December 25th, 2017 251 comments

What did You Think of Twice Upon a Time?

Now that the 12th Doctors final episode has been aired what did you think? Was it everything you had hoped for or not what you expected.

The magical final chapter of the Twelfth Doctor’s (Peter Capaldi) journey sees the Time Lord team up with his former self, the first ever Doctor (David Bradley – Harry Potter, Game of Thrones) and a returning Bill Potts (Pearl Mackie), for one last adventure.

Two Doctors stranded in an Arctic snowscape, refusing to face regeneration. Enchanted glass people, stealing their victims from frozen time. And a World War One captain destined to die on the battlefield, but taken from the trenches to play his part in the Doctor’s story.

An uplifting new tale about the power of hope in humanity’s darkest hours, Twice Upon A Time marks the end of an era. But as the Doctor must face his past to decide his future, his journey is only just beginning…

Doctor Who Twice Upon a Time 2017 Christmas special DVD and Blu-ray

Available to order in the UK from www.amazon.co.uk

Available to order in the USA from www.amazon.com

Extras Include…

• Doctor Who Extra
  • The End Of An Era
  • Doctor Who Panel San Diego Comic-Con 2017

• THE ERGON

December 25th, 2017 - 9:13pm

I felt he slightly outshone capaldi and it felt wrong to want more of him especially given this was capaldis final story and that monologueat the end felt overstretched even more so than matt smiths. No he never will be William Hartnell but as a replacement i couldn,t imagine a finer actor than david Bradley.

• Doctor mod

December 25th, 2017 - 8:58pm

Thank you pats86 and dannythenerd and booboo for letting me having my own opinion. I have to say I am a life long fan, earliest memory is of the tom Baker years. Watched throughout the up and downs, ( twin dilemma, one example) but just recently its hasn’t been good, so I feel its not for me anymore, but am still a fan of what has been before.

• Simon W

December 25th, 2017 - 8:46pm

I loved them using original surviving clip of the first ever regen that was good to see.

• Judooning

December 25th, 2017 - 8:34pm

My third favourite Christmas episode after The Christmas invasion and Voyage of the damned.

The first Doctor had us all in stitches when he slowly opened the TARDIS doors and exclaimed he’d give Pearl a smacked bottom if she continued with language like that.
    I loved the chemistry between the two doctors. And nice to see new Earth back! Would have been even better to have the a member of the cat-kind on the screen but that’s just me being a RTD era fan.
    And I really thought it was Davros in that tower the way the Doctor was saying “you” rather than “it”.
    A brilliant send off for Capaldi. Jodie had a very similar start to Matt Smith’s Doctor. TARDIS blowing up and falling out the TARDIS before the end credits rolled. obviously an excuse to get a brand new interior.

• booboo

December 25th, 2017 - 8:34pm

personally i am not a fan of other Actors playing original actors (simply because i dont think a new generation should grow up thinking David Bradley is the 1st Doctor – he isn’t)

having said that he did a fine job and the episode was the better for it, overall enjoyed it but a lot of missed opportunities in this one.

• T.A

December 25th, 2017 - 8:30pm

What did everyone think of the first doctor?

• booboo

December 25th, 2017 - 8:28pm

she looked familiar

• Simon W

December 25th, 2017 - 8:28pm

Booboo did u recognise that the lady playing Bill’s foster Mum also played Valerie in Gridlock Brannigans wife that was Jennifer Hennessy

December 25th, 2017 - 8:21pm

Simon W, I was absolutely gutted that Jodie had been cast as the Doctor, I was ready to quit there and then but as a life long fan I will give Jodie a go at the very least. I know I will struggle and may end up not being able to continue watching.
    I fully understand why some will give up right now and respect their decision. 50 years of established lore wiped out by Moffat, Chibnall and the BBC and alienating many long time fans, splitting the fan base too. The whole thing absolutely stinks and they should be ashamed of themselves.
    Teresa May this week has said she would like to see James Bond be female? The world has gone mad!

• Brendan

December 25th, 2017 - 8:20pm

A brilliant episode, best Christmas special ever. Not one for the casual viewer but as a fan for 40 years i thoroughly enjoyed it & reminded me why i love this program so much. Particularly happy not to have too much Christmas “cheesy” bits in it, i thought the acting was superb. As with any new doctor i am excited & nervous at the same time, which is what makes its special. I am sorry for those that looked forward to it but didn’t enjoy, i suppose writing a Christmas special is very difficult knowing you need festive bits in it as well as wanting the casual fan to enjoy but contain enough for the seasoned fan. Sometimes i feel having a regeneration scene in the special is asking rather a lot of the writers. In terms of opinions all should be respected, good or bad, these opinions show how passionate we are & hopefully some of the posters on here will in time write for the show & ensure a long future.

