January 30th, 2017 164 comments

Peter Capaldi to Leave Doctor Who Christmas 2017

Peter Capaldi reveals to Jo Whiley that the new series of Doctor Who will be his last.

• Tim M

February 10th, 2017 - 1:11pm

There’s a rumour doing that rounds that Danny Dyer want’s to be the next Doctor. Well…if he gets cast as the next Doctor then the series is in serious trouble of cancellation.

• Gillian

February 10th, 2017 - 4:14am

Cary Elwes for the next Doctor. Think he would be perfect. If it’s to be a woman, I think Heather Peace would be excellent.

• 12th Doctor Fan

February 9th, 2017 - 6:27pm

So agree and I’m female.

• TW

February 9th, 2017 - 3:52pm

I agree Miranda should be the next dr

• Tim M

February 9th, 2017 - 12:28pm

If Moffat was staying I’m sure the next Doctor would have been female. But I doubt it with Chibnall in charge.

• Doctorfan

February 8th, 2017 - 9:21pm

1)Eddie Redmayne (be interesting to se him and pearl, if she stays)

2)Martin Freeman (put the characters he played in Sherlock,The Hobbit and The Hitchhiker’s Guide To The Galaxy together and you have the perfect Timelord)

3)Tom Hiddleston (Probably a more darker doctor)

• American Female Fan

February 8th, 2017 - 8:06pm

Please, whoever it is, be a man.

• Antonio Zambonini

February 8th, 2017 - 6:00am

How strange that is that after christmas they apperently not showing series until 18 months/ 2 years after and they rumoned aswell that matt smith wants to return as the dr which will be highly unluckly in my opion

February 7th, 2017 - 9:58pm

No because the Doctor would be a woman and so would therefore be her grandmother until such a time that she regenerates into a man again and then he’d be her grandfather

• Tim M

February 7th, 2017 - 4:21pm

If the next Doctor is female, and she meets Susan (Foreman) again, will Susan still call her Grandfather?

• Wibbly Wobbly, Timey Wimey

February 7th, 2017 - 6:06am

1. Ben Whishaw

2. Tom Hiddleston

3. Rupert Grint (With Emma Watson as companion! That would be perfect!)

• r1ch1e

February 6th, 2017 - 8:29pm

1) Gemma Arterton
    2) Amanda Abbington
    3) Santiago Cabrera

• Sherlock Holmes

February 6th, 2017 - 6:46am

1) Tom Hiddleston
    2) Ben Wishaw
    3) Rupert Grint
    4) Sophie Turner

• DoctorWhoFan03

February 6th, 2017 - 2:11am

I couldnt agree more! Remain a man, Doctor!

• doctor who fan 11

February 5th, 2017 - 10:15pm

1) Andrew Scott
    2) Richard Ayoade
    3) Kris Marshal

• 12th Doctor Fan

February 5th, 2017 - 9:57pm

BEN Wishaw, fiest please god no Miranda Heart, Joanna Lumley.

February 5th, 2017 - 9:52pm

February 5th, 2017 - 4:41pm

1) Jason Flemyng
    2) James Nesbitt
    3) Ben Whishaw

• The Moment

February 5th, 2017 - 3:44pm

What is everyone’s top THREE picks for the Thirteenth Doctor?

Mine would be:
    1) Alexander Vlahos
    2) Tom Hughes
    3) Ben Whishaw

• J Findley

February 5th, 2017 - 12:51am

Totally in agreement with many others here . As the stories got more stupid and Clara more annoying my attention waned .Have been watching from behind the couch as a kid since the 60s , now I have my own couch to sit on 🙂 but not a good Dr Who story to get wrapped up in . Mr Capaldi gave me hope but has been let down by the dumbed down plots . Please please no more companions like Clara , who hits the Dr ? SPOILERS …., in tbe future someone might write a plot that continues the mystery ,strength ,intelligence and humour of a classic Dr Who episode without tacky Americanised TV plots and untypical behaviour . Thanks for all the years of fun and fantastic imaginings , more of the good stuff please or I am gone ….and please stay Mr Capaldi , a good script might just be a Tardis trip away .

• philip

February 4th, 2017 - 12:07pm

Dear Whovian

Ouch.. I was just trying to be generous. I couldn’t watch the shows as it wasn’t doing it for me from the actor point of view, so I couldn’t bear to hang in and did deeper and get to grips with the writing as you suggest.

