April 15th, 2017 133 comments

What did You Think of Series 10 Episode 1 The Pilot?

Now that the highly anticipated first episode of series 10 has been aired what did you think? Was it everything you had hoped for or not what you expected.

Two worlds collide when the Doctor meets Bill.

A chance encounter with a girl with a star in her eye leads to a terrifying chase across time and space.

Bill’s mind is opened to a Universe that is bigger and more exciting than she could possibly have imagined – but who is the Doctor, and what is his secret mission with Nardole on Earth?

The Doctor is played by Peter Capaldi, Bill by Pearl Mackie and Nardole by Matt Lucas.

Written by Steven Moffat

Doctor Who Series 10 Parts 1 and 2 Blu-ray / DVD

Available to order in the UK from www.amazon.co.uk

Available to order in the USA from www.amazon.com

Peter Capaldi returns as Doctor Who for twelve thrilling adventures. He is joined by new companion, Bill (played by Pearl Mackie), along with returning loveable alien, Nardole (played by Matt Lucas).

• the ergon

April 16th, 2017 - 1:22pm

If the doctor can meet his former incarnations why not the master? See hes regained the ainley/delgado beard.

April 16th, 2017 - 1:16pm

Bill appears OK after the first episode, I hope she continues to be normal, I say that because Clara seemed OK at first and look what a disaster she turned out to be, the worst companion ever (even Adric had been more likeable)
    Someone else has stated on here that it is better with 3 in the TARDIS, I agree and Nardole will help with that chemistry hopefully.

April 16th, 2017 - 1:06pm

Like it or not it is a ridiculous plot line to me and many others, and it can be reversed if the REAL Master kills Missy off! Moffat has caused this mess, he should clear it up, yes it already happened but it can be fixed.

I like Missy, but as I have already said she should have been a crazy Romana, Susan his missing wife or someone completely new.

• Exterminator

April 16th, 2017 - 12:51pm

I like how Nardole has become the Dr’s comedic robotic bodied servant/butler. It works better now that Bill’s arrived. There should always be 3 in the Tardis.

• Mark Belsom

April 16th, 2017 - 12:00pm

Could be the Master regenerating into Missy.

• JasonisnotaRobot

April 16th, 2017 - 11:25am

Maybe Missy is just a crazed fangirl who has forced herself into the role of The Master

• Koquillian

April 16th, 2017 - 11:13am

its most likely a fake out though. i heard there is a dystopian future episode mid-series, sort of like turn left so its not his actual regeneration.

• The Outcast

April 16th, 2017 - 10:36am

I reckon Missy would be good, IF she wasn’t constantly trying to be the Doctor’s friend. She’s a villain, not the Doctor’s friend. She used to be, but isn’t now, so stop trying to pander to all the shipper fans.

April 16th, 2017 - 10:27am

“That ridiculous plot line” already happened! MISSY IS THE MASTER!

• DannyTheNerd

April 16th, 2017 - 10:17am

Ok episode. Could have been a lot better. I do wish they would stop spoiling the Doctors regeneration though.

• DalekAgent

April 16th, 2017 - 9:39am

Really enjoyed this episode and really looking forward to the other episodes. I liked Bill and i liked Nardole but i dont get why a lot of people dont like him, i found him funny especially in the scene where there all in the TARDIS and Bill wants the toilet and Nardole says “Oooh, i’d leave it for a minute or two”

April 16th, 2017 - 9:26am

I loved Bill’s TARDIS reaction and one of Matt Smith’s themes in the background, but I always love it when the companion goes back outside again to check if it’s actually smaller on the outside, like Rose, Donna and Martha

• Exterminator

April 16th, 2017 - 9:18am

Sorry I disagree completely. I absolutely love Missy and can’t wait to see what she’s been up to since we last saw her.

• pats86

April 16th, 2017 - 9:15am

Great to see the real Master at the end of the trailer, I hope he kills Missy and stops that ridiculous plot line from actually happening.
    Missy would be better as Romana or Susan, she just can’t replicate any of the Master’s past selves IMO.

• Lharkins

April 16th, 2017 - 8:29am

I enjoyed this episode a lot. The return of the movellans and the reference to all of the doctors classic screwdrivers as well as the comedic questions asked by bill.
    A very good episode which surpassed my expectations of what was going to be shown.

