April 15th, 2017 133 comments

What did You Think of Series 10 Episode 1 The Pilot?

Now that the highly anticipated first episode of series 10 has been aired what did you think? Was it everything you had hoped for or not what you expected.

Two worlds collide when the Doctor meets Bill.

A chance encounter with a girl with a star in her eye leads to a terrifying chase across time and space.

Bill’s mind is opened to a Universe that is bigger and more exciting than she could possibly have imagined – but who is the Doctor, and what is his secret mission with Nardole on Earth?

The Doctor is played by Peter Capaldi, Bill by Pearl Mackie and Nardole by Matt Lucas.

Written by Steven Moffat

Doctor Who Series 10 Parts 1 and 2 Blu-ray / DVD

Available to order in the UK from www.amazon.co.uk

Available to order in the USA from www.amazon.com

Peter Capaldi returns as Doctor Who for twelve thrilling adventures. He is joined by new companion, Bill (played by Pearl Mackie), along with returning loveable alien, Nardole (played by Matt Lucas).

• The Outcast

April 17th, 2017 - 10:31am

I found Nardole alright in this one. I mean, he’s got no reason being there really, but one or two of his lines made me simile, most notably the ‘We got there eventually’ line.

• 47

April 17th, 2017 - 10:02am

It was O’K.
    I liked the story, Bill was much better than the introduction skit that came out to introduce the character, and I look forward to seeing more. I just hope they don’t dumb things down too much ( “I fatted her..”) no need for that, and it did appear The Doctor slowed down for puffing billy…. (no pun intended) … I do like Capaldi, and hope he gets strong stories for him and the character development/growth of his Doctor, without it always being about the companions and how they lead or develop him.
    Nardole is a waste of space, one would hope for less screen time, or better still, just be quiet, or meet an awesome grisly ending. And none of those will happen, so just grit my teeth and put up with it. Why does Moffat perpetuate with constant need for woeful comic relief -it’s terrible, and far too many toilet gags….. No need for any of them.
    Overall then for this episode, I quite enjoyed it, positive start for the season, and I look forward to the rest of it. Good, good !!

• booboo

April 17th, 2017 - 9:55am

Tongue in cheek remark

I think they assume you are in the USA (when Class was on)

• When The Doctor Was Me

April 17th, 2017 - 9:37am

I don’t understand? I’m given my opinion on this episode!

• The Outcast

April 17th, 2017 - 8:09am

I find Missy being Romana, Susan or even the Rani just a bit weird. I think Missy should be an Android copy of the Master. That’d mean she is based off the Master, but isn’t due to a malfunction or something.

• Wibbly Wobbly, Timey Wimey

April 17th, 2017 - 5:47am

Overall I enjoyed this episode very much. The story’s simplicity was very welcome after Season Nine, and I liked Bill a lot.

I also found Nardole to be improved. He didn’t seem to be as goofy as before, and I liked how the Doctor went to Australia (I live there).

Is the Doctor creating replica’s of his past screwdrivers as keepsakes, because he doesn’t have some of his sonic’s. His previous one, for instance, which appears in this episode, was lost in Season 9.

Also, I found it annoying that they played Clara’s theme music when the Doctor was about to wipe Bill’s memory. Why are they doing this?

• The Outcast

April 17th, 2017 - 1:55am

But Missy never tries to invade the world or get more lives. She just follows the Doctor around the place doing vaguely evil things. Turning the dead into Cybermen as a present is just plain stupid, she could have killed the Doctor with that, shes only in Magician Apprentice to explain away her survival.

• Whorules

April 17th, 2017 - 1:27am

Sorry again pats86, didn’t make it clear, the comment about if it offends you stop watching, wasn’t aimed at you, it’s a general comment. It’s funny, I have a friend at work who’s older than me, old enough to have watched power of the daleks. He told me that at the time he hated It! Said he didn’t like this new weird guy and vowed not to watch anymore
    Of course he said by the end he watched the whole story but he still didn’t take to Troughton until evil of the daleks. Just goes to show doesn’t it. Oh, he didn’t watch highlanders or the underwater menace but came back for the cybermen. He still kicks himself for not watching those stories though

• Whorules

April 17th, 2017 - 1:11am

Relax pat86, I wasn’t implying anything about you, I’m a child of the 70s as well, although oddly I wouldn’t say I looked at the doctor as a role model think I looked at the companions more for that, not gender just attitude, honesty, bravery, selflessness, think that’s why I struggled with some of the 80s companions and the odd way in which they didn’t seem to want to be the TARDIS! I’ll watch the show regardless of what happens, I always have even if I’m not keen on what’s going on. I liked Colin baker as an actor, but found his TV stories a struggle then came Mccoy and I fell in love with who all over again. Things change. If a woman is cast a woman is cast. As long as she can act, well that’s all I care about.

