October 31st, 2021 39 comments

Doctor Who Flux: Chapter 1: The Halloween Apocalypse – 31st Oct 6:25pm

On Halloween, all across the universe, terrifying forces are stirring. From the Arctic Circle to deep space, an ancient evil is breaking free. And in present-day Liverpool, the life of Dan Lewis is about to change forever. Why is the Doctor on the trail of the fearsome Karvanista? And what is the Flux?

The Series 13 Steelbook is now available to order exclusively from www.amazon.co.uk

• mark

November 1st, 2021 - 2:30pm

dreadful start , dog face looks and sounds like Hacker truly awful
    otherwise ok , usual over reliance on sonic screwdriver and run !
    experiment over , can’t wait for regeneration back to a male Doctor

• Coleman

November 1st, 2021 - 10:20am

Good point ergon, it’s all well and good protecting the Earth, but without our Moon and especially the Sun everyone will die anyway. I don’t know who’s protecting all the Sun’s in the many galaxies that nearby planets rely on?

November 1st, 2021 - 10:20am

Too early to judge whether Chibnall goes from a fail grade to at best a pass grade.At this point C- -.

• the ergon

November 1st, 2021 - 10:01am

Doctor stu wouldnt they also need to protect the moon and the sun as it affects the ebb and flow of earths tides.

• Coleman

November 1st, 2021 - 9:39am

I think the new Villains are the Master and the Rani, their I’ve said it.
    Would explain alot about the. Male Villian encountering the Doctor before during many battles.
    Likewise the Doctor not remembering him because he looks so different, like the Emaciated Master.

October 31st, 2021 - 11:50pm

Also, quick question SPOILER FOR THE EPISODE.

If those ships were able to shield the earth then what happened to the moon? Has that been wiped out?

October 31st, 2021 - 11:06pm

I’m usually the positive one but today it’s flipped. I just thought it was meh. Way too frenetic and all over the place although I can appreciate it’s all set up. I actually quite liked the dog and the reason for the kidnap. Vinder seems cool I already like him. And the weeping angel scene was creepy. Good to know we’re getting more timeless child arc, although I feel that may annoy some people. But I really like the design of the new big baddies, they’re quite unsettling. Although my predictions for who they actually are have me worried people are going to go mad again.

Dan is a little bit…..wooden. Not as bad as Ryan but he hasn’t really blown me away yet. The sontarans also cringed me out a bit. ‘Attaaaaaack’. That was supposed to be a dramatic moment but it had me cringing hard. Cliff hanger looking good but yeh…

Meh, some good, some bad, a bit of a mix. I probably wouldn’t watch it again if i didn’t need to. That’s not me hating on chibnall but there hasn’t really been an episode id deliberately repeat all the way through since the Doctor falls. So don’t really know my verdict, like I say I appreciate it’s only the first piece in a big jigsaw so maybe it’ll improve once the whole series is out

3/5 maybe for me.

• Tim Lord Victorious

October 31st, 2021 - 10:14pm

Wow Chibbers has actually written a corker!
    I am totally looking forward to the next episode and Dan Lewis is brilliant (Im not really a fan of John Bishop but he played it perfectly)
    No pressure Chibbers but you’ve raised your mostly mediocre bar now and need to keep up this high standard for at least the next five episodes you can do it. Lining up to be one of JWs best episodes.

• Haza14

October 31st, 2021 - 9:40pm

I really liked it! I’ve not been the biggest fan of this era despite giving it a good chance and really wanting it to succeed, but this was very promising! Suffered from the usual irritations of too much techno babble and the odd bit of cringy dialogue but overall it was excellent. I was on the edge of my seat. The Weeping Angel scene was fabulous and there was great moments dotted throughout. All the different plot threads are intriguing. It’s fair to say that there has never been a Doctor Who episode quite like that before! The set up is always easier than the conclusion, but I am genuinely excited to see what happens next!

• Cat Ate My Neck

October 31st, 2021 - 9:29pm

Loved the updated Sontarans: much more in the tradition of the Classic series Sontarans.

Everything was very good looking except DogFace’s dumb mask.

Loved Jodie, and loved the Liverpool setting.

We’ll have to wait and see about the story. It felt like a lot of Episode Ones mashed together.

• The ergon

October 31st, 2021 - 9:27pm

Seeing annabel scholey from the split who plays claire has got me speculating she might be some future companion and nicola walker who was her co star could be the doctor.