• prototype dalek

April 16th, 2017 - 7:45am

Loved seeing all the Classic Sonic’s as well, really good touch and reference

• Dalek The Supreme

April 16th, 2017 - 6:28am

This was a highly enjoyable episode. The story was refreshingly simple, the Doctor and Nardole are making a surprisingly entertaining duo, Bill is shaping up to be a pretty good character so far, and they actually made good use of the Daleks, despite them not being the focus of the episode. The pictures of River and Susan were a really nice touch, and the cameo by the Movellans was also really clever. The repeating game is a bit old at this point, especially since we’ve already had a water-based enemy that repeats words in a previous Steven Moffat-written episode, but I did find that it helped further the story nicely. The twist behind what the water really was was really touching, though I feel the episode should have explained what it was a little better than sentient fuel. I imagine the Vault is going to be the big overarching plot of the season, and while it’s a lot simpler than the Pandorica Opens or Silence Will Fall, I think we need a simpler story arc after the mess that was Series 8’s “heaven” arc and the incomprehensible chaos that was Series 9’s “hybrid” arc.

• Mick181

April 16th, 2017 - 5:35am

Do we read anything into the picture of Susan or are the Photos just family pictures for the Doctor sitting on his Office desk? and don’t mean anything beyond that.
    What could be in the Vault? My suspician is whatever it is it ends up causing hes Regeneration.

• Al

April 16th, 2017 - 4:37am

Bill isn’t appealing to me. I found her dull compared to Clara and Martha, but we’ll see if she improves in the weeks ahead. Loved the references to Clara and Susan however and the Movellans looked great.

• B hoppe

April 16th, 2017 - 2:57am

S still watching, but the skaro twist
    is a good one

• Tim M

April 16th, 2017 - 1:45am

Very good episode. Had a slow start, but the pace picked up when Nardole showed up, and it didn’t let up. Nice to see the Movellans again, if only briefly. Overall I’d give ‘The Pilot’ episode 8/10.

April 16th, 2017 - 1:35am

What would you know you like lord of the rings

• Dr RevWho

April 16th, 2017 - 1:06am

It was alright in my opinion. The relationship between Bill and Heather was too rushed to leave any real emotional impact on me at the end, and I didn’t think it was clear enough what the puddle thing actually was, or what its motives were, but I did on the whole quite like Bill as a companion (head-and-shoulders above Clara thus far – it is SO refreshing to see the Doctor take on a companion just because he likes her and not because of some massive conspiracy surrounding her (so far)) and I really enjoyed Capaldi’s performance (as usual). Also, was it just me, or did it really feel like Nardole was an after-thought in this episode? That’s the impression I got because I could so easily see this episode playing out without him. Furthermore, the score really bugged me in this episode, and I can’t help but feel that Murray Gold (despite having done great work for the show in the past) is beginning to outstay his welcome. Overall it was OK. Could have been better, but could have been worse.

• Dr RevWho

April 16th, 2017 - 12:58am

Anyone else think he looks a bit like Simon Pegg?

• The Surgeon

April 16th, 2017 - 12:29am

Much much better than I expected. Thought Nardole was exactly what was needed for Capaldi’s Doctor. Adored Series 9 to bits but if this is the kind of feel for Series 10 then I could be in for a new favourite. Pearl Mackie looks an inspired piece of casting

• Simon W

April 16th, 2017 - 12:13am

it was meant to be but the SUN spoiled it by saying that he was coming back as the master. So the BBC had to conform it. Don’t you think (to me this is) that the master is looking a lot like the Roger Dilgeldo master with the goatee and all that.

• Olliander Woods

April 15th, 2017 - 11:31pm

there has to be a goatee appreciation society somewhere…

• JasonisnotaRobot

April 15th, 2017 - 11:26pm

I like how the whole episode acted as sort of a guide for beginners, except when the Daleks came in, they just expect people to know them

• RORY DOCTOR RIVER POND

April 15th, 2017 - 11:15pm

The actual episode I think was meh – but Bill made it! I quite liked her, she was just so normal
    The Master returning was like OOOOOOHHHH!!

• MONKEY MONK MONK

April 15th, 2017 - 11:09pm

I believe we will find out about The Vault later on in the series.

And yes that is the Doctor, it looks like he went back in time (after Bill said that there weren’t many photos of her mum), just to take a photo for Bill in the future. Thats why the rug was under the TARDIS later