• Sid Rat

April 17th, 2017 - 12:15am

I enjoyed that, a better episode than many previous 12th Doctor episodes. Am warming a little now to the 12th doctor.

• The Living Shadow

April 16th, 2017 - 11:30pm

The chemistry between the Doctor, Nardole and Bill was excellent in this episode, in my opinion. I adore seeing the Doctor as the teacher/professor figure (literally in this case) to Bill. I really enjoyed seeing Nardole too, his interactions with Bill and the Doctor provided a lot of heart and fun, without getting in the way! I’m looking forward to seeing the trio again next week and the rest of the series!

• Elijah Ellerbe

April 16th, 2017 - 11:30pm

Why were you on here posting. you should have been watching class

April 16th, 2017 - 10:24pm

Never said it offends me! I simply don’t like the idea. I am like many others a life long fan (1970 onwards) to me the Doctor was a male role model like no other, why not just have a new female Time Lord with new adventures of her own?
    I do embrace change….when he regenerates. No need to reflect change for a better attitude in the world by changing the Doctors gender, after all he has been doing this since 1963 and horror of horrors as a MALE!
    I agree gender isn’t important or shouldn’t be, but as I say the Doctor is my childhood hero and I don’t like this gender change mess that Moffat has created, or am I not alowed to have such thoughts? It appears that way when some say “stop watching then” most will watch forever even if he remains male, many would stop if he became female and we all know this (not saying I would stop)

• Whorules

April 16th, 2017 - 10:22pm

Moffat isn’t saying time Lords change gender all the time just that it can happen and that they don’t care. The time Lord in hell bent had been a man once in what? Ten bodies? I don’t understand the reaction to this. How do we know the master has always been a man? Delgado is usually written as the last incarnation of the master, Peter pratt having tried to regenerate after using up all regenerations. So now he’s a woman so what

• When The Doctor Was Me

April 16th, 2017 - 10:14pm

Having just rewatched the episode i’ve come to the following opinion:-
    – The story was ok. The pacing seemed off and it kept jumping around and felt rushed for doing so. The Daleks seemed shoehorned in just for the sake of it and had barely any impact on Bill. They are meant to the scary!
    – I enjoyed Bill as a character and look forawrd to more but i feel had the story been better paced and they stayed in one place she would have developed better. Its like Moffat wanted to show it all at once as apose to gradually introducing the different concepts, and this leaves me thinking what more is there for her to know. It makes it look like he wanted it all done instantly so he can get on with the rest of the series.
    – Capaldi was good as usual.
    – Nardole though not as annoying as before served no purpose to the story what so ever.
    – As far as episodes go, its by no means the worst but overall it left me a little deflated.

• Whorules

April 16th, 2017 - 10:13pm

Here’s another change in time Lord biology. At some point between wheel in space and spearhead from space the doctor gains a heart! Unless doctor Gemma Corwen is a particularly poor doctor, she makes no mention of a second heart beat. Now we just accept time Lords have 2 hearts. Until spearhead he didn’t.

• Whorules

April 16th, 2017 - 9:53pm

Here’s one to think about in the “it’s never happened before” argument.

In 1975 a major change to who continiuty took place, did fans react angrily? Not sure, but it contradicted established lore and from the same writer who originally established said lore. A new character was introduced – davros. Now in established who lore the daleks came from a race called the Dals not kaleds, they evolved out of the neutron, not genetic experiments, in all stories prior to genesis the daleks were supreme, then davros arrives and the dalek spend the rest of the classic era playing henchmen to a chap in a bath chair!
    So here’s my point, fans should be furious over this, they should have been railing over the changing of an established idea. But we didn’t we just got on with enjoying the show. In saying that time lord’s gender can change moffat is just reflecting a changing and for the better attitude in the world. Gender is unimportant. Embrace change. If we didn’t who wouldn’t have survived so long. If it offends you so much – then stop watching… I for one will continue to watch and try to be positive.

