August 2nd, 2013 209 comments

12th Doctor To Be Revealed Live This Sunday 7.00PM

12th Doctor Revealed Live This Sunday 7.00PM

From The BBC…

Back in June we confirmed that Matt Smith would be leaving Doctor Who and since then there’s been intense speculation about who would be taking over the role of the Doctor. But the guesswork and conjecture end this weekend… The BBC will reveal the identity of the next Doctor during a live BBC One show that begins at 7pm on Sunday, 04 August. You can watch a trailer for the programme now!

The news about the announcement has been delivered in the following press release:

Doctor Who Live: The Next Doctor

In a special one-off live television event on BBC One this Sunday 4th August at 7pm, the next Doctor will be exclusively revealed to the nation.

Widely regarded as one of the most hotly contested roles in British television, the show’s host Zoe Ball will unveil the 12th Doctor in the first ever interview in front of a live studio audience set against the backdrop of a swirling vortex, amongst Daleks and the TARDIS.

The half hour show will include live special guests, Doctors old and new, as well as companions and celebrity fans.

Excitement will reach fever pitch as they speculate and recall their favourites, plus feature clips and moments from across the show’s 50 year history.

Current Doctor Matt Smith and lead writer and executive producer Steven Moffat will both give interviews about one of the biggest roles in TV and set out just what it takes to be the Doctor.

Steven Moffat says: “The decision is made and the time has come to reveal who’s taking over the TARDIS. For the last of the Time Lords, the clock is striking twelve.”

Charlotte Moore, Controller BBC One says: “BBC One is the home of big live events and this special live show is the perfect way to reveal the identity of the next Doctor and share it with the nation. The Doctor is a truly iconic role and I’m more than excited about the booking.”

Ben Stephenson, Controller, BBC Drama Commissioning says: “We can’t wait to unveil the next Doctor with everyone live on BBC1 on Sunday night. Amongst all the speculation and betting, there has been lots of fun and intrigue at work as we’ve been using the codename Houdini as a decoy! It’s the biggest secret in showbiz, even those working with the new Doctor on other projects at the moment have no idea they are in the presence of the 12th incarnation.”

Keep up to date with all the latest news about the show and special guests as we build to the big climax over the next few days and follow www.facebook.com/BBCOne, @ BBCOne and @bbcdoctorwho and bbc.co.uk/doctorwho

The special live show is made by BBC Entertainment and Events for BBC One, Guy Freeman is Executive producer and Pinki Chambers is Executive Commissioning Editor. Commissioned by Charlotte Moore, Controller BBC One.

The show will be simulcast live on BBC America. Doctor Who is produced by BBC Cymru Wales.

Before the announcement we’ll bring you lots more exciting news, including how you can be part of the big reveal!

• Case

August 4th, 2013 - 4:25am

No matter who it turns out being, I’ll probably be surprised. As an American, there aren’t very many British TV actors I’m familiar with. Out of the actors given out as speculation, I’ve only recognized the man who played Frobisher in Torchwood and Chiwetel Ejiofor. Even then I only know only Ejiofor by name! I may be at a disadvantage because of this, but I think it adds an extra chocolate chip to my proverbial cookie! 🙂

• Silence Will Still Fall

August 3rd, 2013 - 11:57pm

I would be very very happy with peter capaldi as our 12th doctor. In regards to misha collins’s tweet I’d rather have a british woman as our doctor (surranne jones) over any american because as harsh as this may sound, as soon as the usa get their claws into doctor who it will be the beginning of the end! (i don’t have a problem with an american writer, companion or the odd episode shot in america but the role of our favourite timelord must remain british)

• thedaleksdeath

August 3rd, 2013 - 11:48pm

:O HOW COULD FORGET RUPERT!!!!!!!! NOOO!!!!!

August 3rd, 2013 - 11:04pm

Anyone seen misha Collins’ tweet? It says he has some exciting news about the uk and phone boxes. Something along those lines. Check it out

• phil jones

August 3rd, 2013 - 10:55pm

Well I think its going to surprise everyone- welcome back Tennant. That’s put a surprise on or faces hey!!!

• Doctor PSY

August 3rd, 2013 - 10:43pm

Whoever it is I don’t REALLY mind the gender, as long as he/she is a good actor who is serious and will take on the role well an confidently…
    However I would prefer a man to a woman, it’d just be a bit weird having a female doctor, do you agree?
    Did you hear in the paper that Simon Cowell was one of the suspected next doctor as he wa supposedly caught playin with his sonic screwdriver and watching doctor who…

• Doctor PSY

August 3rd, 2013 - 10:37pm

Whoops, usin’ my new phone…
    Not logged in…

August 3rd, 2013 - 10:35pm

Recording would be the best thing to do, just record and watch it before you go to school!

• RYCBAR123

August 3rd, 2013 - 9:25pm

Still clinging to a tiny hope that it could be Stephen Merchant. Just imagine that, eh? 🙂

• dalekdan12345

August 3rd, 2013 - 9:15pm

OMG ANDREW LINCOLN!!!! THIS HAS TO BE THE 12th!!!!

