August 2nd, 2013 209 comments

12th Doctor To Be Revealed Live This Sunday 7.00PM

12th Doctor Revealed Live This Sunday 7.00PM

From The BBC…

Back in June we confirmed that Matt Smith would be leaving Doctor Who and since then there’s been intense speculation about who would be taking over the role of the Doctor. But the guesswork and conjecture end this weekend… The BBC will reveal the identity of the next Doctor during a live BBC One show that begins at 7pm on Sunday, 04 August. You can watch a trailer for the programme now!

The news about the announcement has been delivered in the following press release:

Doctor Who Live: The Next Doctor

In a special one-off live television event on BBC One this Sunday 4th August at 7pm, the next Doctor will be exclusively revealed to the nation.

Widely regarded as one of the most hotly contested roles in British television, the show’s host Zoe Ball will unveil the 12th Doctor in the first ever interview in front of a live studio audience set against the backdrop of a swirling vortex, amongst Daleks and the TARDIS.

The half hour show will include live special guests, Doctors old and new, as well as companions and celebrity fans.

Excitement will reach fever pitch as they speculate and recall their favourites, plus feature clips and moments from across the show’s 50 year history.

Current Doctor Matt Smith and lead writer and executive producer Steven Moffat will both give interviews about one of the biggest roles in TV and set out just what it takes to be the Doctor.

Steven Moffat says: “The decision is made and the time has come to reveal who’s taking over the TARDIS. For the last of the Time Lords, the clock is striking twelve.”

Charlotte Moore, Controller BBC One says: “BBC One is the home of big live events and this special live show is the perfect way to reveal the identity of the next Doctor and share it with the nation. The Doctor is a truly iconic role and I’m more than excited about the booking.”

Ben Stephenson, Controller, BBC Drama Commissioning says: “We can’t wait to unveil the next Doctor with everyone live on BBC1 on Sunday night. Amongst all the speculation and betting, there has been lots of fun and intrigue at work as we’ve been using the codename Houdini as a decoy! It’s the biggest secret in showbiz, even those working with the new Doctor on other projects at the moment have no idea they are in the presence of the 12th incarnation.”

Keep up to date with all the latest news about the show and special guests as we build to the big climax over the next few days and follow www.facebook.com/BBCOne, @ BBCOne and @bbcdoctorwho and bbc.co.uk/doctorwho

The special live show is made by BBC Entertainment and Events for BBC One, Guy Freeman is Executive producer and Pinki Chambers is Executive Commissioning Editor. Commissioned by Charlotte Moore, Controller BBC One.

The show will be simulcast live on BBC America. Doctor Who is produced by BBC Cymru Wales.

Before the announcement we’ll bring you lots more exciting news, including how you can be part of the big reveal!

• the astroanout of death

August 3rd, 2013 - 1:51pm

It is just how things go now

it is just modern tv

• josh smith

August 3rd, 2013 - 1:39pm

yes not female

• the astroanout of death

August 3rd, 2013 - 1:37pm

I don’t care if the doctor is fat thin old or young

just as long they are not FEMAILE!

• josh smith

August 3rd, 2013 - 1:34pm

because girls like to look at attractive boys and boys (like myself) like to look at attractive females (peri). its human nature

• josh smith

August 3rd, 2013 - 1:32pm

john hurt isnt a doctor

• josh smith

August 3rd, 2013 - 1:31pm

i hope the next doctor is a young male 20-25

• TheBritishCupOfTea

August 3rd, 2013 - 11:36am

it’s only 30 minutes long, so go to bed early, set an alarm, wake up at that time then go back to bed after it’s over.
    or just record it

August 3rd, 2013 - 11:23am

I hope the next doctor is an actor in his fiftys

August 3rd, 2013 - 11:20am

You missed out john hurt

August 3rd, 2013 - 9:39am

if u have sky plus u can record it

August 3rd, 2013 - 9:38am

on the bbca trailer it said 2pm check the trailer on yt if u want. hope this helps

• tardis mike

August 3rd, 2013 - 8:09am

PS. I too am celebrating my 50th anniversary this year so feel that I’ve been in this long journey with show too. Like me the show has grown up, matured, had many good times, made some mistakes on the way but is still standing, had great memories but still excited about what the future holds!

