June 21st, 2013 67 comments

50th Anniversary Polls – Your Favourite Stories

50th Anniversary Polls – Your Favourite Stories

As we rapidly approach the 50th anniversary we thought we would run a series of polls for visitors to vote on their favourite stories from each Doctor.

Once all the votes are in we will produce a final poll with the top 2 or 3 stories from each Doctor.

You will then be able to vote for your top stories spanning the last 50 years which will give us one ultimate winner!

• Buy me

January 12th, 2014 - 1:16pm

Mine are stones of blod. Zygons. Tomb.

• L?????

September 26th, 2013 - 5:14pm

If only my local library would get more classic serials! We’ve got all of 9, most of 10 if not all, everything on 11, I think, except series 7 part 2, some of 3 and 4, and a couple of 2s! No 5th Doctor, one of 6 and the last one of 7! Seriously, we are pretty deprived. We have some novels, I think, but most are those e-book things, and some comics, including that new one that’s a crossover with Star Trek, and I don’t know how many audios we have but I’m going to have to look at those.

• Name

August 31st, 2013 - 4:54pm

-1st: The Myth Makers, the Ark, the Time Meddler
    -2nd: The Mind Robber, the Evil of the Daleks, the Enemy of the World
    -3rd: Inferno, the Sea Devils, the Daemons
    -4th: City of Death, Genesis of the Daleks, the Ark in Space
    -5th: The Caves of Androzani, Kinda, Snakedance
    -6th: Mindwarp, Vengeance on Varos
    -7th: Ghost Light, the Curse of Fenric
    -8th: (although you didn’t ask audios) The Chimes of Midnight, Immortal Beloved, Scherzo
    -9th: Dalek, Father’s Day
    -10th: Human Nature/The Family of Blood, Blink, Turn Left
    -11th: The Eleventh Hour, the God Complex, the Rebel Flesh/The Almost People

Shame to see the Myth Makers at the bottom of the poll. I think it’s rather good!

• The Lonely Lord

August 13th, 2013 - 2:55pm

If Vincent and the Doctor didn’t have the ending, it wouldn’t have been as great

• The Lonely Lord

August 13th, 2013 - 2:49pm

11th Doctor, The Eleventh Hour, Victory of the Daleks, The Angles Take Manhattan

• The Lonely Lord

August 13th, 2013 - 11:46am

Does anyone own Sperehead From Space on blu-ray?

• The Lonely Lord

August 13th, 2013 - 11:44am

What I picked:
    1st Doctor, The Daleks, The Dalek Invasion of Earth, The War Machines
    2nd Doctor, The Tomb of the Cybermen, The Invasion
    3rd Doctor, Sperehead From Space, The Three Doctors
    4th Doctor, Robot, Genesis of the Daleks, The Robots of Death
    5th Doctor, Earthshock, The Five Doctors
    6th Doctor, Attack of the Cybermen
    7th Doctor, Remembrance of the Daleks
    8th Doctor, NO
    9th Doctor, Aliens of London/World War Three, Bad Wolf/The Parting of the Ways
    10th Doctor, Human Nature/The Family of Blood, The Waters of Mars, The End of Time

My Doctors in order:

9. The 1st Doctor
    8. The 8th Doctor
    7. The 5th Doctor
    6. The 7th Doctor
    5. The Third Doctor
    4. The Second Doctor
    3. The Tenth Doctor(seriously, he is overrated)
    2. The Fourth Doctor
    1. The Eleventh Doctor

• Big D

July 7th, 2013 - 7:07pm

Three – funny and sarcastic???? I would have to disagree on that one – sorry. (JP is definitely my favourite). Action man – yes. Serious – yes. Injector of humour – yes but Sarcastic – no no no.
    Ten – overrated. Sorry.

• Big D

July 7th, 2013 - 7:02pm

And this is the big problem with this kind of survey. Alot of us that have watched it from the beginning will remember those episodes but others wont for the reasons you point out.

One of my personal favourites is Web Of Fear (PT)but I know this wont feature because its unavailble on dvd for the younger generation to enjoy.

So too, the overall winner will come from Doctor 4 onwards but will most likely be one of the RTD/SM ones as these are in the recent memory.

• Andrew

July 2nd, 2013 - 4:08pm

Not as bad as Paradise Towers and The Happiness Patrol coming below Silver Nemesis – were people mistaking Silver Nemesis for something else!

• Andrew

July 2nd, 2013 - 4:00pm

Boom Town is obviously much under-rated – that and Dalek are my favourite Eccleston episodes.

• Andrew

July 2nd, 2013 - 3:55pm

My earliest memories are of when Tom Baker took over (so I have a soft spot for his portrayal, and particularly Revenge of the Cybermen which is one of the earliest serials I remember) but I had a strange early Dr Who experience because, as well as Tom on the tv, I also had an old Hartnell annual at the same time – so Dr Who always had more than one face for men. The annual roused by curiosity about Hartnell, and when I eventually discovered his tv serials he rapidly became my favourite – and still is. Have to admit I don’t go a bundle on Tennant.

• Andrew

July 2nd, 2013 - 3:49pm

Yes, rather – but wouldn’t it be sooooooo much better if they included the Taran Wood Beast and Zog from The Ultimate Adventure stage show as well.

• Andrew

July 2nd, 2013 - 3:46pm

Have to admit I do find The Fat Controller rather amusing in Attack.