• The Supreme Dalek

August 3rd, 2013 - 8:51pm

To be honest it’s not about who we think and want him to be, it is what Moffat wants him to be and according to the details we have then he is a forgotten incarnation and ‘secret’ of the Doctor.

• The Supreme Dalek

August 3rd, 2013 - 8:49pm

Fine, but if Doctor Who goes Twilight-ish, then I blame the fanbase (excluding me and everyone who agrees that we shouldn’t have an actor between 20-25) 😐

• Ridley Fan

August 3rd, 2013 - 8:48pm

I think Rob has got it right about Matt; I never found his Doctor engaging but I recognised that he had borrowed heavily from Pat Troughton’s characterisation. I think that Peter Capaldi would be an excellent choice and I really believe that the 12th Doctor should be a bit older than the latest incumbents have been. Another choice for me would Denis Lawson a top actor.

• David Ponton

August 3rd, 2013 - 7:48pm

Well sweetie!!!!!!!!!!

• TheBritishCupOfTea

August 3rd, 2013 - 7:25pm

The reason they ratings went down was due to the early times the episodes were aired, and also the terrible scripts we got in S7.

• im no longer not going to be here

August 3rd, 2013 - 7:06pm

also the new doctor should be the guy who pkays james potter

• im no longer not going to be here

August 3rd, 2013 - 7:03pm

i just sent a question for the new doctor doctor

• the astroanout of death

August 3rd, 2013 - 7:01pm

in my eyes he is

“the other doctor”

• josh smith

August 3rd, 2013 - 5:37pm

he isnt the doctor not in my eyes

• josh smith

August 3rd, 2013 - 5:37pm

we need to get the rating up. they lost 2 million viewers in series 7b. with lots of stories only having 6 million views.
    we need a young attractive man t gain the female fans again

August 3rd, 2013 - 5:32pm

C, mon Rupert grint!

• thedaleksdeath

August 3rd, 2013 - 4:54pm

The time has came…WHO will it be….I hope Benedict Cumberbatch or the rumored Rory Kinnear..

• ROB STATE

August 3rd, 2013 - 4:42pm

Even though, i agree it needs to be an older doctor -for the eleventh regeneration- I think Peter Capaldi,who is in his 50s,would be a bit too old for the role. Which could possibly alienate a large percentage of the younger fanbase. I think an actor in his early – mid forties would be ideal.
    Here is my fantasy doctor who choices:

1. Rhys Ifans. he has the presence and the charisma to be the perfect doctor

2. Philip Glenister (imagine Gene-genie firing up the TARDIS!)

3. Andrew Lincoln. (of Teachers and Walking Dead fame)

we need someone that gives the role a bit more weight. The doctor is a Hamlet type figure, which is why David Tennant, Tom Baker and Peter Davison, were so brilliant at it. When Matt does that, he is brilliant, but ive always found the other side of his doctor, a bit cringe-making. I know he was attempting to channel Patrick Troughton’s doctor, but, he has the tendency to overplay his hand. Saying that – a job well done Matt Smith!

August 3rd, 2013 - 4:21pm

Well we don’t know that yet….that is just one theory yet to be confirmed…but what ever incarnation he is, yes – he is the Doctor. Only Moffat could come up with something so daring and clever it turns the entire backstory on its head.

• DOCTOR WHO ONE

August 3rd, 2013 - 4:02pm

All thou I recently commented my suggests for the 12th Doctor as –

Anthony Stewart Head
    Alan Davies
    Michael Shanks

There is one actor that has probably never been considered by me personally –

Ian McKellen

I was just watching a few YouTube videos this morning of other fan’s suggests for the 12th Doctor, and Ian was one of them, and I think I wouldn’t mind seeing him in the role as the Doctor. His older for one thing [74], cos it’s getting annoying with the Doctor always been played by younger actors, and I feel he played the X-Men villain Magneto brilliantly, so I feel he has Doctor potential.

And YES, Anthony Stewart Head CAN play the Doctor, read my first comment I wrote somewhere down below for my reason.

• DOCTOR WHO ONE

August 3rd, 2013 - 3:55pm

Thanks Josh Smith 😉

• Dalek the Supreme

August 3rd, 2013 - 3:06pm

I thought it would be hard for a younger man to portray such an ancient Time Lord. Then Matt Smith happened. Even still, it would be nice to take a break from younger Doctors and get someone in their 40’s.

August 3rd, 2013 - 2:58pm

Everyone, whatever species has a gender! I’m not going to become a woman! That would be- a word that I can’t use here.

• The Supreme Dalek

August 3rd, 2013 - 2:08pm

John Hurt is the Doctor. He’s 8.5 Doctor, between McGann and Eccleston.

• The Supreme Dalek

August 3rd, 2013 - 2:07pm

No no no! I don’t want the show to start having similarities to Twilight. I obviously respect your opinion, but I would prefer an actor aged 30-50. Like David Tennant. 🙂