• tardis mike

August 3rd, 2013 - 8:02am

I’m looking forward to seeing who the new Doctor will be but equally I will be sad to see Matt Smith leave. I’m a bit sad at some of the negative attitude to season 7. I suspect there’s been a bit of jumping on bandwagons. I’ve just re-watched Asylum, Mercy, Bells, Cold and been excited by the strength of the script, the top notch acting and first class production values. This is inventive British television at its best and we all should celebrate it. The magic of Doctor Who is that it’s story telling is so broad that the stories can cater for all tastes. We will all have our favourites but that doesn’t make the ones we prefer less rubbish. I’m proud of the excitement created by Doctor Who and looking forward to seeing the new guy in action.

• DOCTOR WHO ONE

MATT SMITH 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂
    The 11th Doctor [2010 – 2013]

???????????? 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 😉
    The 12th Doctor [2013 – ????]

• John kohlway

August 3rd, 2013 - 4:56am

When will we get this in the U.S. Colonies. Is this another timey-whimey thingy….

• Liason Ice

August 3rd, 2013 - 3:14am

It’s being broadcast at 4am on Monday in Australia 🙁
    How can I handle school if I miss my sleep

• Dalek the Supreme

August 3rd, 2013 - 2:50am

Whoever it is, they’ll have giant boots to fill. Many people said that of Matt Smith when he took over from Tennant, but in my opinion it is the Twelfth Officially Canon Doctor who has much larger boots to fill. I hope you continue to stay such a great actor, Matt Smith.

• Dalek the Supreme

August 3rd, 2013 - 2:48am

I’m tired of people wanting RTD or David Tennant back. If you can’t move on with the show, then you shouldn’t stay a fan, because Doctor Who is ABOUT change. Sometimes the changes are good, for example, Matt Smith is my favorite Doctor, Moffat has written some of my all time favorites, and what they did with Sylvester McCoy’s Doctor from Season 25 onwards was great, but sometimes it takes a turn for the worst, for example, Season 24 was a shambles, unworthy of McCoy’s Doctor, and RTD, while he wrote some fine scripts, he failed miserably with scripts like Love and Monsters, Fear Her, and The Stolen Earth/Journey’s End. The point is, the show is about change and regeneration, and if you want anything else, then watch a show that’s stayed the same all the time.

• 76 Totters Lane

August 3rd, 2013 - 12:04am

I reckon that it will be an actor called Harry, maybe Harry Lloyd, because of the Harry ‘Houdini’ codename.

• KatherineKellyFor12thDoctor

August 2nd, 2013 - 11:56pm

Your so right they need to get back how they used to be pre Matt Smith!

August 2nd, 2013 - 11:45pm

Katherine Kelly or Sheridan Smith

August 2nd, 2013 - 10:36pm

Well I’ve seen some stuff on You Tube about the 50th anniversary special explaining John Hurts “Doctor” which if true also suggests an explanation for who blew up the Tardis among other things.

If borne out in a way that makes sense in English and not just gibberish pretending to be in English Moffatt will have redeemed himself more from the charge of crimes against story arc logic and resort to wibbly wobbily timey wimey as a “plot” deus ex machina too much.

Nonetheless Whenever Mark Gattis takes creative control I will simply say here:

Hooray!!:)

• pug dalek

August 2nd, 2013 - 10:17pm

If I hear rtd one more time I will go nats piz no rtd 🙄

• im no longer going to be here

August 2nd, 2013 - 10:15pm

how do you get tickets?

August 2nd, 2013 - 10:07pm

Seems like it will be Peter Capaldi so I wonder what Moffatt’s thinking and feeling like if the cats already out of the bag? That or he’s chuckling away that everybody’s so wrong.

Oh and maybe, JUST maybe we will see the now infamous trailer that was shown at SDCON in the programme as well.

• The Daleks’ Advocate

August 2nd, 2013 - 2:23pm

I don’t mean they necessarily have to change EVERYTHING from the usual young, attractive, white, male Doctor, but for a being who “might have two heads or no head” after a regeneration, why should he always stay a white male? If the Doctor can change hair colour, why couldn’t he change skin colour too? How is getting a second head or no head at all more far-fetched than getting boobs and a hole instead of an excrescence behind the legs?

• Jamie

August 2nd, 2013 - 2:17pm

I got my tickets emailed a couple of days ago now.

• obeythewhispermen

August 2nd, 2013 - 12:26pm

sorry I forgot to put my name

August 2nd, 2013 - 12:25pm

I want the person who plays Sherlock or Pete firman the magician.

• Some bloke

August 2nd, 2013 - 11:50am

they say they haven’t been looking long, when I expect they’ve been looking for months now. We may have found out matt was leaving in june, but we would have told moffat more than likely at the end of last year. Be a bit stupid if he told moffat in june and said ‘Moff, I want to leave, and I want to leave by the end of this year’ HA