January 1st, 2021 21 comments

What Did You Think of Revolution of the Daleks?

Now that the long awaited episode “Revolution of the Daleks” has aired what did you think? Was it everything you had hoped for or not what you expected.

The Doctor is locked away in a high-security alien prison. Isolated, alone, with no hope of escape. Far away, on Earth, her best friends, Yaz, Ryan and Graham are far away on Earth and having to carry on with their lives without her…

Revolution of the Daleks is available to order on DVD and Blu-ray from www.amazon.co.uk and www.zoom.co.uk

A thrilling and emotional festive special featuring major guest stars, and the Doctor’s most iconic and deadly adversaries.

Starring: Jodie Whittaker, Bradley Walsh, Tosin Cole, Mandip Gill, John Barrowman, Chris Noth, Harriet Walter & Nathan Stewart-Jarrett.

Hero Collector 7 Pin Badge Set Revolution of the Daleks

Available to order in the UK from www.shop.eaglemoss.com

Hero Collector Eaglemoss will be launching a tie-in to the Doctor Who Festive Special, Revolution of the Daleks, with a brand new Chibi Pin Badge Box Set, available to pre-order now.

January 3rd, 2021 - 7:43pm

As a Dalek story ,as with Resolution, seem to like it better despite any faults than you Pats 86 but a bit surprised you rate Star Trek Discovery as it can be argued that it, Picard as well, suffers from similar failings to that generally of the Who Chibnall /Whittaker era.

January 3rd, 2021 - 3:37pm

Poor as expected which is sad because I desperately want to see this once great British institution do well again.

No point stating the obvious flaws in this episode, way to many.

Jo Martin’s Doctor failed to show up which I really wanted to see.
    Sad to see Bradley Walsh leave but John Bishop boarding the TARDIS may be good, did see him in something a number of years ago and he can act that’s for sure. He will be a good asset until Jodie goes (ASAP hopefully)

At least we can still watch some great sc-ifi with The Mandalorian, The Expanse, Star Trek Discovery and Stranger Things along with others.

January 2nd, 2021 - 6:19pm

Revolution of the Daleks? What revolution? It was put down by the death squad Daleks before it could even really begin,

“EXTERNINATE THE IMPURITIES !!!”,

January 2nd, 2021 - 4:00pm

I enjoyed this episode very much. I felt sorry for the Doctor, it was heartbreaking to see her broken. Jodie Whittaker is my new favourite doctor, she is a very talented actress. It was great to see Jack back, it was nice that the writers stuck the Rose reference in for fans. It was nice to see Jack remember Rose, I had the chance to meet Billie Piper in 2006 at a book signing. The departure of Ryan and Graham was a nice farewell, I really like Ryan because I can relate to him. I suffer with disabilities too, it is nice to see people like me represented in drama. Can’t wait till the next series. Keep up the good work Doctor Who team. Happy 2021 to you all

January 2nd, 2021 - 12:23pm

Haza, the Rose reference was definitely not unnecessary as he was explaining to Ryan, Yaz and Brad about how he was made immortal. And she’s the reason for it. One of the complaints people made about Jacks return last series was that he didn’t explain who he was to new audiences (which he didn’t really need to do at all as the fans already know who he is) so now at least he’s done that, in a way that made sense plot wise as he was telling the companions about himself

January 2nd, 2021 - 10:48am

One thing about the Daleks mass bred on Earth not being considered “pure” because of using human nutrients.

In “Revaluation Of The Daleks” the Daleks created by Davros on the planet Necros are genetically engineered from non Kaled humanoid remains and when the disgruntled underlings working at the Tranquil Repose call in the Skaro Daleks to get rid of him and them the leader of the Skaro Dalek force says of the Necros Daleks: “They will not be destroyed.They will be reconditioned to obey the will of the Supreme Dalek”.

Yet there’s not even an issue of the Earth bred Daleks accepting Skaro Dalek leadership as their DNA is Kaled to begin with On this logic the Necros Daleks should have been considered far more of an abomination or fit only for extermination.

• TimelordTim

January 2nd, 2021 - 10:00am

I certainly enjoyed the episode. Menacing Daleks actually exterminating relentlessly is great to see and a Dalek Civil War is always interesting – just s shame that part lasted barely a couple of minutes and mostly happened off-screen.

Well presented character moments and, the Grace image aside (unnecessary), a fitting end for Graham and Ryan. So glad some companions have had a normal send off for the first time in Nu-Who. I can only think of Martha who wasn’t, parallel universe, memory-wipe, trapped in time, essence floating through the stars, dead but avoiding it etc. etc. and even Martha left because her family were massively traumatized. Not every companion leaving has to up the drama-stakes and so this felt right – and very much needed.