• booboo

December 25th, 2017 - 8:17pm

Would have been the ideal time, if not they could actually have bought back anyone from the distant past as a “real surprise”

I also thought we were going to get a “city on the edge of forever” moment with the Brigadiers father

• booboo

December 25th, 2017 - 8:15pm

that’s right, also taking over in death in paradise which i’m looking forward to, think that’s why many though Kris Marshall would be Dr 13

James Dreyfus too over in series 6 or My Hero and in bottomed

• Tim M

December 25th, 2017 - 8:13pm

I’m surprised they didn’t bring back Carole Ann Ford as Susan. As that was also on Capaldi’s wish list along with the Mondasian Cybermen. Missed opportunity there. With the First Doctor in ‘Twice Upon A Time’ , it would have been an ideal moment for Carole to have made a cameo appearance as an older Susan.

• booboo

December 25th, 2017 - 8:11pm

despite what people say they will give a chance, i’m sure of that, what happens next, well time will tell.

• Silence will still fall

December 25th, 2017 - 8:11pm

Its one of my favorites too. I actually love Matt’s entrance and the Geronimo catchphrase too. Possibly my favorite entrance of a new doctor.
    I’m sure she’ll be amazing and like every other doctor people will see it

• T.A

December 25th, 2017 - 8:10pm

Honestly, I don’t care if it is man or women, the thing that gets me upset is if they change the show into a pc agenda show.

• Simon W

December 25th, 2017 - 8:09pm

Booboo I remember that show Thurmo man was played by Ardal O’Hanlan I thought it was funny he then played Brannigan in Gridlock.

• T.A

December 25th, 2017 - 8:08pm

I honestly don’t know know how she going to survive that fall, regeneration energy can help you buy only to and extent.

• Tim M

December 25th, 2017 - 8:07pm

David Bradley and William Hartnell are both a delight as the criminally underrated First Doctor. Hey, even Richard Hurndall in ‘The Five Doctors’ is a delightful First Doctor too.

• Simon W

December 25th, 2017 - 8:07pm

Pats86. I don’t mean you there are ppl on here that have given up on the show just because there is a Time Lady in charge now. all I’m saying is if they give her a chance. And I do respect your opinions. Its the ppl that says the show is dead to them that gets me. True fans know and love the show no matter what happens. As the Doctor once said Time and Tide wait for no man. I hope u will forgive for saying that.

• booboo

December 25th, 2017 - 8:06pm

true fan never works for me, you can still be selective

my mind goes back to My Hero, same show, same characters but a change in lead actor that for me made it un-watchable

December 25th, 2017 - 8:05pm

You are probably correct T.A and that is a shame

• T.A

December 25th, 2017 - 8:05pm

The mondasian cybermen are peters favourite DW villain, and people have been wanting the mondasian cybermen back so Moffat a good thing and brought them back, even if he did not use them to their full potential.

• Tim M

December 25th, 2017 - 8:03pm

I think that was the original plan. But as Chibnall didn’t want his first story to be the Christmas Special, Moffat remained and Capaldi agreed to do one more story out of contract. If Capaldi had said no, then they wouldn’t have been a Christmas Special this year.

December 25th, 2017 - 8:02pm

I’ve still not got a clue why they had a mondasian cybermen episode finale for series 10 and did nothing with it for the Christmas special. I’d have had the ship from The Doctor falls bring the cybermen over to the South Pole and made this Christmas special into a cybermen episode with the first doctor instead of what we actually got.

• T.A

December 25th, 2017 - 8:00pm

Especially forced change.

December 25th, 2017 - 7:59pm

I watched the end of time yesterday, (one of my favorite Christmas specials) and when he regenerated into 11 I remembered the first time I watched it and thinking how I immediately disliked Matt Smith, with Tens clothes on he didn’t look like the doctor and his stupid geromino catchphrase made me cringe but then he had his time as the doctor and I grew to love him, and then the same with Capaldi (10 is still the best by miles for me). So it’s not fair at all to not give Jodie a chance to shine

• T.A

December 25th, 2017 - 7:58pm

I think it would have been better if 12 regenerated at the end of the Doctor falls.

• booboo

December 25th, 2017 - 7:57pm

not removing any of them as people have the right to their opinions as long as they stick to the rules.

we only remove stuff that crosses lines (and nothing has been removed so far)

If negativity upsets. with respect don’t go anywhere near social media.

• T.A

December 25th, 2017 - 7:56pm

The true fans are the ones the bbc don’t care about. The bbc are pandering to a new audience. It started in series 9 through ten and I hope they stop but it doesn’t look likely.