October 7th, 2018 193 comments

Poll – What Did You Think of The Woman Who Fell To Earth?

Now that the highly anticipated First episode of series 11 has aired what did you think? Was it everything you had hoped for or not what you expected.

We don’t get aliens in Sheffield. In a South Yorkshire city, Ryan Sinclair, Yasmin Khan and Graham O’Brien are about to have their lives changed forever, as a mysterious woman, unable to remember her own name, falls from the night sky.

Can they believe a word she says? And can she help solve the strange events taking place across the city?

The Complete Series 11 DVD, Blu-ray and steelbook are available to order in the UK from www.amazon.co.uk. The DVD and Blu-ray are available to order in the USA from www.amazon.com

• Tim M

October 8th, 2018 - 9:16pm

I thought it was handed poorly actually. Why on earth was Ryan trying to cycle on an uneven ground anyway, hardly going to improve his confidence, it’s no wonder he threw the bicycle away, especially with Gran and ‘Grandad’ encouraging him as if he was aged four! I found it very tacky and not well handled nor well acted.

October 8th, 2018 - 9:13pm

For the record I counted 16 seconds of exposure to space so at the very least the humans should have passed out? But as ET17 has pointed out they may not be in space – space.

• Arthurian 2

October 8th, 2018 - 7:43pm

Yeah OK Stu, but lets face it, there were plenty of boxes being ticked and it just seemed so unnecessary.

October 8th, 2018 - 7:16pm

The title sequence is coming next episode don’t worry

• Blungering Hinklesburn

October 8th, 2018 - 7:02pm

^ True indeed, but come on! These last few series, if someone had said that the show will be getting an overnight of over 8m in 2018, even for just one episode, would any of us have believed that?

That’s a higher number than both Smith and Capaldi got for their introduction. There’s every reason to be delighted by this figure, even if the numbers become more average for the rest of the series.

• Omega63

October 8th, 2018 - 6:42pm

The way that it works is the lenses will be wider, so you’re actually just seeing ‘more screen’ essentially. Think of it this way, if you widened you TV screen but kept it at the same height, then that’d be the frame.

If you really wanted to you could zoom a little to make it 16:9 again

• ET71

October 8th, 2018 - 6:36pm

And don’t forget, we’re watching a show about an alien being that can rebuild DNA from the ground up to become a new form, man or woman, young or old, and walk, talk and interact with mortal Earth beings while travelling in a box that’s bigger on the insider and who fights other aliens and other impossible creatures and who has also reset the Universe a couple of times. So perhaps a bit of floating in space can be forgiven! 😉 (That said, we’re all assuming they’re actually in space-space… we might all find out they’re in some sort of containment field…)

• Robbo

October 8th, 2018 - 6:24pm

Tim Shaw is also a Sheffield born TV and Radio presenter of factual engineering and science TV series, and Car SoS.

• Rex Lloyd

October 8th, 2018 - 5:58pm

Ok, I thought Jodie Whitaker’s performance was ok. I mean she literally befriends 3 new people in 5 minutes like is this self aware that the doctor just befriends new people in 5 minutes. Anyway. I thought her performance was a little over the top and a bit like a 10 year old me pretending to be The Doctor so I felt like this doctor is an echo on how I would play the doctor so it was werid. Anyway I do hope she appeals to younger people more cause more people need to watch Doctor and and 8.20 million tuned in last night and I. Am shocked. I can’t wait to see more Jodie

October 8th, 2018 - 3:45pm

Yes it is escapism, and the show comes mostly under SCIENCE fiction not fantasy.
    And we have books on the “science of Doctor Who” so it should have some strong elements of reality in it when it comes to science.

Originally as we all know it was to be an educational series and in many ways it has been, considering this is Science fiction we should have some elements of educational fact.

I would point out that in World Enough And Time/The Doctor Falls did a very good job in explaining how black holes cause time distortion and this proves that science and reality can/should be part of Doctor Who.

• CG

October 8th, 2018 - 2:59pm

I loved the whole episode – storyline was good for an opener in my opinion. I had a few queries though….
    Will we get a ‘title sequence’? – which was one thing I was really surprised me! I did like the music at the end though – nice variation, sounded like a mix between the Eccleston/Tennant theme and the first original theme.
    Other than that loved the characters, their stories and everything! Left a few gaps for possible returns of themes and storylines too.

• The Werewolf

October 8th, 2018 - 2:36pm

This episode is far, far better than The Eleventh Hour. The Eleventh Hour was just awful right the way through, whilst The Woman Who Fell to Earth had a couple of meh moments in the middle, started strong, and ended very strong.

October 8th, 2018 - 2:25pm

That was regeneration energy wasn’t it? The same thing that Ten released into the atmosphere

October 8th, 2018 - 2:24pm

Far to early.

• The Outcast

October 8th, 2018 - 2:08pm

The alien’s name sounds a bit like the name “Tim Shaw”, though it’s really something like “Tzim sha”*.

*That’s probably not the actual spelling of his name, but I can’t be bothered to search for it.