Always great to have Jack back! Some great moments for him too.

I’ve given up on whether people on Earth know the Daleks or not. Too many inconsistencies so I just decided it best to enjoy Earth based alien episodes for what they are at the time and when they do link back all the better.

Loved the little nods to the past, Jodie’s era lacked recognisable moments in the first series, but since Revolution this has been improved massively.

Overall a good episode with genuinely dangerous Daleks and good character moments. But I still feel like it missed out on something, hard to say what, but it did feel like it was just putting all the pieces in place for next series after scattering them at the end of last series. That’s fine, but maybe slowed the story and impacted screen time for other things a bit too much.

7/10

• Dalek Supreme with Extra Cheese

January 2nd, 2021 - 1:45am

Man, really complicated feelings about this one. I’m not sure if it was good, but I definitely enjoyed it.

The overall story with Robertson and the Daleks was pretty interesting, kind of disappointing when we had to cut back to the fam or the Doctor. Once most of the Chibnall’s signature exposition dump was out of the way and the episode finally got going, it was probably the best Doctor Who we’ve had since Capaldi’s seasons.

There’s a lot of emotions and feelings in this episode, but it all feels a bit undeserved, given how little the companions relationships have been established. However, Ryan’s chat with the Doctor was quite good, and I feel like it overall handled the themes of travelling with the Doctor quite well.

To their credit, the Security Drones do look a lot better in movement than in stills, especially in those red lights! And they Exterminated the most people since Tennant left the show a decade ago! Honestly, just having some good Dalek screentime is enough for me.

The first half was a bit of a chore to get through, but once the campy action began, it really felt like Doctor Who. Which is something Chibnall’s era has consistently missed the mark on, but I’m glad they finally figured it out.

January 2nd, 2021 - 1:10am

Still processing what I might say about the episode itself but with regard to Doctor Stu’s point about the voice box/weapons we might imagine a audio speaker was put in the “Drones” as part of riot control to give commands /warnings but in any event I don’t think it’s too much of a leap of imagination that once the first cloned Dalek took control of Leo Rugazzi it used the Robertson empire to install upgrades like real energy weapons to create proper Dalek casings.

Thinking maybe I should now call myself the Chibnall Paradox as while I have had my doubts about him, as with the odd inspired ideas of Steven Moffat who I also had doubts about, he at least may have reinvigorated the Daleks as a proper threat again.

• Haza14

January 2nd, 2021 - 12:46am

Pros:
    – Chris Chibnall writes the Dalek’s well, they feel menacing and have genuine threat.
    – Always love to see Jack back and he had some good moments! John Barrowman brought such amazing energy to it as always!
    – Oddly the character moments were this episode’s strong point (a first for the Chibnall era)! Jack and Yaz’s scene was the best scene in the whole thing. Ryan and the Doctor’s scene was great too. Some lovely character stuff.
    – Ryan and Graham’s exit was nicely done. You believed their reasons for leaving and it was nicely played by all. You also believed Yaz’s reasons for staying and I feel like she is developing as a character! Something I hope to see more of! You saw the impact of it on the Doctor more than usual to, which I liked.

Cons:
    – The plot was very thin. The Bronze Dalek’s didn’t really do an awful lot once they’d arrived. The build up was good though.
    – Although I always love seeing Captain Jack, there was no good story to tell with Jack as a reason to bring him back. It seemed like fan service to me.
    – Excessive and unnecessary back references. A couple worked well, but most were jarring. Especially the Gwen and Rose references. No real need for them.
    – Jack disappeared quick!
    – Although I hate to say it, Jodie’s Doctor does feel cringe at times. While I ignored it at the beginning as I’ve felt a bit like that with all the Doctors when I’m getting used to them, with Jodie it’s sadly persisting! I love Jodie and think she’s a fab ambassador for show, just maybe not my favourite Doctor.

John Bishop’s casting feels a bit like the stunt casting that was done in the 80’s!! However people said the same about Catherine Tate and Matt Lucas and they turned out fantastically, so we’ll see. John has a lot less acting experience than those two though!

Overall another episode of Chibnall Doctor Who, although one of the better ones. Fast paced, fairly thin plot, looks great, lacks original ideas, had plenty of good moments but also some cringe ones, good overall but nothing to write home about.

January 2nd, 2021 - 12:41am

Never agreed with Doctor Stu more than with the second comment, I think she, has made here.

