October 28th, 2018 98 comments

Poll – What Did You Think of Arachnids in the UK?

Now that the fourth episode of series 11 has aired what did you think? Was it everything you had hoped for or not what you expected.

“Something’s happening with the spiders in this city.”

The Doctor, Yaz, Graham and Ryan find their way back to Yorkshire – and Yaz’s family – only to find something is stirring amidst the eight-legged arachnid population of Sheffield.

• Danny

October 29th, 2018 - 2:06pm

I’ve been watching Dr who since the very first episode with William Hartnell but it seems the BBC have turned the show into a vaguely vailed left wing liberal propaganda programme shame on you BBC

• lorraine

October 29th, 2018 - 1:31pm

Yes Pats86 I know. I gave it 5 but I think that was due to desperation and the spiders did look good. Bradley would have made a truely wonderful doctor. Jodie is quite simply not a show runner which is exactly what I feared from the “big announcement”. It was for me the best of the 4 so far but that says more about the other 3. Oh God this is all so depressing. The writers haven’t a clue how to “make” Doctor Who. The BBC have killed it. They should only have writers who care/love the programme and the person playing the doctor should at least be a fan if only when growing up which Jodie says she was not. This is not a regular acting job, it is an iconic role, or at least it is supposed to be. I will plod on but it is like a penance at the moment. My husband says Jodie is just awful and he sad 1/10 for yesterday. Skimped on the TARDIS set as well. Calling Russell T…can you hear me!

October 29th, 2018 - 1:00pm

“We need to build a wall in space to protect us from illegal extraterrestrials and we need to do it quickly”!

MAKE EARTH SAFE AGAIN

• GreenCrossCode

October 29th, 2018 - 12:26pm

To be honest, its surprising how many seemingly coincidental things happen in real life. Bring Bessie back and go back to the good old days of Delta and the Bannermen!

• BlueCrossSale

October 29th, 2018 - 12:24pm

Or maybe the Doctor can just jump back in time and stop all of this from happening. Plus use more money on costumes like big dresses, green ones.

• BlueCrossSale

October 29th, 2018 - 12:21pm

They should bring Bessie back and have spend lots on costumes maybe putting the hotel owner in a big gown or something.

• BlueCrossSale

October 29th, 2018 - 12:18pm

Yes, its a total disgrace. Looking at the ratings it may be getting popular again. Total outrage.

• Puddle

October 29th, 2018 - 12:08pm

Totally agree

• kone112

October 29th, 2018 - 12:03pm

They Need some of the old monsters back in it to make it Dr Who.

• kone112

October 29th, 2018 - 12:02pm

I Agree.

• The Master

October 29th, 2018 - 11:53am

Another enjoyable episode slower paced than the last 3 it was quite an interesting story and the huge spiders were quite scary !

October 29th, 2018 - 11:37am

They do react to vibrations but it was a bit cringeworthy.

October 29th, 2018 - 11:32am

Wow whovian, this is a step forward with you and spiders I think, next step is get a tarantula as a pet?

October 29th, 2018 - 11:29am

5/10 Lorraine? I wish I had your ability to see some good in the episode! I found it dreadful and it is upsetting to see this great show going downhill further than it already has.

October 29th, 2018 - 11:24am

My word that was awful, worst episode in years. I would go as far as to say it belongs down there with The Twin Dilemma!

I will give it 2/10 simply because the spiders looked good and Bradley Walsh is in it.

Poor acting, poor writing, Jodie is as lightweight as ever she is not the Doctor for me. I hope she improves but I am now doubting it! Bradley Walsh is the best thing in this series and I believe he could have made a fine Doctor himself.

I will continue until the end of the season but I fully understand why some are now switching off and that is a sad reality of the PC, SJW agenda from the BBC.

I can not understand why anyone would think this is great? It is so poor that it would not go amiss on the sci fi Channel with the rest of the cheap and badly written movies/series on there.
    I expect better but it is not being delivered and it does not look good for the future, I hope I am wrong but I doubt it.

• prototype dalek

October 29th, 2018 - 11:14am

Strange how this is mostly peoples worst episode whilst this one was actual my favourite of the 4. Wasn’t amazing but it was better, 6.5/10.

• obsie

October 29th, 2018 - 10:12am

Four episodes and I’m still not feeling a “Doctor Who” vibe at all, moderate Sarah Jane Adventures maybe. Got the issues of the landfill site issue but had that with “The Green Death”, dodgy CSO, ropey fly effects aside it was a great story. This time around I was watching the clock wondering if I read wrong that the show was meant to be on for an hour or I imagined it. An extra 5 minutes added on that could easily been utilised elsewhere and I’m beginning to lose interest. The best thing about this was the TARDIS in the time vortex exiting showing various (presumably hundreds/thousands/millions of branches off it) and landing in this scenario, I reckon we got a bum deal off this one.