• The Outcast

October 8th, 2018 - 2:05pm

I dunno how 13 survived the fall, but I suspect it’ll have something to do with the glowing thing that flew out of her mouth. Will we ever find out and get an explanation for that? The Doctor did say she’d explain later…

October 8th, 2018 - 1:19pm

An agenda to get rid of men on the BBC? The trailer was there so they could show off the new music and give us a taster of the guest stars this series as opposed to ruining all the plot points and monsters. And showcasing 90% women? No, there were 9 women in that trailer and 11 men so I respect your opinion but that part just simply isn’t true

• the ergon

October 8th, 2018 - 1:13pm

Also have we all forgot about the atmospheric bubble that allowed Amy to float outside or wilf with with his flask and sandwich.

• The Living Shadow

October 8th, 2018 - 12:58pm

When did social issues take the forefront of this episode more than any other episodes? Maybe the parts about the dyspraxia, but I thought that aspect was handled well

• Lightningboy

October 8th, 2018 - 11:40am

All to true sadly..it’s all blatantly aimed at the “Doctor Who started in 2005” audience…make me the “show-runner” & i’ll sort it out.

• Lightningboy

October 8th, 2018 - 11:23am

Agree..Jodie Wittaker is a good choice but sadly (if not surprisingly) the rest of it was very underwhelming..I found the cast,writing & story amateurish & dull..Was hoping i’d love it but I guess this is what you get when you have the wrong people in charge with so many boxes to tick..sadly it’s no longer aimed at original Who fans but aimed at the mass US market..the average viewer will love it & therein lies the problem…the 1 pluspoint was the nod to the original closing credits but even that was botched – watched a Pertwee episode last night – how can the credits from 45 years ago look & sound more advanced?..I suppose it’s too much to expect a return to the original Tardis interior too?

Sometimes new isn’t necessarily always better..tbh i’ve found it very hit & miss since it’s return in 2005 (some of Capaldi’s episodes being the highpoint for me)..think i’ll stick to my Pertwee,Baker,Davison & Baker collection for my fix.

4/10

• Tim M

October 8th, 2018 - 11:06am

First episodes of a new Doctor generally perform very well. It’s how they pan out during the course of the series that matters. Still too early to say yet.

• Dalek Eye Stalk

October 8th, 2018 - 11:01am

Plus if Chibnall is reaching out for more realism, why then hasn’t the Doctor changed her clothes sooner, or at the very least had a wash! The Doctor must have stunk by the time of the funeral.

• R1ch1e

October 8th, 2018 - 10:42am

But In the 60s Jamie and Zoe were clutching onto the Tardis console long enough for her to scream Jamie it’s the Doctor! Arrghh Arrghh!!

• the ergon

October 8th, 2018 - 10:21am

Thankyou Mr. Brian Cox. Doctor Who as always been more science Fantasy than Science Fiction and I don,t want it so grounded in reality. Doctor Who is supposed to be escapism.

• arthurian2

October 8th, 2018 - 10:09am

Interesting to read the many comments about the opening episode of our much loved show. Like other viewers I have also been there since the 1960’s and watched through all it’s highs and lows. As a bloke I’m starting to feel that theres an agenda to get rid of us on the BBC, with a trailer that heralded it’s female led shows, (many of which I had watched), then a cast list, (why?) of 90% female upcoming actors, it just like constantly shouting in your face. The end of the show should have given us a taster as to what’s coming in future episodes, if, for no other reason, to keep those of us that thought it wasn’t the greatest opening to perhaps hang on for future episodes. My main issue was that there were too many ‘friends’, all of whom accepted her as an alien in charge very quickly. To be honest me and my partner thought the grandmother was the most interesting character, and he killed her off! She would have have made a far better ‘friend’. Also Jodie seems far more sparky in interviews than she did as the Doctor, couldn’t really understand why, maybe the script or direction! And finally the music, well nothing memorable throughout the show and finally getting the revamped theme at the end which was basically the fabulous original which some terrible skittering drum beats over the top, sorry get rid of those drums and let’s hear the best version of the theme ever, the original. That all said I will continue to watch as to be honest I think it will need the viewing figures. Oh, and also there were two women discussing the show on the BBC breakfast show, no men available, and a Dr Who Barbie doll……..

• Blungering Hinklesburn

October 8th, 2018 - 9:55am

Speaking of ratings – it got an overnight of 8.2 million, a share of 40.1%.

That. Is absolutely amazing. Nearly double the overnight of series 10’s opener. If (IF) the show keeps that up, the show is onto a massive winner.

October 8th, 2018 - 9:18am

Speaking as a gender change sceptic we need to see now that it’s here how all of series 11 pans out, wider reaction and overall viewing figures to get a full perspective and sense of what shape Who looks like being in for a series 12.

October 8th, 2018 - 9:07am

It’s her accent though, how was it unnecessary? It’s literally how she speaks. That’s like saying if David Tennant spoke with his natural Scottish accent that it would have been ‘unnecessary’

October 8th, 2018 - 9:06am