November 4th, 2018 183 comments

Poll – What Did You Think of The Tsuranga Conundrum?

Now that the fifth episode of series 11 has aired what did you think? Was it everything you had hoped for or not what you expected.

“Risk to life: absolute.”

Injured and stranded in the wilds of a far-flung galaxy, The Doctor, Yaz, Graham and Ryan must band together with a group of strangers to survive against one of the universe’s most deadly — and unusual — creatures.

November 7th, 2018 - 8:57pm

And unlike Chibnall Who it was actually gripping.

November 7th, 2018 - 8:55pm

Exactly and it’s bordering on passing, if not actually passed, the giving this the benefit of the doubt point unless Chibnall has got something REALLY GOOD lined up for the series wind up/any rumored New Years’ day episode to make up for it which on current form I very much doubt.

Sorry Doctor Stu now that series reality bites on this current form if this were the House Of Commons we would be wanting to lay a motion of no confidence.

• Dalek Eye Stalk

November 7th, 2018 - 8:40pm

‘Bodyguard’ was the best thing on TV this year. The current ‘Doctor Who’ comes nowhere close in writing, acting or quality. Doctor Who’s current ratings are well off the pace of what the ‘Bodyguard’ was achieving.

• Dalek Eye Stalk

November 7th, 2018 - 8:35pm

The issue for me is Jodie Whitaker seems to be playing the title role like a five year old child, especially with all her over exaggerated face pulling. It’s like she’s trying too hard. Trouble is, much of the time it feels like an actor acting, and not a natural characteristic reaction from the situation. I’m not against a female being the Doctor, not at all. But Jodie doesn’t fit the role. She’s great at doing serious dramatic acting, but is unable to convincingly do the lighter sides of a character. So instead it looks and sounds childish. That in turn undermines her dramatic scenes.

• The Prydonian

November 7th, 2018 - 8:28pm

It is all so awful. Im staggered at all the positive reactions to this bowl of simplistic childish slop. This is possibly the worst Doctor Ive seen. No gravitas or charisma at all. I can’t believe the positive responses. What do you think you are watching.I really hate also the BBC publishing only positive hype. They should check out these forums. So sad that the legacy of this unique show has been wrecked. Very sad. I’m going to watch Pyramids Of Mars. (also really unfortunate my honest feelings do not get posted on this site anymore)

• Dalek Eye Stalk

November 7th, 2018 - 8:25pm

I have been particularly underwhelmed by the poor opposition for the Doctor. It appears Chibnall has got rid of classic worthy opponents, for weaker and undesirable opponents. I suppose it’s weak opponents for a weak Doctor. That makes sense.

• Puddle

November 7th, 2018 - 6:21pm

But it’s not just one episode this year most so far have been lacking

November 7th, 2018 - 3:39pm

The story the sun ran was entirely fictional and doesn’t take into account weekly figures and flat out lied about the viewing figures for the previous episodes and failed to mention the 4 million viewers Doctor who was getting last series and the fact that this series of Doctor who has weekly figures similar to the bodyguard, which was the most successful tv drama since 2013

November 7th, 2018 - 3:35pm

There have been loads of tame aliens and monsters that some might call cute or unthreatening looking like the adipose, face of boe, Cassandra, spider droids, Ood, Judoon, brannigan, human Dalek, Chantho, Hath, time beetle, prisoner zero, Silurians, Krafayis, Minotaur, spoonheads, those stupid robots from dinosaurs on a spaceship, wrinkle head from power of 3, snowmen, mr sweet, the teller, skovox blitser,a bunch of trees, Alien disguised as Odin, the lion dude, zygons, a raven, emoji robots and bits of ribbon. This isn’t anything new

November 7th, 2018 - 3:27pm

People have been so desperate to dislike this series that as soon as they find something bad they jump on it and milk it as much as possible. I’ve seen people who have remarked how they’ve surprisingly liked episode 1,2,3 and 4 but now that episode 5 was ‘bad’ (which I don’t agree with) all of a sudden their opinion on the whole series has changed. ‘Series 11 is rubbish it’s pc gone mad’ or whatever they say, despite admitting they’ve liked the previous 4 episodes

November 7th, 2018 - 11:16am

Yes. Replacing vintage Champagne with flat Bucks Fizz.

• Blungering Hinklesburn

November 7th, 2018 - 8:50am

It’s better on re-watch. Not especially good, but perfectly watchable.

I do find it really quite pathetic though, how some fans get so wound up on the basis of one bad-to-average episode. As if any of us could go in there and produce a whole series of dazzlers. The duds have been a part of Doctor Who for as long as it’s existed. They aren’t anything to get angry about, just laugh them off!

If a whole series was of that quality, then yeah – scream away. But that isn’t the case this year at all, nor has it been for any series of NuWho.

