December 25th, 2017 251 comments

What did You Think of Twice Upon a Time?

Now that the 12th Doctors final episode has been aired what did you think? Was it everything you had hoped for or not what you expected.

The magical final chapter of the Twelfth Doctor’s (Peter Capaldi) journey sees the Time Lord team up with his former self, the first ever Doctor (David Bradley – Harry Potter, Game of Thrones) and a returning Bill Potts (Pearl Mackie), for one last adventure.

Two Doctors stranded in an Arctic snowscape, refusing to face regeneration. Enchanted glass people, stealing their victims from frozen time. And a World War One captain destined to die on the battlefield, but taken from the trenches to play his part in the Doctor’s story.

An uplifting new tale about the power of hope in humanity’s darkest hours, Twice Upon A Time marks the end of an era. But as the Doctor must face his past to decide his future, his journey is only just beginning…

Doctor Who Twice Upon a Time 2017 Christmas special DVD and Blu-ray

Available to order in the UK from www.amazon.co.uk

Available to order in the USA from www.amazon.com

Extras Include…

• Doctor Who Extra
  • The End Of An Era
  • Doctor Who Panel San Diego Comic-Con 2017

December 25th, 2017 - 7:56pm

The last ten minutes were good I suppose if you took away Nardole, I liked the monster but that plot just stopped very suddenly, Bill wasn’t acting very well considering her standard in some of the episodes in series 10. Good twist with Rusty but I called it as soon as it showed the Dalek mutants running around. It was hardly a spectacular epsiode and the regeneration speech went on far too long and then made me cringe a bit when he started going on about his name and children so didn’t really evoke any emotion from me. But it was nice to hear some familiar music again but it was by no means for me the best Christmas episode it would be fairly near the bottom for me. capaldi deserved something with a little more substance for his final episode I feel moffatt used the extended run time to over stretch his existing scenes rather than actually advance the plot as it all seemed so slow. But at last moffatt has gone so Kaye Chris can bring the sparkle back for me

• Silence will still fall

December 25th, 2017 - 7:55pm

I do find it quite humorous that once the regeneration episode is over people say they’re never watching again, then jump on the bandwagon when the actor nails the part as every one has.

December 25th, 2017 - 7:53pm

True fan? Who are you to suggest we are not true fans.

• Silence will still fall

December 25th, 2017 - 7:51pm

It nearly brought me to tears. It was incredibly moving and powerful.

• T.A

December 25th, 2017 - 7:51pm

Whovian if you look at Chris Chibnalls work you would be just as worried like some of the long time fans are. The bbc are pandering to the fans who are about political correctness, and Chris has not said much about the next season in detail, this is why a lot of fans are leaving or don’t have much faith in the next year of doctor who.

• booboo

December 25th, 2017 - 7:51pm

not really we are not a forum and only about 1 in every 100 visitors leaves a comment

I have always found the “nay sayers” are by far the more vocal group

I also see that those who have difficulty in excepting change are pounced upon rather aggressively from those who don’t

Changing 50 years of history does not come easy to some people.

• Tim M

December 25th, 2017 - 7:50pm

Really enjoyed that. The Christmas Special is normally fairly light weight at the best of times, but I felt this one, whilst still light on plot, contained the right balance of mystery, humour and drama. Top marks to David Bradley for successfully re-creating the First Doctor. One hopes his performance will encourage newer fans to check out some of the First Doctor classic stories. Capaldi was superb too. However, whilst I would give this story 10/10, I do feel it was made purely for fans, and rather alienated many general viewers. Doctor Who under Chris Chibnall must dispense with much nostalgia and continuity, and go forwards. It’s clearly been a series going into itself and own mythology in recent years. It’s reminiscent of the mid 1980’s, and the show didn’t last long after that.

December 25th, 2017 - 7:50pm

You wouldn’t think so sometimes!

December 25th, 2017 - 7:47pm

And pats86 proves my point… just because you don’t approve doesn’t mean the 75% who do are wrong!

• Simon W

December 25th, 2017 - 7:46pm

I loved them using original surviving footage for that regen.

• Simon W

December 25th, 2017 - 7:46pm

Ow come on ppl I wish you lot that have already given up on the show and saying its dead to you. I wish you’d give the new 13th Doctor a chance she might make you change your mind. I know a true fan will watch the show even if there was still a man in charge. Ppl have excepted there being a gay character in the show why can’t you except there being a woman in the lead. I know I’m a fan and I shell be watching even if they change the lead to a LGBT character in the lead. Dr Who is a show I love and I will always watch it.