• Dr Phil

January 1st, 2021 - 11:24pm

Sorry this was rubbish. How can no one remember the various events involving Daleks? Still can’t get my head around Gallifrey gone again, and also the reboot to the doctor’s history just debases the history. Why were the unknown doctors not in the doctor’s subconscious like the war doctor was? Was surprised that a tardis was sacrificed seeing as the others are gone with gallifrey.

I’m interested how these things will be reconciled in the future, but this just looks like a reboot doctor who by people trying to stamp their own mark on the franchise, but burning the bridges of history behind them.

January 1st, 2021 - 11:04pm

All of the events that were erased came back when the universe got rebooted. That’s why Rory is able to be walking around fine despite him being erased from time completely. And why Torchwood and Sarah Jane all carried on as normal with neither their main characters or the public in their respective shows suffering any memory loss. Even one of the episodes of the SJA relied heavily on the memories of the companions. The alternative is Sarah Jane and the gang, Jack and Gwen and Martha and Mickey etc are all walking around with no memory of events they were part of. Which is so disrespect to RTD’s era.

Moffatt just explained it away with a tongue in cheek remark something like ‘everything was rebooted unless I made any plot holes in which case they all stayed erased’ but this…..typifies his attitude, it doesn’t explain anything properly, that’s why no writers even in his era and now in this era seem to know whether anything was or wasn’t rebooted. So sometimes you’ll get a writer who writes like everything was reset, and then you’ll get one who writes like it wasn’t and it just makes for a bunch of inconsistencies. So in moffats era UNIT do remember, news readers remember sometimes and then sometimes they don’t, the public doesn’t remember, the Daleks remember in into the Dalek, the PrimeMinister now in this era doesn’t remember and neither does the public. It gets annoying.

• whovian

January 1st, 2021 - 10:31pm

Whilst trying very hard to avoid mentioning any possible spoilers, does anyone have an idea of what action figure could be used as a substitute for that person at the end?

January 1st, 2021 - 10:03pm

Am I the only wondering how no one, outside of the fam, knew about the Daleks. Now before you talk about how the crack rebooted the universe, in the episode Jack mentioned rose and how she was in a different universe, which means that the events of doomsday still happened, we’re millions of the Daleks attacked London and had a battle with the cybermen.

• Judooning

January 1st, 2021 - 9:38pm

I thought it was excellent. Great to see a multitude of Daleks being menacing and not scared to kill! Seeing innocent members of the public being exterminated like that sent chills down me.
    Interesting that the Doctor chose to send them into the void…so soon after a mention of Rose in the parallel universe from Jack…maybe im being too hopeful for a future return there tho 😉
    And a mention of Gwen too!

• The Living Shadow

January 1st, 2021 - 9:07pm

I’m reluctant to look at all the forums, but I can say that I personally really enjoyed this!

The implementations of old elements (& fan service), was fun and fitting, and did not detract from the identity of the current era, like the moment between Ryan and the Doctor, or the stuff with Robertson and following up both Resolution and The Timeless Children!

I feel like we were left at a weird point after the end of Series 12, but Resolution of the Daleks managed to pick up the pieces and ideas, and run with them, without feeling weighed down.

January 1st, 2021 - 8:53pm

Very good episode, Ryan’s chat with the Doctor was lovely and surprisingly well acted considering he’s usually completely wooden, brad made me choke up a bit near the end, the Bronze Daleks were brilliant to see and actually a threat, Jack was great, some cool little cameos, Ood, Silence, Sycorax, Angels etc.

The only sore points were as usual some of the scenes are ruined because of Ryan’s acting although he was probably the best he’s been in a good while, there was scenes that could have been condensed, sometimes it dragged and the 1 hour 15 minute run time wasn’t used to full effect. And I know it was supposed to be emotional but I found the Grace moment just really cringey and unnecessary.

And final thing, I don’t understand how the empty Drone shells can end up sounding like Daleks when surely a voice box would have to be fitted in the machine and set to the same voice as Daleks seeing as the mutant can’t actually speak, and why would they fit that voice box if it’s supposed to be empty? I also don’t understand how the Drones managed to turn their little water sticks into their death rays either.

But apart from that I had a big smile on my face and I’d watch good portions of that again

8/10 maybe?

• Whorules

January 1st, 2021 - 8:13pm

Great stuff. Chibnall nails the daleks again. And what a body count! Can’t wait for the new series.

January 1st, 2021 - 8:09pm

Sorry so wanted to enjoy this but it was awfull

January 1st, 2021 - 8:00pm

Well that was brilliant! And John bishop as what? New companion? New master?