• Mick C

November 7th, 2018 - 1:35am

Can anyone, anyone in the World explain to me why anyone would think that was a good design for a Dr Who Monster?, All the superbly done Monsters we have seen from the Daleks to the Master to the Weeping Angels and we get that piece of ****
    Been compared on here to what you would get if Ben 10 & Futurama teamed up to make a Movie about Gremlins.
    The Monsters on Dr Who are supposed to scare us not make our pre School Kids go oh he’s so cute, yes he is.
    It was a great chance to introduce an all new recurring Monster to the Show. The idea was right, a Life form that lives in Space and eats Space Ship energy is something new to Dr who. and they completely blow it by a poorly conceived design.

November 7th, 2018 - 1:04am

Agree Anonymous and the 2 Companions was handled a lot better, Rory started as a recurring Character then come on board after we got used to Amy and it worked superbly throw in the occasional appearance by River and I think Moffatt got it right. Unfortunately got it totally wrong with Clara & Danny(my least favourite new who Character) that’s were I feel Dr Who started to go wrong.

• Mick C

November 7th, 2018 - 12:48am

Every episode of Dr Who I have ever seen was watchable its the lack of re-watchable Episodes since about the time Amy & Rory left that has left me disappointed, count them on one Hand.

• Steve66

November 6th, 2018 - 11:52pm

The Doctor has been with me since he was played by William Hartnell. I have watched each iteration, some in awe, some with respect, some as a source of humour. Others have provided a sense of parity with sci fi of the time. Surprisingly for a BBC show, some episodes have had the ‘wow’ factor and have been comparable with the best of US sci fi.
    I was expecting something new, exciting, different with a gender change at regeneration. Well new and different we do have. Unfortunately the new Doctor doesn’t bring adult excitement with her, merely a sense of stumbling from the A team to the C team. In other words, Dr Who has pulled the levers of the TARDIS and emerged into the world of CBBC. It’s no longer for me but at the age of 66 I’ll suffer it to the end, just to see, and hope, that it will improve.

November 6th, 2018 - 8:53pm

Phew! I know people have their opinions but I was utterly astonished seeing the reviews. I loved it

November 6th, 2018 - 8:48pm

Me too. I can’t stop saying Pting to my friends who like Doctor Who now!

November 6th, 2018 - 8:18pm

Aye,aye,aye!

• R1ch1e

November 6th, 2018 - 8:04pm

According to everything else I’ve read it’s not

• Ade71

November 6th, 2018 - 7:33pm

The only thing that springs to my mind is the old adage “Don’t throw the baby out with bathwater”.

• Derek Angell

November 6th, 2018 - 7:16pm

Well this was a bit Casualty meets Gremlins in space.The pregnant man gag was a bit flat because most folks have run that joke many times in their own heads.The switch from a set up that might produce some heinous xenomorph to a cute ursine like space vandal had me chuckling all day at work._._._I know little things please little minds etc.I am just loving Wittaker in this and for me she is currently sitting 5th behind Tom,Patrick,Jon and Chris.Not the best episode but it cheered me up!

• Tim M

November 6th, 2018 - 6:00pm

The show needs a rest. It’s had a good run for any series made in the 21st century, especially a sci-fi one. What’s clear is Chibnall is unable to write a Christmas episode, because he can’t think up a festive story apparently. What’s also clear is that he can’t even write a decent story in the first half of a full regular series either!

November 6th, 2018 - 5:53pm

I kid you not Tim M, both my wife and daughter have actually said this series is awful and will not watch with me again!
    You never know if it does not improve the Doctor may regenerate sooner rather than later, Eccleston only did one season.
    I am not saying I want Jodie to leave but if she can’t do any more than she is now then for the good of the show she should leave, her Doctor isa poor imitation of any other Doctor, that said it could be down to the poor quality of writing/showrunning?

• Tim M

November 6th, 2018 - 5:52pm

I’ve sadly have re-watched it, and it gets worse on every viewing. It doesn’t improve watching it again, and I won’t be watching it again anytime soon. The issues I have with this story are numerous, and not just about the pregnant man, which was presented on screen in a stupid way anyway!

• the ergon

November 6th, 2018 - 5:25pm

This according to ‘The Sun’. Down to 5.5 Million with this story.

November 6th, 2018 - 4:47pm

I really think people need to rewatch this episode there was no way on this planet that the episode was worse than in the forest of the night, are people’s problems only the pregnant man because this seems to be the case, they’re failing to grasp it’s a parallel between Ryan’s problems with his Dad and actually helped to advance his character development. It wouldn’t have worked with a woman so they made it a male alien

• techmki

November 6th, 2018 - 3:59pm

Tbh I quite liked it, it was just fun really.

• Tim M

November 6th, 2018 - 2:54pm

I fully expect next episodes overnight ratings to be under 6 million, after this truly awful ‘Conundrum’ episode. I thought ‘In the Forest of the Night’ would be the worst episode of new WHO. Chibnall holds that accolade now. Not great for a showrunner!

• chris7

November 6th, 2018 - 2:29pm

Oops. The above should have been with my original comment down the page