• Josh

October 31st, 2021 - 9:10pm

The best Jodie has been written.

Her and Yaz worked so well here as its being written like 7 and Ace, the Doctor being manipulative and deceitful and Yaz getting frustrated by this lack of communication is the best we’ve had in this chibnall era.

• TimelordTim

October 31st, 2021 - 9:05pm

Lots of story elements kicked off with lots of intrigue. An excellent start and looking forward to how it all gradually comes together over the next 5 weeks.

Definitely a series that will need to be binge watched to fully appreciate by the end.

• Popplewick

October 31st, 2021 - 8:29pm

Hope the Rutans make a come back in next week’s – actual conflict between the Sontarans and their blobby opponents is something I’ve been waiting for since ‘The Invasion of Time was aired.

• Judooning

October 31st, 2021 - 7:52pm

Whovian, Thankyou! I really like their new design and how they sound. Looking forward to next week’s battle with them.

• Popplewick

October 31st, 2021 - 7:49pm

Suprisingly good – dog alien looks stupid sounds stupid otheriwse better than expected sontarans looked good.

• Whovian

October 31st, 2021 - 7:47pm

Judooning, the Sontaran is played by the same actor as Straxx (Dan Starkey), but this Sontaran is called Kragar

October 31st, 2021 - 7:47pm

Chibnall doing the Dr Who equivalent of Avengers: Infinity War/Endgame. Nuff said.

• The ergon

October 31st, 2021 - 7:44pm

Where has claire been sent in time by the weeping angel to have met the doctor and yas in the past? Mm lots of questions to ponder on..

• ColinB

October 31st, 2021 - 7:40pm

Sfx- superb
    Music – very good
    Sontarans – excellent
    Yaz and dan – very good together
    Story – confusing and a bit slow
    Doctor is annoying and needs to regenerate

• Ron

October 31st, 2021 - 7:36pm

Most entertaining! Lot’s of mystery going on with a large selection of threads leading to a cliffhanger – Bodes well for future episodes!

• Mark Belsom

October 31st, 2021 - 7:35pm

Enjoyed the first episode, quite a lot going on, I’ve a feeling there’s more going on with the weeping Angel than we think. And who is the woman that knows the doctor? As ever more questions than answers.

• Flux

October 31st, 2021 - 7:29pm

More a string of set pieces than a fully consistent story. Sure, this is one long overarching series, where all these set pieces will hopefully complete a comprehensible jigsaw puzzle. But, the opening episode all looked great, and it certainly kept me glued to the T.V. Which is unusual for a Chibnall script!

• Judooning

October 31st, 2021 - 7:26pm

That was something else! I was hooked all the way through that.
    The last time a monster properly creeped me out was the Scarecrows in Human Blood/Human Nature. Well tonight it finally happened again! The first form of the Flux at the start of the episode where it started transforming was horrible!
    And Dan is like a male version of Donna for me. Which is a big plus.
    Looks like the rumours of the TARDIS dying are true.
    I’m so so excited for the next episode and beyond.
    Also, was the older Sontaran on the screen played by Dan Starky who played Strax? Sounded a lot like him

• Whovian

October 31st, 2021 - 7:22pm

Wow! Finally a good episode by Chibnall, just as he bows out.

Was on the edge of my seat. The visuals were really good and I’ve got a couple of theories about Dan.

A proper threat to everything and the TARDIS malfunctioning are a good plot to start off with.

The Weeping Angel genuinely made me jump, which makes me believe that they are going to make them a full threat too, unlike the cringy movement from “The Time of Angels/Flesh and Stone”.

• Whorules

October 31st, 2021 - 7:20pm

Very enjoyable. Intriguing story, especially with the division links and I wasn’t expecting weeping Angel’s and sontarans to turn up! Brilliant episode and I can’t wait for the rest of flux

• 1

October 31st, 2021 - 7:20pm

Oh & reckon Dan knows the Master

• 1

October 31st, 2021 - 7:19pm

This series is going to be hard to rate until the parts have been shown but, that was quite good but, it’s always going to be an episode we’re all the component bits we’re going to introduced.

• David Havers

October 31st, 2021 - 7:19pm

Fantastic start. The next few weeks are going to be a hell of a ride.

• Rikki Krystal