November 23rd, 2020 22 comments

Captain Jack is back! – Revolution of the Daleks

One of the most iconic characters in the Whoniverse is returning for the upcoming Festive Special as John Barrowman MBE puts on his famous coat once more and reprises his role as Captain Jack Harkness.

The cheeky Captain left viewers reeling in the series 12 episode, Fugitive of the Judoon, when he made a brief surprise appearance with a stark warning for Yaz, Ryan and Graham to pass on to the Doctor before disappearing.

‘Revolution of the Daleks’ will air over the festive period on BBC One with more details to be revealed soon.

In the upcoming special titled, Revolution of the Daleks, Captain Jack will be on hand to help ‘the fam’ as they discover a disturbing plan forming involving one of the Doctor’s most feared and dangerous enemies, the Daleks. With the Thirteenth Doctor locked away in a space prison, will Captain Jack be able to help save planet Earth?

On returning for the Festive Special, John Barrowman MBE revealed:

“Putting on Jack’s coat and setting foot back on the set of Doctor Who was just like going back home. It’s always thrilling to play Captain Jack. He’s a character very close to my heart who changed my life, and to know the fans love him as much as I do makes his return even sweeter. I hope everyone enjoys Jack’s Heroic adventure with Thirteen.”

Chris Chibnall, Executive Producer, said:

“A Doctor Who Festive Special means treats galore, and there’s no bigger treat than the return of John Barrowman to Doctor Who, for an epic and emotional feature-length episode. If anyone can blast away the sheer rubbishness of 2020, it’s Captain Jack. Daleks beware!”

Matt Strevens, Executive Producer BBC Studios, added:

“After a tantalisingly brief appearance in Fugitive of the Judoon it’s a total joy and thrill to welcome back John as Captain Jack. One of the most iconic characters in Doctor Who lore, his presence ignites this Festive Special from the start.”

• DYLAN JACKSON

December 10th, 2020 - 12:29pm

I HOPE THAT THE NEW SERIES OF DOCTOR WHO IS GOING TO BE ACTION PACKED AND FULL OF LOTS OF SURPRISES ALONG THE WAY.

November 30th, 2020 - 12:09am

Watching the new trailer gives me hope that we are not about to see the end of the classic Dalek design after all. That these “Daleks” come from Earth.

• CJ

November 29th, 2020 - 10:05am

Just can’t wait for this episode. Hope it’s on Christmas Day and not New Year’s Day

November 27th, 2020 - 4:35pm

Whatever happened to “If it isn’t broke don’t fix it”. Come back the “New Paradigm”,all is forgiven. Argh!

November 27th, 2020 - 10:18am

And speaking of Daleks hasn’t anyone as part of the Time Lord Victorious Multi-Platform Stories been watching Skaro’s finest in action in their weekly instalment in a CGI story on the “official” Doctor Who YouTube channel?

It’s certainly had my interest.

November 26th, 2020 - 7:50pm

“A trailer or teaser used to get floods and floods of comments of people excited, praising, speculating etc. but now there’s hardly any body who’s posted.”

An reflection of the malaise much of popular culture outside of just this franchise now exhibits perhaps ?

• DOCTOR HOO

November 26th, 2020 - 5:02pm

Maybe the recon was OK as a one of but I dont think it will be good in this episode

• The Temporal Jelly Baby

November 26th, 2020 - 2:50pm

The new RadioTimes has the new Dalek design on the cover. I take back the doubts I previously expressed in here. I genuinely really like it! I look forward to seeing them in action, which will of course form my final verdict.

• whovian

November 25th, 2020 - 11:56pm

My wishlist for Revolution of the Daleks

To find out how long the Doctor has been in Space Prison for and for Space Prison to actually be that place other people have mentioned

For Jack and the Doctor to meet early on

To see Ryan exterminated (Although he’ll probably still have the same wooden acting for his death scene)

For the Master to make an unexpected appearance and tell the Doctor that he was just lying to wind her up and that Ruth (Jo Martin) was an ex companion of his and that he’s been messing around with the Doctor’s memories somehow (Jo Martin can stay in Holby City)

That the Daleks come up against a rival set of Daleks and have a fight

That the episode airs on Christmas Day, (Although I won’t be too annoyed if it’s a New Year’s Day special again)

Oh and I know it’s mentioned above, but for the past 57 years of the show to be returned to be correct and not the silly “fever dream” scenario that Chris Chibnall had and wrote down into a silly storyline

Just to point out a tiny little plothole, way back in 2013, Clara Oswald went into the 11th Doctor’s timestream and saw ALL of the Doctors, 1 through 10 and the War Doctor…. No “Ruth”, none of that “Brendan”. So hopefully Revolution of the Daleks will clear all this mess up

And hopefully these new Daleks will be far more deadlier than standard ones (If that is at all, even possible”

November 25th, 2020 - 10:06pm

‘The awful captain jack’ never has a statement been so untrue XD

November 25th, 2020 - 8:18pm

Not keen on the Daleks new design, definitely not keen on the awful Captain Jack returning but I really hope we get more answers/teasers about the Doctor’s past and definitely want to see Jo Martin’s Doctor again.
    She was the best thing about last season.