Sorry to hear your comment about the lead writer.

I enjoyed watching the filming of Sea Devils where we lived in the Naval Base in Portsmouth and the gunnery range where we lived. Circa 1971..
    Saying Hi to the original Master Roger Delgado..
    Good story and good writing.

I look forward to the next phase of the story . We live in hope..

• whovian

February 4th, 2017 - 11:28am

Philip, without sounding rude, but have u actually been watchin the show with Moffat as lead writer? His stories have been abysmal and like a lot of other viewers have said, we cant wait till he leaves. He has almost ruined the series.

• Hector Sandler

February 4th, 2017 - 3:24am

Very Sad Peter Capaldi going. But next regeneration could be the Doctors last but if he lucky he might get more montelitly. His predecessor who interview for the 50th anniversary Peter Davidson says Doctor who should remain as Man. I agrees with him. But if I was actor was to be next Doctor I do it for more then 5 year like Tom Baker did. Give the TV series a lot for fun for the fans.

• The Outcast

February 4th, 2017 - 1:30am

To be fair to Moffat, I’ve always hated the romance plots that RTD introduced (well, continued). He’s an ALIEN. Not your grand-dad, not your boyfriend. Which is why I hate it when people say ‘Oh he loves (insert whoever here)’.

This is why I don’t mind a female Doctor. Especially if they get rid of all this ‘Love’ junk.

February 3rd, 2017 - 11:40pm

Rant over, don’t know where all that came from

February 3rd, 2017 - 11:40pm

I hate how we now have a good Dalek bumbling about somewhere, the doctor had a whole army of cyber men gifted to him so they’re now a friend, sontarans are now no longer a threat, the master is no longer a threat, Silurians are allies as well. I hate how Steven Moffat has dumbed down all these monsters and makes every storyline a huge ‘universe at stake’ plot rather than the kind of episodes we had with Russel T Davies. And nobody speaks like a normal person in Doctor Who anymore it feels like the whole script is written just to drum up some new quotes. I mean example A. “Where can he run?

“Where he always runs….(dramatic pause)…..away” I mean what’s all that about. Russel T Davies’ scripts felt real, especially Rose and 10 on the beach with neither not quite knowing what to say to the other. Gaaaahh I hope it improves with the new writer

• philip

February 3rd, 2017 - 4:37pm

I remember watching the very first episode of Dr Who with Hartnell in charge of the Tardis.
    Maybe I have some rights to comment after all this time as a veteran viewer who once hid behind the 60’s sofa..

We have had rich seams of Dr Who over the decades since..

I personally loved the Clara/Matt Smith Christmas Special with the Snowmen and Richard E Grant.. A terrific show..

For myself I have never warmed to the Capaldi incarnation of the Doctor. As a result I have been lost as viewer. Sorry chaps but he was not my cup of tea.

I hear that Capaldi is being given the heave-ho from the open door of the Tardis in due course. I am relieved..

Where does this long saga of the Doctor go from here?

How does it regenerate itself yet again.. but to be honest it is a saga almost too long for it’s own good or is it to be kept going like a sci-fi heritage story… too precious to let go ..

I see Ben Wishaw named as a plausible front man. Or should there be a woman? Katherine Kelly appears to be a named candidate as she is taking a striking position in CLASS. It won’t work though as she does not do enough…but we really do need a quirky male in the role.. that has always worked.. Paul McGann again.. can’t we have an older doctor reincarnated ..

Wishaw a good man if he would pick up the role without risk of worrying he will be typecast.

Moffat has done stunningly well and for that he deserves a big GONG but creative writing is not an endless process.. the creators minds will eventually diminish.. and the plot lines and stories will come to an end. Think Father Ted, IT Crowd, even The Goon Show. Everything has it’s time.. maybe… just maybe even Dr Who has had it’s time…. just for now… give it a rest until the right hunger returns..

WHO knows… tapping his nose..

Ask for Colin Baker..

• The Outcast

February 3rd, 2017 - 2:14pm

I agree with most of that. I hated Clara due to her being far to OP and while I don’t hate Missy, I feel she needs to stop being a Frienemy and do some evil e.g Search for ultimate power. And I have never understood the ‘Series 9 is a return to form/best series ever’ stuff. Only 3 stories were good UTL/BTF, FTR and Heaven Sent.