July 19th, 2018 70 comments

Brand New Doctor Who Series 11 Trailer

• Phillip

July 20th, 2018 - 7:25pm

Haha, thanks Tyler:)

July 20th, 2018 - 6:36pm

Standard Dalek operating procedure prior to invading a worlds established in classic series..

Use bacteriological warfare against particularly less advanced worlds to wipe out large amounts of population and then use the survivors as slave labour until expendable.

July 20th, 2018 - 6:31pm

That’s what should have happened in the 50th anniversary of Doctor who, those timelords at the start should all have been exterminated off screen with sound effects but no visual. Would have made the Daleks a threat in that episode when in reality we saw them do absolutely nothing. It sounds bleak but the only way to make them a threat again is to show them exterminating people. The last time the Daleks were a threat for me personally were series 8 when we saw them killing soldiers. In Time of the Doctor and series 9, 10 and 7 they weren’t a threat at all. Especially when one remarked they had to reanimate the cadavour of Tasha Lem several times to get information out of her. I mean does Death now mean absolutely nothing from Daleks as well????

July 20th, 2018 - 5:51pm

They should do an episode in the dalek concentration camps

July 20th, 2018 - 4:54pm

Someone on YouTube made an interesting illustration of how to put the sense of fear and evil back into them when they are essentially supposed to be Nazis in tanks. They suggested a scene perhaps at the start of a Dalek story in which their exterminating all in sight somewhere and a fearful child is confronted by one and then we don’t see anything but hear the sound of the Dalek’s gun being fired.Cue start of the opening credits.

July 20th, 2018 - 3:11pm

That’s why I sort of liked the end of series dalek stories because they’d all appeared for a reason, using the game station to harvest humans and tying into the whole bad wolf arc, then the Genesis ark and the void ship to tie in with roses departure. Even in Series 3 they were threatening because people died and of course series 4 was there best story because like you say they were a real threat to earth. Moffat just used Daleks for the sake of having them. He used scale to show threat by having millions of them yet he had them sitting around doing nothing which ironically made them less of a threat ever since

• Dalek Bumps

July 20th, 2018 - 2:46pm

Jodie Whitaker is a fine actress. But I don’t really see her as ‘The Doctor’. She seems far too human, and lacks that oddball alien quality. Phobe Waller-Bridge would have been perfect. Another fine actress for sure, but she would have been perfect in look and performance.

• T.A

July 20th, 2018 - 2:04pm

For me, in the RTD era that daleks were really threatening, especially in the stolen earth and journeys end. But the first time they were in the Moffat era, they were getting scared of a jammie dodger. I think if we have too much of the daleks you start to get sick of it, especially if it is not done right or there always in the background. Hopefully, chibnall can do good with them, but time will tell.

• R1ch1e

July 20th, 2018 - 1:55pm

I always felt that the Daleks are most threatening when they pose a threat to Earth. That’s where all the best stories have been for me, apart from Genesis of course!
    I have seen in Twitter that they may be a part of the Christmas special.

July 20th, 2018 - 12:27pm

I think you got the terms mixed up

July 20th, 2018 - 12:23pm

There’s definitely going to be Daleks this year in some shape or form. I don’t see why they can’t be scary again if you’ve got a good script. People moaned about RTD always using the Daleks for a series final but it’s this that kept their fear factor as the stakes were always high and they were threatening. Moffat ruined them by turning them into a monster of the week villain that could be defeated in the space of one episode essentially, hopefully Chibnall improves them

July 20th, 2018 - 10:52am

Yeh but the kind of audience today will cry and insist her ‘I am the Doctor’ moment is her man hating or SJW’ing or whatever these stupid people say

July 20th, 2018 - 10:49am

New Who is like Star Wars in that it’s made for everyone. At least that’s what RTD managed to get right

• Tyler Prescott

July 20th, 2018 - 9:25am

I think it’s more Chris Chibnall than the BBC, to be honest. Their cards couldn’t have been further away from their chest during Moffat’s tenure.

