October 7th, 2016 39 comments

Christmas 2016 – The Return of Doctor Mysterio

First Look at the Doctor Who Christmas Special

The 2016 Christmas special is “The Return of Doctor Mysterio”

the-return-of-doctor-mysterio

the-return-of-doctor-mysterio

Teaser image released by the BBC

x2016

• Peking Homunculus

October 10th, 2016 - 6:28am

DW needs to focus on alienating the tumblr people. Maybe do more solid concept episodes.

• Tim M

October 9th, 2016 - 9:12pm

Well. Abslom Daak could be shown minus the swearing I’m sure…but who would play him.

October 9th, 2016 - 4:11pm

Why cant we just have something more WHO conventional that EXCEEDS expectations?

October 9th, 2016 - 8:08am

It could just be the buttons on nardole’s coat

TARDIS H

• Wibbly Wobbly, Timey Wimey

October 9th, 2016 - 6:33am

If that was a tiny bit of a dalek I saw at 00:24, do you guys think that perhaps for Season 10 the daleks have got a new look? And that’s why they’re not showing them properly? It would explain why Moffat used clips from Into the Dalek in that video introducing Bill, because they don’t want anyone to see their new look until when the episode airs.

What do you guys think?

• The Super Whovian

October 8th, 2016 - 7:09pm

That would be cool but I think he would have to be in a spin off like Torchwood due to his swearing.

• Thewhoman

October 8th, 2016 - 3:13pm

I now see the I shape behind the G 😛

• Tim M

October 8th, 2016 - 2:53pm

How about a Dalek episode with Abslom Daak. Long overdue a proper appearance in an actual televised story.

October 8th, 2016 - 2:47pm

New York. Again. Fresh ideas all the time.

• Tim M

October 8th, 2016 - 1:06pm

Looks very promising. And it wouldn’t be Christmas without a superhero. So why not have one in Doctor Who.

• Thewhoman

October 8th, 2016 - 11:36am

I don’t see where people are getting the .I from? The badge is just a G on some red panelling…

• Thewhoman

October 8th, 2016 - 11:34am

I see what you mean by the Dalek thing, but I don’t think it is.

• Olliander Woods

October 8th, 2016 - 10:15am

I wonder what the Mexican title for this episode is…

• Doyouhearthem?

October 8th, 2016 - 10:14am

Well, as far as I’m aware, the TV show has to feature the Daleks at least once a year otherwise the rights revert to Terry Nation’s estate, so that may well be…

• Wibbly Wobbly, Timey Wimey

October 8th, 2016 - 4:34am

I think this looks very promising, it doesn’t seem too silly, ans 2016 New York should be interesting for Doctor Who.

I don’t much fancy the Great Intelligence as a villain (I absolutely hated him in The Name of the Doctor), but perhaps this time will be better. If Mark Gatiss says this is one of Moffat’s greatest episodes than I can’t wait!

Is it just me, or do I see a dalek at 00:24? On the right, just for a second, I thought I saw a glimmer of a dalek moving into that white room. Anyone else see it?

• Cman1O1Dalek

October 8th, 2016 - 2:12am

Welp this is confusing

• Doctor Who Archive

October 8th, 2016 - 2:07am

The Return of Doctor Who, then? It has been a year haha

• Doctor Who Archive

October 8th, 2016 - 1:56am

The synopsis says the Doctor teams up with a journalist, Nardole and a super-hero in 2016 New York to fight a deadly alien threat.

The G.I on Justin Chatwin’s super suit suggests the Great Intelligence.

• Doctor Who Archive

October 8th, 2016 - 1:51am

THE Best apparently. It also made Mark cry!

October 8th, 2016 - 1:46am

Hang on… GI… Great Intelligence?

• JA

October 7th, 2016 - 10:12pm

So good-old sci-fi monsters and recently fairy tales and love stories have been explored in DW Christmas specials, but not Superheroes…looking forward for this now….

• 12th Doctor Fan

October 7th, 2016 - 8:12pm

Looking forward to this and Class now after not being excited but more I see the more I’m interested.

• Olliander Woods

October 7th, 2016 - 7:51pm

Mark Gatiss said it was one of Moffat’s best scripts.

October 7th, 2016 - 7:47pm

Doctor mysterio is what they called Doctor Who in Mexico.

• 100,000BC

October 7th, 2016 - 7:26pm

Looks cool. I’m not sure if the superhero is Doctor Mysterio or if the Doctor is, since the superhero’s badge says GI…?!

I think it looks good though.

October 7th, 2016 - 7:19pm

Urgh just….urgh this isn’t giving me any sort of excitement class on the other hand

• BiggerOnTheInside

October 7th, 2016 - 6:43pm

This looks, OK? I just hope that the script isn’t do childish. I know it’s a Christmas special, but look at episodes like Voyage Of The Damned, there’s a lot of death but it can still be shown at 6pm on Christmas Day. As I enjoy comic books, this will be interesting, but going from the photo, and the video, I can’t say I’m really enjoying what I’m seeing, unfortunately.

• DalekAgent

October 7th, 2016 - 6:15pm

I cant wait for this but Im not sure if its just me but from looking at that clip, the city reminds me of Gotham and Doctor Mysterio reminds me of Batman

• The Super Whovian

October 7th, 2016 - 6:06pm

A superhero in the Doctor Who universe, I can’t wait for next years Christmas special Doctor Mysterio V Doctor Who Dawn of Doctor.

In all serious this Christmas special sounds interesting its so random it might work.

• Trenzalore

October 7th, 2016 - 4:52pm

Sounds fun.
    I’m just hoping its not too silly.

I feel like cos its Moffat’s last series it wont be very well thought out and have random ideas thrown in for fun which could make DW a little unwelcoming, I really think DW needs to focus on grabbing a new younger audience not just the tumblr fan-fic type people. Series 5 and 6 were great because they’d all been thought out and they felt like work had been put into them for years lately though things just feel like afterthoughts. Hope this series isn’t like that. I like fun but also good storytelling.