• Dalek: the Supreme

July 2nd, 2013 - 5:35am

I’m sure we can agree that the 50th Special should be impressive with the Tenth Doctor and the Zygons confirmed and the Daleks and Cybermen rumored.

• Dalek: the Supreme

July 2nd, 2013 - 5:34am

A Good Man Goes To War does a great job of showing the Doctor’s darker side, and seeing him at his lowest is wonderfully dark and depressing. The side characters Strax, Jenny, and Vastra are greatly entertaining, and when the Doctor asks who this woman is who has joined this orginization just so she can see him again because he touched her life is so sad and depressing.

• Dalek: the Supreme

July 2nd, 2013 - 5:31am

While I like Attack of the Cybermen better, I see your point. I think people mainly voted for The Stolen Earth/Journey’s End was because either the Daleks were in it or Rose/Davros was returning. As great as the Daleks are, just cause they’re in a story doesn’t mean it’s great. Sure Genesis, Remembrance, and Dalek are classics, but Destiny and the aforementioned Journey’s End are clear examples of why the presence of the Daleks doesn’t make it a good story.

• Dalek: the Supreme

July 2nd, 2013 - 5:27am

I think Last of the Time Lords did, but I haven’t seen it in a while, so who knows?

• Andrew

July 1st, 2013 - 10:19pm

We’ll agree to differ

• Dalek: the Supreme

July 1st, 2013 - 7:17pm

Firstly, the Seventh Doctor himself is a much darker incarnation. You might notice how the Doctor evolves into a darker character with almost every regeneration (Eight and Ten seem to be slight exceptions, and even in the Audios Eight can be grim). Secondly, It was never said the Doctor knew the Daleks themselves were after it at the time he took it. He obviously wouldn’t trust the Time Lords with mowing the lawn, and probably saw fit to take it. Thirdly, I actually like her character, she did start out a little mean-spirited, but she evolved into a better person as time went on, which is why she’s my favorite companion. Sorry if it seems like I’m attacking you, I’m really not trying to, I’m just trying to defend my favorite Dalek story.

• Dalek: the Supreme

July 1st, 2013 - 7:09pm

I can’t blame you, I’m almost insulted that The Stolen Earth/Journey’s End got so many votes.

• Andrew

July 1st, 2013 - 4:18pm

I have major problems with Remembrance of the Daleks. First Dr Who is quite happy to destroy a planet in his battle of wits with Davros (regardless of the genocide it will cause to the native species on Skaro and the effect it will have on other planets in the vicinity – this goes against the whole nature of the Dr’s character). Secondly, the serial blatantly re-writes the whole concept of the series with the Hand of Omega thing (so that Dr Who is aware of the Daleks before he has even met them, changing the whole reason for his arrival on earth in 1963, and making him some intergalactic manipulator from the very beginning instead of a traveller exploring the universe – and through this taints what others particularly like their about bygone eras in order to unnecessary overlay the modern whim on it). Thirdly, those early Ace serials just irritate me as her character is written by adults who think they know what teenagers are like but don’t. I hated ROTD at the time and still do – for me, it is a conceited folly. Sorry to those who like it.

• DoctorArkham

July 1st, 2013 - 4:14pm

Steven Moffat stated in a Vlog that he had no current plans on the Master’s return as he thinks that the Doctor should not have an arch nemesis but I think he’s wrong. The Master shoud not be thought of as a mere arch villain, but a match for the Doctor. Has anyone noticed that all the Master episodes don’t have Deus Ex Machina endings?

• Andrew

July 1st, 2013 - 3:58pm

I agree that some of Matt’s serials are really good – especially Amy’s Choice, Vincent and the Doctor and A Town called Mercy – but where I think it has been going wrong is by trying to cram everything into 45-minute episodes. Amy’s choice, Vincent and the Doctor and A Town called Mercy work in this format, but A Good Man goes to War just doesn’t because its a lot of elements that are not allowed to develop and don’t hang together properly as a story. There’s no point in doing spectacle for the sake of it, particularly if there’s no real story to hang it on, just a vague idea. The 2-parter that precedes AGMGTW works much better as the characters can establish themselves, interact with each other, and create a coherent story. Maybe I just like traditional British drama…

• Andrew

June 30th, 2013 - 9:48pm

Why do people like style over substance – I want longer serials where the story is allowed to develop and other characters are allowed to have character and a real role in the story. Compare the interaction between regulars and guests and the various plot strands in the 20th century series to what we have now.

• Andrew

June 30th, 2013 - 9:42pm

For some reason people seem to be equating monsters with good serials – rather than plot, character development and imagination. The original Dalek serial is quite rightly high on the Hartnell list because it is a very good serial (and not because it features the Daleks). Quite why the convoluted Attack of the Cybermen trumps the imaginative and darkly humorous Revelation of the Daleks beats me! But then, The End of Time is top of the DT list – so I’m obviously missing something…

• Dalek: the Supreme

June 30th, 2013 - 2:57pm

Eleven hasn’t met the Master yet, the only Doctor who hasn’t, which is a real shame because even One and Two, who were around before the Master was even thought of, met him in The Five Doctors.

• Dalek: the Supreme

June 30th, 2013 - 2:55pm

Fair point, but that’s more a problem with the first two Doctors rather than Three to Eleven.

• Andrew

June 30th, 2013 - 12:50pm

The problem with this sort of survey is that you are asking people to compare serials they have seen to those that no longer exist – and as lost episode recoveries have shown, you can’t judge a missing episode by the soundtrack.