• T.A

December 25th, 2017 - 7:45pm

We saw the tardis getting destroyed for like three seconds, at least with David’s you saw the damage.

• Silence will still fall

December 25th, 2017 - 7:45pm

Episode was really good. For me the biggest tear jearker scenes were when we found out the captain was the brigadier’s grandfather which was a stunning twist and actually the regeneration of the first doctor into troughton.
    The regeneration I thought was nicely done and the ring falling off her finger was good and remimicint of matt taking his bow tie off. The POV camera I absolutely loved and the ideas that we’re seeing things through the first female doctors eyes was powerful. My only niggle of the regeneration was the tardis is crashing for the 3rd straight time following regeneration. Really hope we see a lot of the POV camera angle in the new series.
    Noticed no funny moments or tomfoolery following the change which is an interesting change, maybe a more serious Doctor although trust the doctor to press the button that’d cause chaos lol…
    Tardis dematerialized while on fire so the survival of the fall Look’s obvious that it’ll rematerialize around her before she hits the ground.
    Imagine however if she did die and was brought back to life temporarily to force another regeneration. My god that would be a twist but 100% unlikely.

• Who rules

December 25th, 2017 - 7:45pm

Quite agree, i try not to read the comments as it upsets me greatly. I’ve watched this show for 42 years now and i still love it. Jody will be great. It is very disturbing to hear some fans talk as they do. It actually makes me ashamed to be a who fan. I won’t look at any other comments relating to my post as I’ve been deeply upset by what some have said before about other posts. As this is in favour of jody and critical of the vocal haters i don’t expect this comment to stay on. In an aside to boo boo i do wish you would remove some of the very negative comments that certain posters seem to be able to post with impunity.

• DannyTheNerd

December 25th, 2017 - 7:45pm

I agree with you Pats, everyone is entitled to their own opinion

• DannyTheNerd

December 25th, 2017 - 7:41pm

Haha, I thought that.

December 25th, 2017 - 7:40pm

You mean some of us are standing up and voicing our opinion? I am sure the BBC would love to shut us up but it ain’t going to happen.

• whovian

December 25th, 2017 - 7:38pm

December 25th, 2017 - 7:38pm

Exactly

December 25th, 2017 - 7:38pm

I find it odd that nearly 75% of the votes above are positive and yet when you read the comments most are negative and some are just unpleasant rants! Rather a skewed site. I loved it. Who will continue as it ever has. To those who are rabidly upset about a female doctor, either don’t watch or just get over it. I fully intend to enjoy the show as i always have.

• The Dalek Whovian

December 25th, 2017 - 7:37pm

This story had great acting, special effects and music, and David Bradly did an amazing performance as the First Doctor. But in my opinion, the scenes where he was being sexist felt very cringey and mostly out of character.

• D0CT0R WH0

December 25th, 2017 - 7:36pm

Even the Tardis doesn’t like the new doctor. It only decided to throw her off!

December 25th, 2017 - 7:35pm

And I do respect your opinion.

December 25th, 2017 - 7:33pm

I was only asking, and you can’t have 13 out of ten, it is mathematically impossible. Anyway I’m happy you can watch such drivel and actually enjoy it, I can’t.

• whovian

December 25th, 2017 - 7:29pm

This was supposed to be under the comment on the first post

• 12th doctor fan

December 25th, 2017 - 7:28pm

Loved Peter twigged leftbridge Stewart months ago, but next year I won’t care,

• whovian

December 25th, 2017 - 7:26pm

The same show as you Pats86. What you think is ur opinion. Those of us understand the show is always changing will understand and continue to watch. I admit that I felt strongly against a woman Doctor, but then I changed my opinion, it’s not about political correctness, I just feel its not justified to to judge someone without at least giving the said person a fair chance.

I’m very glad that Moffat is now no longer head writer as he just didn’t seem to put his all into it. Now these are My own opinions and I’d like you to at least respect them, even if you don’t agree.

• The Original Time Lord

December 25th, 2017 - 7:14pm

its the end of an era in more ways than one. Love the idea that this new Doctor is an imposter. I’m done, I won’t be watching anymore, it’s got too siilly under Moffat and looks like it’ll just be the same under Chibnall with the desperate casting attempts to make it relevant.

• Waterloo Curve

December 25th, 2017 - 7:12pm

The First Doctor was a delight.

December 25th, 2017 - 7:07pm

Doctor mod, come back and do not let the “we accept anything” fans win. Speak your mind and voice the opinion you want.