October 28th, 2018 98 comments

Poll – What Did You Think of Arachnids in the UK?

Now that the fourth episode of series 11 has aired what did you think? Was it everything you had hoped for or not what you expected.

“Something’s happening with the spiders in this city.”

The Doctor, Yaz, Graham and Ryan find their way back to Yorkshire – and Yaz’s family – only to find something is stirring amidst the eight-legged arachnid population of Sheffield.

October 31st, 2018 - 6:05pm

One of the characters (Robertson I think) mentioned that the panic room was stocked with food so that he could survive 6 months without leaving. I took that to mean there was enough food for the spiders to live out the rest of their lives. You still would have to make the leap that these spiders could eat human food though…..

• T.A

October 31st, 2018 - 4:59pm

I sorry but I think they do have an agenda. In my opinion the way chibnall addressed the gender change was done terrible, with saying doctor who would be behind in the world if he didn’t choose Jodie, also the fact that during the later Moffat years he was doing pointless digs towards men in his episodes, and I would not say it’s small or a minority, an example of this is the trailer when Jodie shatters the class ceiling, look at how many dislikes that trailer got, or look at videos from youtubers such as bowlestrek, a doctor who fan, who talks about the political climate of current doctor who and how it can impact the show for better of for worse, or from other doctors like Peter Davidson, who voiced his well constructed opinion on a female doctor and got unjustly attacked for it. I may not be as connect with show, as I was before, because I feel the show has alienated me and others with their agenda to please an minority, but I will stay with the show, that I group with because I know there is always chance to improve, and I would not be doing justice to show that was my child’s hood.

• ColinB

October 31st, 2018 - 3:21pm

The story had one problem and that was no resolution as it ask more questions than answer.

Pros:
    the CGI spiders were fantastic looking in fact the best I have seen for a while.
    the explanation of the spiders both factual and mutation types was also very good.
    There were elements of the old stories Like Green Death etc paying homage to it
    Even some element from other movies like the shining, B movies of giant spiders etc.
    companion character from all 3 are very good

Cons
    Still not sure about the doctor
    The story dragged on too long and because of that it raised more questions:

What happened to the dead giant spider in the ballroom?
    is it going to decay or will someone clean it up?

What happened to the spiders in the vault?
    Will they die like the giant spider was going to do

What about the spiders in the city especially the one trapped in the flat?
    Are they still there? cause we never saw them going towards the vault only the hotel spiders

what about the 3 corpses, 2 in the tunnel and 1 in the flat?

What happened to the webs it that going to be cleaned up?

What going to happen with the hotel being built over the mines?
    Are they still going to run it

The other hotels over the world built on disused sites are they going to continue.

The company JLS who dumped the waste what happens to them

Too many questions and not enough answers

this I why the story fell down at the end

It was like yeah the giant spider is dead, others are trapped in vault so lets move on to something else and go away

At least the older stories had some questioned answered with some resolution, but no this one.

• Derek Angell

October 30th, 2018 - 10:17pm

This episode did a complete 180 degree turn from Rosa and was great.I watched it a 2nd time and it actually felt better which does not usually happen for me with more tounge-in-cheek stories.Also music and general soundstage are superb and I am just using a PS4 >iplayer>Astro A50 headphones set up.

October 30th, 2018 - 9:19pm

No I thought it was cruel too, poor spiders they always get a bad press and a sad ending.

That said one of the best science fiction novels I have ever read is called “Children Of Time” by Adrian Tchaikovsky, the protagonists are spiders and it is absolutely brilliant. It was the awarded the Arthur C Clarke award for best science fiction of the year 2016

October 30th, 2018 - 8:41pm

I don’t see any agendas being pushed in anyone’s faces. There seems to be a deep seated belief by a vocal minority that this show is pushing ideas on people when it’s only telling stories reflective of many people’s daily experience. If you no longer connect with the show or don’t see the value of telling stories from new perspectives (women, minorities), then don’t watch! By all accounts, the vast majority of viewers are on board with these changes. Ratings are good. Reviews are positive. There’s just a small but vocal group of fans that decided they could not support a female lead before even viewing the show. And now they are ranting about terrible acting, poor writing, PC agendas (whatever that is) to hide the fact that they never intended to give the show a fair shake in the first place.

• The Living Shadow

October 30th, 2018 - 5:49pm

Finally got watched this and it wasn’t great but, that being said, I had a fun time watching it! This was a real mixed bag for me, but the parts that I enjoyed weren’t outweighed by the bits I didn’t like – It was a mix of intentionally funny, so bad it’s funny, and the odd emotional bit in it too. Although it’s really not my kind of episode, there are definitely bits I’d miss if this episode never existed!