October 29th, 2018 - 10:11am

All fiction relies on too many coincidences

• Arthurian2

October 29th, 2018 - 9:25am

Week four and as an atheist, I’m seriously contemplating religion. I was beginning to wonder where the budget was being spent as up till now special effects, incidental music and purpose built sets have been noticeable by their absence. Nothing much here either for the set design dept. as it was mostly set in a hotel only requiring some spider webs and a cracked bath. Just to note that since the series was rebooted in 2005 the TARDIS interior has always felt like a complete space, cables, galleries, stairs and exits off, which suggested that the control room was just a part of a much larger ship. Now the set has seemed to have gone backwards, just the central console in a room, and very dark, probably to hide the fact that there’s very little set beyond it. Also the porch has acted as a means not to have to show the TARDIS interior from the outside, all we see now, as they enter, is one of the side sections of the interior of the Police Box prop cutting out any CGI. I digress, admittedly this has been the best story so far, but still Chibnail can’t resist his agendas, and this week it was the turn of the American President and their gun laws. It was as subtle as a house brick and why didn’t the make up dept. go the whole hog and give him an orange wig and have done with it. I know there have always been references to politics and social affairs in Dr Who but they’ve generally been used as parallels, The Green Death and The Happiness Patrol for example. Arachnids was a simple story of domestic spiders being exposed to mans waste and then adopting some worrying characteristics through no fault of their own. Still for me, I just don’t find any of the cast engaging, and it just feels like it’s being acted, the conversations don’t flow and the Doctorish banter I’ve grown to love has gone. There are some funny lines, but they’re just not that funny, oh, and Ryan bagged a spider with a saucepan first shot. Also this series has opted for a realistic approach, it’s trying to be that gritty detective come soap drama, which is fine, but what happens when you meet those traditional Dr Who monsters? I believe the sontarans are going to make an appearance in this series, so how will ‘SON TA RA’ sit in these realistic scripts? Are they going to regret their ways and make up with the Rutans? I’ve been with this show since the 1960’s but, I’m sure you’ll be pleased to know, this is where I get off. I’m glad so many of you are enjoying this version of the show and I hope it carries on delivering for you but I’ve tried really hard to get on board but, like Captain Jack, I’m just clinging on to the exterior….

• R1ch1e

October 29th, 2018 - 7:01am

Actually I thought that was really funny

• R1ch1e

October 29th, 2018 - 5:24am

Exactly how I like my Doctor Who. Creepy and weird and funny all at the same time. Brilliant central performances from the regulars. NIce, simple story. Chris Noth was a bit rubbish but he had much more about him than Krasko did last week. It just seemed to end abruptly as the Ghost Monument did.
    I don’t want Doctor Who to give me a headache after watching it like Lie of the Land for example. I just want to enjoy it. And I did. It ticked alot of boxes for me. Well done Chris Chibnall. More of this please
    9/10

October 29th, 2018 - 12:29am

I have a feeling we will see him again, like an evil american version of Harriet Jones…

• Luke Ryan

October 29th, 2018 - 12:00am

Nardole doesn’t count as a nonhuman companion then?

October 28th, 2018 - 10:52pm

I am really struggling now with Doctor Who, for several years now ABC Australia have been Streaming it on their Streaming Service starting straight after it finishes in the UK, about 6am. So I would get up make a Coffee and watch it. Today I completely forgot it was on till about 7.30am.
    Just can’t get excited about it, sorry not overly enthused about any of the Actors. Just doesn’t feel right, neither good nor bad.

• Mick C

October 28th, 2018 - 10:40pm

I thought we might have had a scene showing the Doctor setting something up to completely disgrace him and ensure he would never become President

October 28th, 2018 - 10:28pm

I miss them too.

• Spamella

October 28th, 2018 - 10:24pm

I thought that this espiode was well scary it is good to see the doctor having 3 companions to keep her company. I am looking forward to the rest of the season and the christmas espiode as well with plenty of famous faces in them.

• josh

October 28th, 2018 - 10:08pm

the first dud of the series for me, unfortunately, it wasn’t bad but it wasn’t great either it was just kind of ok. but really that was a given following last weeks episode.

• Lorraine

October 28th, 2018 - 10:05pm

Bradley Walsh was by far the best thing tonight. Was watchable but like an old Hammer House of Horror still no real Who vibe. Seemed to end too quickly so perhaps the pacing was a bit off again. “I could have a flat….” was so Matt Smith. The Doctor has the biggest flat going. Music and titles good. Dancing spiders at the end a bit silly. Predictable American character. 5 /10

• Dr phil

October 28th, 2018 - 9:38pm

Sorry, not feeling this series at all. Seems that the Dr is tryin to do a David Tennant impression whole time. Tardis columns block view of interior.

The show has been dumbed down