April 16th, 2017 - 8:46pm

Props to ya Mawma

• Spamella

April 16th, 2017 - 8:31pm

i have been looking forward to watching the new series very much and had enjoyed watching the first story very much, It was good to see the Doctor on top form, Nardole brought many comical moments and Bill was very very excellent as the new companion who enjoys everything scifi and mysterious events. i shall enjoy the rest of the series very much with so many enemies to deal with.

April 16th, 2017 - 8:09pm

I just wanna say that all of the comments that I’ve seen of yours I agree with and I applaud you for some people are just…

April 16th, 2017 - 8:07pm

Pats86 maybe the doctor has. Ever benn a woman because they were scared of the backlash from people if the doctors a woman so be it that’s cool great it’s a step forward

April 16th, 2017 - 8:05pm

I don’t care the Master is now female it doesn’t bother me but by my understanding, John simm gets taken back to gallifrey by Rassilon at the end of the end of time and presumably ‘dies’ and regenerates into missy but is trapped due to the time lock. Once gallifrey is saved he’s able to escape and peruse the doctor now as Missy. Thats what I thought happened in the timeline so I was assuming that john simm regenerates directly after the end of time which is why him meeting missy wouldn’t make sense as there’s no room to squeeze this meeting in so then I theoried that maybe I was wrong and Missy came before Simm that’s all I was saying. I think. I dunno.

• A

April 16th, 2017 - 7:40pm

Wait… What? Pats86… You think Missy should be Susan?! Missy, who tried to snog the Doctor’s face off, should be his GRANDDAUGHTER!
    As for Romana, she was always the responsible one as I recall. What do you think either of them could have gone through to become Missy?

April 16th, 2017 - 7:20pm

And Simm is way superior to Gomez’s Master/Missy.

April 16th, 2017 - 7:17pm

Whorules, how come the Doctor never changed gender during ALL his regenerations before he was given more by the Time Lords? If gender is a fluid for Time Lords?
    Can’t be that fluid can it? Only since Moffat got his hands on the show did this happen! Never happened before or mentioned before!

• Whorules

April 16th, 2017 - 6:50pm

Missy is the current master, I don’t know why people are so hung up on this. Master is resurrected for the time war, he goes into hiding as yana regenerates into simm, gets trapped on gallifrey, gallifrey returns to the universe in hiding and master leaves regenerating at some point into missy. It’s been established that gender in time Lords is fluid, and not an issue for them, so don’t worry about it. If the doctor had reacted in shock and horror at the news that the master was now female or the if the time Lord who changed male to female in hell bent had reacted with anything other than a shrug then fine, that would have meant it’s unusual for gender change but they don’t so gender change isn’t an issue with time Lords.
    I much prefer Michelle gomez to simm. More to the point I would like to see simm get a chance at better stories than the ones he had which I didn’t rate, give him better stories and I’ll reacess him. But for me missy is the best master since Delgado.

• cc

April 16th, 2017 - 4:10pm

The episode was good, glad they have brought Nardole back. Bill is a good companion, although am disappointed with the fact that thr Dalek/Movellan war was on screen for little more than a minute. Moffat stated he did not want the media making a huge deal of Bill being gay, yet thats what the focus of the episode was on.

I will admit though that it was a good way of introducing the show to a new audience.

However, i really cannot understand why there are so many people hating Missy and Nardole. Missy is a female version of the Master, just deal with it. The Doctor’s personality changes each time he regenerates, so obviously so does the Master’s. And now hes changed gender, she is bound to be flirtatious with the Doctor, its her way of winding him up.

Everyone seems to blame Jenna Coleman for a “terrible” companion role as Clara, but you all seem to forget that its down to the writers. Mffat created Clara Oswald. So all of you saying that Moffat does a great job, bear in mind, he made Clara. And for me personally, Clara was a great companion, and it looks like Bill is following in her footsteps.

• Mr Schnibbley

April 16th, 2017 - 3:36pm

I think the vault will be a massive anti climax as all moffats arcs have been, why coouldnt they just have a series with just great adventures climaxing in the cybermen two parter without having to have some season long arc.

April 16th, 2017 - 2:39pm

Missy might be a incarnation before John Simm instead of after him so it would make more sense if they meet eachother

• the ergon

April 16th, 2017 - 1:27pm

Not a classic but still good fun. The opening, with the tardis being in the university study reminded me a little of professor chronotis in shada with shades of rose in school reunion serving chips.