• Tyler Prescott

July 20th, 2018 - 9:23am

*A historical.

• Blungering Hinklesburn

July 20th, 2018 - 7:43am

I don’t personally see giving the Daleks a break as being a remotely good idea personally.

What fans tend to forget, I think, is that the show isn’t made for us. It’s made for kids. And kids bloody love the Daleks! What would be remotely good, therefore, about removing them for any long period of time?

Plus, it does make sense that they’d show up as much as they do – they’re incredibly powerful and they hate the lead character. It figures that they’d cross paths a lot. They don’t HAVE to be defeated every time. Sometimes perhaps, the best the Doctor could do is get away.

Plus, it’s been four years since the Daleks have been the main villains of a story. 2015’s opener was really about Davros, and series 10 saw nothing but cameo’s. That’s enough of a break.

• Mick C

July 20th, 2018 - 2:10am

Right, this is going to be fun.

July 20th, 2018 - 12:52am

She’s ,if were indulging this,supposed to be a 2000+ year old Galifreyan so there needs at some point to be an autorotative “I AM THE DOCTOR”!! moment which like the male incarnations evokes a sense that she’s not taking you know what from anybody or anything that makes other characters and the audience think “where did THAT come from”?

• the ergon

July 20th, 2018 - 12:39am

I don,t know of issues with the Terry Nation Estate but i know those4- 5 year hiatus’ of old did them a world of good and were more welcome back. Not that i,m suggesting they leave it that long of course. Just give them a new angle.

• the ergon

July 20th, 2018 - 12:29am

If thats the case pats 86 and you obviously seem conflicted just roll with it. Nobody knows how its really going to pan out yet. Opinions are always going to be divided and its all new territory but only you,ll know if you think its worth 10 weeks of your time . Me personally I,m just going to sit back and enjoy the ride.

• Phillip

July 20th, 2018 - 12:15am

Oh, look! You’ve regenerated….I don’t like what you’ve done with the place, nope:)

• Phillip

July 20th, 2018 - 12:12am

Why does evvvvvvery episode have to be plagued by aliens, can’t we have an historical?

July 19th, 2018 - 11:51pm

I’ve also seen her back catalogue and she is a brilliant actress. Her performances in venus and adult life skills are stunning

• ADAM

July 19th, 2018 - 11:23pm

I guess at the end of the day it will the viewers who will decide if this is a success or not…but this feels nothing like Dr who.

No..it’s looking more like the Ghostbusters remake…

• ADAM

July 19th, 2018 - 10:56pm

Just like the last teaser….bland and uninspiring…

July 19th, 2018 - 10:03pm

I’ve seen her back catalogue, that’s the worrying thing. I’m not saying she will be poor but it doesn’t feel right.

July 19th, 2018 - 10:00pm

But if I don’t bother and all the others that feel the same as me also don’t bother it could get cancelled!
    I don’t want that to happen unless it is absolutely dreadful.

• R1ch1e

July 19th, 2018 - 9:58pm

I LOVE the Daleks but there hasn’t been a really good Dalek story since The Stolen Earth imo so I do think they need a rest.

However, am I right in thinking that that they need them every year to satisfy the Terry Nation estate?

July 19th, 2018 - 9:57pm

From other sources I’ve seen like Doctor Freedom it’s rumored they will be in series 11 and there’s the issue if whether or not the Terry Nation estate requires in licensing to the BBC that at least one makes a cameo every series.

Personally nothing against using Skaro’s finest if it helps establish credibility of the Whittaker Doctor whatever I think of the casting if their used more intelligently. Their doing a lot of actual exterminating would help like in “Into The Dalek”

• Gordon

July 19th, 2018 - 9:52pm

Chris Chibnall said no Daleks in season 11 in the panel. Daleks need a good 2-3 years of no appearances cameo or otherwise in my opinion. There are other old baddies that have yet to be touched that could be used. Sea devils Mara axons sil to name a couple