November 21st, 2021 17 comments

Doctor Who Flux: Chapter 4: Village of the Angels – Sunday 21th Nov 6.20PM

The Doctor arrives in a village in the 1960s that is supposedly cursed – and which is haunted by the Weeping Angels.

A child has gone missing and a professor is conducting experiments in psychic phenomena – while the presence of an extra headstone in the graveyard holds the key to a strange mystery.

• The paternoster gang

November 24th, 2021 - 1:32pm

I’m curious whether there was a plan originally to bring back Alec Palmer and Emma Grayling from Hide, as those two characters and even the house they were in had such a resemblance to this episode!

November 24th, 2021 - 1:22pm

They’re not really dropping that much as far as consolidated figures are concerned.

November 24th, 2021 - 6:43am

Shame the ratings are dropping, this season is a big improvement on the previous 3 or 4.
    I wasn’t impressed by episode on of Flux but it has really pushed on from there.
    More Jo Martin will improve it further.

• Coleman

November 23rd, 2021 - 1:45pm

Looking forward to Episode Six now to see if any of my theories are correct or indeed none of them are?
    Vinder and Bel, the Doctors parents
    Swarm and Azure-. The Master and the Ranni.

November 22nd, 2021 - 2:41pm

Storylines like this division thing are so strange, how in almost 60 odd years they’ve never been mentioned once, they’ve been such an untraceable secret, even from the Doctor herself. But now that the doctor has heard of them and we the audience are now aware, all of a sudden they’re everywhere and everyone under the suns working for them. You just start thinking, well where have they been all this time???

November 22nd, 2021 - 1:27pm

I must admit to being dubious about this season. But it’s got steadily better with each episode. Culminating in the excellent “Village of the Angels”.

• The Moffatt Paradox

November 22nd, 2021 - 12:15pm

Angels working for this Division and there are agents from all races.
    Does that mean as with the Angels even Daleks/Cybermen could work for it with or without their leadership’s sanction if it is seen to serve their race’s interests ?

• Steve

November 22nd, 2021 - 10:43am

Thoroughly enjoyed this episode. I found it the best use of the Weeping Angels since ‘Blink’. New twists on the Angels (especially the Angel coming out of the drawing, and even when the drawing was ripped up it somehow reconfigured itself, and then the flaming Angel!).
    Scary episode. Looking forward to seeing if other people liked it as much as I did.
    And we finally get to see a Time Lord as a Weeping Angel, after the speculation as to whether the Angels are degradated Time Lords.

November 21st, 2021 - 10:35pm

I enjoyed 90% of this episode. Little niggles like multiple instances of people walking to the edge of the land and only realizing when they’re directly at the edge and staring out to space. Erm you should have seen that black sky approaching for miles. And the ending cliffhanger just made my eyes roll, it’s seguns music it irritates me. The big drums ‘BOOM, this is dramatic, be shocked, god we’re so clever, isn’t this exciting’ it feels too theatrical and over the top it really made me cringe so that ruined the cliff hanger for me.

But the fire angel I liked, everything else he did with the angels I liked, they were really good in this story. It was just the ending was a bit like chibnall and segun pulling the rug out from underneath me. But it turns out there’s a table and dinner service on top of the rug and cutlery is smashing to the ground whilst said rug is being pulled. Saw what they were trying to do, didn’t really hit the mark for me

November 21st, 2021 - 10:08pm

Pretty good stuff.

• Trenzalore

November 21st, 2021 - 9:15pm

I enjoyed tonight’s episode a lot actually, easily my favourite of all of 13s episodes, I’m assuming that’s the work of the co-writer. The only problem is Chibnall doesn’t know when to stop, and you can almost picture them in a story meeting throwing out ideas like what if we had a weeping angel on fire, what if we have the dr turn into a weeping angel. Then the episode was written and those ideas needed to be shoehorned in. The story was very scary however, the weeping angels always are, and the parts when the episode was just being straightforward are when it was most effective. The music was excellent too, did anyone else think the theme tune sounded a little different? I’m not a huge fan of the look of the weeping angels, I think a few of them are cgi not real models and that’s why, the low budget is becoming very visible this series, but it’s never stopped dw before.

• ColinB

November 21st, 2021 - 8:43pm

Its a trap!
    An interesting but convoluted story.
    Too much going on as you try to work out whats going on.
    Angels were interesting even as part of the division especially for the doctor.
    Top production values
    Good acting
    Hope we learn much more about the division instead of small snippets
    8/10

• Popplewick

November 21st, 2021 - 8:32pm

Curate’s egg of an episode. I was mainly shocked when I realised that was Kevin McNally – last time I saw him he was a lad in Colin ‘s first story ans I was a mere lad in my twenties myself. He was good in tonights.

• Coleman

November 21st, 2021 - 7:52pm

I’m not knocking the show, because I’m really enjoying it.
    But now the Doctors a weeping angel that belongs to the Division and apparently they want her back.
    This shows getting crazier by the minute?

• Bunter

November 21st, 2021 - 7:32pm

That was brilliant, loved it. Great performances, eerie atmosphere like something from the 4th Doctor’s era. Top notch.

• Pleasantly Surprised!

November 21st, 2021 - 7:30pm

Quite possibly the best episode of the Chibnall/Whitaker era. It’s taken this long to finally have an episode actually being and feeling like decent quality Doctor Who in this era. 9/10

• Whorules

November 21st, 2021 - 7:19pm

Wow. Great episode. And what a cliffhanger! Can it be next week now please? Brilliant.