Although was I the only person that thought that it was more cruel to make the spiders starve to death then to just put them out of their misery or find some kind of other solution? I mean I hate violence as much as the next person, but I didn’t think it was humane to force all the spiders to be trapped and eventually having to each each other! I mean it’s better then having them killing humans in Sheffield, but still poor spiders 🙁

October 30th, 2018 - 3:08pm

It has nothing to do about halting the shows progression, it is about wanting better writing and acting amongst the rest.

It’s not fair that this show is going from worse to worse? That is why those like myself speak out.

• the ergon

October 30th, 2018 - 12:27pm

We need to see a different side to her character, all we are getting so far seems to be a mimicking of her predecessors. Mccoy was an over the top and rather annoying clown at first but we got to see his dark side in seasons 25 and 26 and didn,t just resort to waving the sonic 3D style at us to remind we are still watching Who and of course it would be a good idea to re-employ some of those senior experienced writers from the past. Also i think some of the location shooting has been a little too ordinary and nothing much as been done to make it look or feel more spectacular, that includes some of the overseas shoots unless most of the budget will be saved for an epic finale.A couple of the stories have, i,m sorry to say come across as a little empty and inconclusive.
    Contrary to a lot of the comments, me, myself am warming to jodie and her gang/fam etc.. and some of the quieter moments have been rather good. Bradley Walsh as been the one who has shone the most so far but I just hope there is more substance in the forthcoming episodes.

• T.A

October 30th, 2018 - 11:02am

Doctor Stu, I think you got someone of the things about the agenda wrong, in the early 2005 the political stuff was done subtle not like in 2015 to now, for example jack did just straight up say he was pan, they made clever references to it, with Martha, when the doctor took her to less forgiving times, they only slightly talked about the issues of thoses times. I don’t fans are against what you said at the bottom, is just that they don’t want an agenda pushed in their face, or certain lines that are targeting a certain type of people for no reason, like with characters like bill or lines in Hell bent, Husbands of river song, Rosa, arachnids in the uk and more

October 30th, 2018 - 10:47am

I agree. Its not fair how some fans feel they have the right to halt the progression of the show. The show needs new viewers or it will die. The reviews from major players are very good and i am so sick of a minority critiscizing a show that is attempting to relaunch after three years of poor ratings.

October 30th, 2018 - 10:22am

I don’t see any authority from Jodie at all, this is one of the reasons she comes across as a weak Doctor!

I will continue to give her a chance as you say but if it is not cutting it then it is only right that we can say so instead of being silenced. As long as it is done respectfully mind!
    It does concern me that those who do not like to hear any negativity want others silenced? This has been done before in history and it does not end well, it is increasingly harder to speak out about anything in case someone is offended! Get a back bone and deal with it is the best thing to do if you ask me.

I personally do not do any social media at all, this is my only outlet and I enjoy five minutes or so a day reading through the comments and adding some too.

• Notalesbiancyberman

October 30th, 2018 - 9:22am

Not Dr Who?…more a spin off like Torchwood but without the scriptwriters plots effects aliens or production budget!

Changing the lead to a female will only get the BBC so far for effect agenda and headlines, now you need a product that people will buy into..think Top Gear and Chris whats-his-face…

• R1ch1e

October 30th, 2018 - 7:45am

I love it too CG. I really can’t complain because this is exactly what I wanted Doctor Who to be again. Don’t get me wrong, I did love what Steven Moffat gave us. Especially the wonderful Peter Capaldi. But the Storys of that era did become dependant on the viewers knowledge of the history of the show, from both modern and classic eras and sometimes could leave me with a bit of a headache. Just my opinion of course.
    The fact is that YOU enjoy it is all that matters. I’m enjoying it too as are so many others. Jodie is great and growing in confidence and is making the role her own. As I say I loved Peter Capaldi but it took time for me, almost a whole series in fact and by the time he left i really wasn’t ready for him to go. But that’s what the shows about, change. Some people like it, some dont and some arn’t sure.

• R1ch1e

October 30th, 2018 - 7:25am

I like your comment Doctor Stu. We have the same views

• Vic

October 30th, 2018 - 5:59am

I’ve watched Doctor Who for a long time; not quite the first few but since the early 70’s at least. While there were some good Doctors and not-so-good ones, I just can’t get with this latest incarnation since she often doesn’t follow or know some of the basic mythology of Doctor Who. I mean the Rosa episode, while interesting, seemed to fly in the face of the Doctor Who premise that some key events in time are set and unchangeable. Timey-whimey stuff. It was brought up several times in other earlier episodes like the Matt Smith and David Tennant eras. It’s why the Doctor couldn’t go back and kill Hitler and prevent WWII. Yet this Doctor has no problem with that stuff.

