June 14th, 2016 41 comments

Matt Lucas to join Peter Capaldi and Pearl Mackie for Series 10

From the offcial site

Squeak! Squeak! Squeak! The bumbling duffel-coated Nardole, is back!

Following his hilarious appearance in The Husbands of River Song, Matt Lucas returns to Doctor Who from the opening episode of series 10 which starts filming next week in Cardiff (Monday 20 June).

Commenting on his return to Doctor Who, Matt Lucas, said:

“I’m chuffed to bits that Nardole is returning to the TARDIS for some more adventures. I loved acting with Peter and I’m excited to work with Pearl.”

Bringing her energy and zest to the show, Pearl Mackie embarks on her first week of filming as she takes up the role of the Doctor’s companion. In her first major television role following her West End appearance in The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time, she’ll be bursting on to screens in the opening episode.

Steven Moffat, lead writer and Executive Producer, added:

“Delighted and slightly amazed to be welcoming Matt Lucas back on to the TARDIS – and this time it’s not just for Christmas, he’s sticking around. One of the greatest comedy talents on planet Earth is being unleashed on all of time and space.”

Stephanie Hyam will play a guest cast role in the new series and is recognised for her performance as Lily Clarke in Jekyll & Hyde. She’s also appeared in Peaky Blinders, Murdered by My Boyfriend, and Sherlock.

The opening episode of series 10 is written by Doctor Who showrunner Steven Moffat,executive produced by Brian Minchin, produced by Peter Bennett and directed by Lawrence Gough. The second episode in the new series has been crafted by award winning screenwriter Frank Cottrell-Boyce.

Doctor Who is a BBC Cymru Wales produced drama for BBC One. It will return in December 2016 with a Christmas Special, followed by the new series in 2017.

• 100,000BC

July 27th, 2016 - 8:56pm

No, that was the name given to the mini teaser scene introducing the new companion, Bill (i.e., Bill is the ‘Friend from the Future’ as she is the future companion).

• Acefan13

July 27th, 2016 - 5:37pm

Will the first episode be called friend form the future

• KORSAIR

July 6th, 2016 - 6:21pm

I think the 2018 series under the new show runner will be the make or break year, I watched the last season on autopilot out of loyalty I hope the 2017 series is better.

• MrHaloWho

June 28th, 2016 - 6:40pm

Okay, Doctor Who has reached the point where I don’t care if it’s canned. Steven Moffat’s taken the unsinkable Titanic, and it crashing it into an iceberg. In slow motion. And then the Titanic comes back, and crashes again.

• Barb

June 26th, 2016 - 3:41pm

i am glad the show is returning. sad that it is taking so long. really missed it this season.

June 25th, 2016 - 12:13am

Eric cartman ?

June 24th, 2016 - 3:22pm

I agree with you completely. Doctor Who is a shadow of its former self, especially when it reached its arguable peak with Tom Baker, Lis Sladen and Philip Hinchcliffe in 1975/76.

June 24th, 2016 - 11:59am

I don,t now

• Obsie

June 21st, 2016 - 9:01pm

I hope we’re not going to be made to get excited at wonderful “guest stars” who are in for all of five minutes then promptly vanish/die/get eaten. At this rate it will be like actors appearing on the Morecambe & Wise shows of old; or has it done that already ? It certainly did it a lot of times during the 80’s and all I could do is groan with despair.

• Obsie

June 21st, 2016 - 8:54pm

I agree and I’d hardly call it a “hilarious appearance”, all I can hope for is that his character becomes more than light relief.

• Fiona Ting

June 21st, 2016 - 5:05pm

I think he will be great on doctor who series

• Wibbly Wobbly, Timey Wimey Stuff

June 19th, 2016 - 2:00am

They already did an episode like that in Series 9, Nathan. It was Heaven Sent. Though I agree that I would like another episode like that. It’s one of my favourite’s.

• Nathan

June 18th, 2016 - 2:32pm

Also, I would love to have an episode with either just the doctor or just the companion, not together.

• Wibbly Wobbly, Timey Wimey Stuff

June 18th, 2016 - 7:48am

I don’t think Nardole was terrible in The Husbands of River Song, but he wasn’t exactly extremely funny and memorable. I really don’t hope he will appear as often as say, the Paternoster Gang in Series 7 and 8.
    My ideal Series 10 would be:

A complicated story line
    The return of the Weeping Angels
    Definitely more alien planets
    A villain from old Doctor Who to return
    More individual episodes than two parters
    For the Doctor to stay male

If we have to wait an extra year, I hope Series 10 will be brilliant!

June 17th, 2016 - 4:00pm

Yes agreed, is this a kids freak show?

June 17th, 2016 - 3:59pm

I’m not watching doctor who anymore too many ridicolouslily stupid characters, make it interesting, educational and dark. Like the days when it was popular,

• WFK DVD Collector 16

June 17th, 2016 - 2:22pm

Agreed.

• GallifreyanKnight

June 17th, 2016 - 8:14am

Pointless.

June 16th, 2016 - 7:33pm

I’ve got a bad feeling about this. Was happy with Pearl on her own, she’s a great actor. I thought Matt Lucas was ok in the Christmas episode but as a sustained character? I can’t see it myself…

• 47

June 16th, 2016 - 5:21pm

Urrggh. An instantly forgettable character from a dreadful episode…. why bother bringing it back ?
    Can’t say I am keen on this news, nor the new companion.. My first impressions there were not favourable, it may be just an introduction, and of course there is room for character growth and progression, but you don’t want to come away with “my word, they’ve gone for a gobby moron.”
    Doesn’t exactly get me eager for the next season, and now another nonsense comedy character…..
    Early days, I know, but if this was a movie trailer, I wouldn’t be parting with my £££ at this point in time.

• 12th Doctor Fan

June 15th, 2016 - 5:04pm

Interested to see how this goes, I’m excited hopefully not to over the top, glad no River, I’d rather no Missy either and some older monsters from the past, The Axons from Claws of Axos. That would be perfect.

June 15th, 2016 - 10:02am

I wouldn’t exactly say he had a hilarious appearance in the husbands of riversong. Looks like this is the new Strax, trying and failing to bring comic relief

• Omega63

June 14th, 2016 - 8:39pm

Almost certainly a typical Moffat script, just bypasses it most likely with no explanation. The best well get is, he got his body back…

• Part Gollum Part Time Lord

June 14th, 2016 - 6:39pm

Meh, fine by me, but I am petrified for episode 2- surely Frank Cottrell-Boyce can’t mess up any more!!!???

• The super whovian

June 14th, 2016 - 5:20pm

Bit of a random character but as long as he is interesting ill be fine

June 14th, 2016 - 5:13pm

‘well,i don’t like him’

• Savethecoffeeboysavetheworld

June 14th, 2016 - 4:57pm

Also mark gatiss, sarah dollard and mike Bartlett are writing!

• Doctor Who Crazy Ross

June 14th, 2016 - 3:38pm

If he gets his body back then it must be pre THORS, but if it was then how would he not recognize the Doctor? I cant imagine they’d have the budget to constantly CGI his head onto Hydroflax?

• Doctor Who Crazy Ross

June 14th, 2016 - 3:37pm

Not sure how I feel about this.
    After seeing him as Nardole in THORS it worried me that it becomes more of a pantomime.

• doctor who fan 11

June 14th, 2016 - 3:37pm

ok so is he still a head in a robot or will he get his body back