drum Beat

October 28th, 2018 - 7:54pm

I’m honestly not too sure I thought the episode I think I’m going to have to have a rewatch