Secondly, this particular episode – Arachnids in UK – seems to violate the tenet that the Doctor protects the earth and its inhabitants. I mean these are not sentient beings like the Eight Legs but regular, mutated spiders that are killing people. Yet this Doctor gets all sentimental about them for some reason. And the episode just seems to end without much explanation on what happens to the spiders. Very weak writing IMHO. I mean this is the Doctor who destroyed a Cybermen listening post just to get information (A Good Man Goes to War)!!

And then there’s all the politics and anti-american stuff…why? Just to be topical? Who’s going to care in ten years? Weak.

Weak writing, weak plot, weak Doctor. Really, really sad for a series that has lasted so long.

• CG

October 30th, 2018 - 12:24am

I’m a little sad to read some negative comments regarding the episode and series in general. I personally have been loving Jodie’s doctor and although some elements of the episodes could be improved, such as stronger finishes to episodes and characters, we are still only episode 4, and I believe she is taking the more casual, light hearted side to the Doctor – while still showing such sympathy and authority when needed. I would also agree that the episodes are continuing as relatively stand alone and easy to follow – but that is what the BBC aimed to do, make Doctor Who accessible to everyone again. This is only my opinion but I feel as though Jodie is not quite been given the chance by fans quite yet in some instances.

October 29th, 2018 - 10:47pm

Wow this episode had me terrified I do not like spiders at all. Simple resolution and a plot that made sense rather than the convuluted Moffatt messes. I laugh at all the people who say it’s propaganda, they seem to be forgetting all the values and attitudes that were present in Doctor who since the very start and more specifically ever present since 2005. It’s only now in the trump era world where people jump on a bandwagon to pick out things they think are brand new additions to the show that in actual fact have been there since the very beginning. Lgbt, people of colour, anti weapons, strong female leads etc. etc.

• ADAM

October 29th, 2018 - 7:53pm

The Twin Dilemma may have been bad,but i’d still watch it just for Colin’s dangerously unpredictable alien performance. Can’t say the same of Ms Whittaker in anything i’ve seen so far.She’s hopelessly miscast in the role.

• ADAM

October 29th, 2018 - 7:15pm

The BBC trying to reinvent the wheel. If it ain’t broke..etc.

• ADAM

October 29th, 2018 - 7:12pm

This new version is far worse than i ever imagined…another dull episode that had me close to switching off..

October 29th, 2018 - 6:12pm

For me Jodie feels like a copy of Matt and David combined.

October 29th, 2018 - 5:56pm

Did actually, as I thought I might, like this better than the previous 3 episodes but thought there was a bit of anti climax though I was right when I said here before transmission I though this didn’t look like it was going to be a million miles in plot from “The Green Death”.

Except in “The Green Death” the pollution from Global Chemicals (sanctioned by the mad computer BOSS) creating the mutated giant maggot larvae that would metamorphosis into giant fly insects threatened to cause global ecological catastrophe and when it was said the hotel was built over a disused mine tunnels for waste disposal by a company Jack Roberson bought I thought at one point there was going to be a link to the “The Green Death” although that story was set in Wales. But as with “Twice Upon A Time” there was nothing really that much at stake if the queen spider and her offspring weren’t going to really thrive in their mutated state anyway.

Did enjoy Chris Noth’s Trumpesque performance as Jack Robertson.

ROBERTSON 2020. MAKE EARTH SAFE AGAIN

October 29th, 2018 - 5:45pm

Well pointed out R1ch1e, may I concur the same sentiments from a Manchester United fan who can fully sympathise with such a loss.

October 29th, 2018 - 5:41pm

That may well be the case R1ch1e but Matt Smith was a fine Doctor from scene one, Jodie hasn’t done that yet and I very much doubt she will or even can.

October 29th, 2018 - 5:15pm

I’m of the view that your both right and wrong at the same time.

• RORY DOCTOR RIVER POND

October 29th, 2018 - 4:24pm

I think them bumping into an expert on spiders, who was responsible for the spider experiments was a bit too much to be honest

• R1ch1e

October 29th, 2018 - 4:09pm

May I just point out that Matt Smith had never seen Doctor Who before he became the Doctor, apart from Tomb of the Cybermen, which Steven Moffat have him as homework. He turned out just fine, was a great ambassador and still speaks fondly of the show even now.

• R1ch1e

October 29th, 2018 - 4:05pm

I agree. I think it was my favorite of the 4. It was just fun.

Unrelated to Doctor Who, I see you are a Leicester City fan. It must be a sad time for you all. Can I just offer my thoughts and condolences to everyone involved with the club, fan or otherwise after the devastating event from saturday. From a well wishing Aston Villa fan

• Arthurian2

October 29th, 2018 - 2:31pm

At least we could have laughed at the costumes, rather than the script and acting!