• The Temporal Jelly Baby

November 25th, 2020 - 4:18pm

You may have a point, Doctor Stu, but let’s see what happens when the actual trailer comes out. I think a majority of people who’d ever post in here were already around 90% sure that Jack is returning, which may be a factor here.

November 25th, 2020 - 1:32pm

A trailer or teaser used to get floods and floods of comments of people excited, praising, speculating etc. but now there’s hardly any body who’s posted. Seems like people don’t care anymore

November 24th, 2020 - 8:28pm

Oh God! Please,please don’t let this be the new standard dalek design from now on!

• Dalek Supreme with Extra Cheese

November 24th, 2020 - 12:26pm

As much as I love the Bronze Daleks, I’m always down for a different design to take the spotlight. As time has gone in, I think I’ve really come round on the New Dalek Paradigm, save for the bright colours. I think they have problems, but they have a real power and presence.

Honestly, these Daleks look out of proportion. It’s like they heard all the comments calling the New Dalek Paradigm fat and hunched over, and decided to take that to heart. The ‘Shoulder’ section and up looks too small for the wide base section. I liked how the Recon Scout was a very different look, but to make that design your new Flagship seems a bit optimistic. Personally, I’m really not a big fan, but I do respect trying to make a New Dalek design.

I like this new design as a supplemental one, I think they look a bit too strange compared to Daleks of the past. If they’re some kind of General or Commander class, or even Special Ops Daleks, I think they could supplement a wider Dalek army quite well.

• whovian

November 24th, 2020 - 10:21am

Not sure about this new design of the Daleks, but maybe that’s because I’m so used to seeing the bronze version of them, however, these new casings look more ‘alien’ than normal.

Also with Jack being back, he could well meet 13, but who’s to say that Chibnall isn’t going to throw a curveball at us and it’s not her TARDIS that he can hear, but another of her past selves (Just to point out that I do actually want him to meet the 13th Doctor, I’m just saying that it would not be the first time that Chibnall has kept a huge secret from being unspoilt)

November 24th, 2020 - 10:19am

If the Dalek design seen in “Resolution” wasn’t just makeshift from putting the casing back together it ISNT a whole new design. These scout Daleks are a sort of special forces Dalek separate from the main Dalek force.

• Haza14

November 24th, 2020 - 1:30am

Yay for Captain Jack! Also love this image!

The recon Dalek was great as a one off but not sure on this new design but will reserve judgement.

Just really hope it’s good, and everything is given enough time to breath as there seems to be a lot in this one! In Chris Chibnall’s quote he says “feature-length”. Could that mean this one is longer than 60 mins?

• The Temporal Jelly Baby

November 23rd, 2020 - 9:45pm

I know the Doctor Who fandom is often a bit resistant to change, but I would encourage Whovians to give the new Dalek design a chance. We all pooped on the Paradigm Daleks back in 2010, and I honestly think they should’ve kept them going. Yes, I know that’s an unpopular opinion.

Don’t get me wrong, I love the bronze Daleks. I just think they’re well overdue for a change. We can’t see the new Dalek design very clearly in the poster, so I reserve judgement until I watch the episode, but let’s hope it’ll be a good change. I’m cautiously optimistic.

Also, big yay for Captain Jack being back! 😀

The episode sounds awesome. My only concern is that there will be too much content for just 1 episode. I hope I’m wrong!

Fantastic poster by the way. Reminds me of when they created posters for each episode in series 7.

November 23rd, 2020 - 9:13pm

Those Daleks, just…no please no. Please be a one off. The bronze time war Daleks are perfect why mess with them

November 23rd, 2020 - 8:51pm

Awesome

• GuyTheZygon

November 23rd, 2020 - 8:47pm

We wait all year and the Daleks look like ridiculous 60’s Cherilea toys… who cares about Captain Jack + the ‘Fam,’ – it’s they that matter – how COULD this deluded production team squander such an opportunity (I’ll just sit back and wait for the haters to respond!)