January 30th, 2017 164 comments

Peter Capaldi to Leave Doctor Who Christmas 2017

Peter Capaldi reveals to Jo Whiley that the new series of Doctor Who will be his last.

• The Living Shadow

February 16th, 2017 - 10:37am

I guess it depends on the ratings.
    If series 10 does really well, then they’ll probably air series 11 in spring too, because the last couple of series have not gotten as high rating as previous years (TV ‘live’ viewings that is) and they were also both aired in autumn, so perhaps them being aired in autumn is the reason for the lower viewing figures (we’all see after series 10).
    I doubt they’ll have a 55 year anniversary though, as it’s not really a milestone.

• Tim M

February 15th, 2017 - 11:36am

So a new Doctor will likely get a series shown in the autumn of 2018. So isn’t there a good possibility that a 55th anniversary story could be shown in November.

• Tim M

February 15th, 2017 - 11:34am

I think Kris Marshall would be excellent. I hope his name is near the top of Chibnall’s wish list.

• Lorraine Sheridan

February 14th, 2017 - 11:55pm

Aidan Turner
    Tom Hollander
    Kris Marshall
    But chances are will be a complete unknown

• Lorraine Sheridan

February 14th, 2017 - 11:44pm

Bet it is Kris Marshall cos the BBC circulate their band of actors quite tight and I believe he has just left a series. Also he has the right look and demeanour

• Lorraine Sheridan

February 14th, 2017 - 11:41pm

• Lorraine Sheridan

February 14th, 2017 - 11:28pm

One word. Agree

• Lorraine Sheridan

February 14th, 2017 - 11:24pm

Dear Philip and other contributors.

Perhaps tom Hollander of REV. I too have been watching since1963 so if I haven’t given up no one else should. This is an evolving story that with care should not end. However certain people at the BBC do not always understand this regardless of the merchandise and then it gets dumbed down and goes to sleep for a few decades. Do not let this happen

• Lorraine Sheridan

February 14th, 2017 - 11:16pm

Okay let’s continue rumours. The makers usually pick fairly unknowns as the series is expensive to make so they pick someone who appeals. Although of course I know Peter has years of experience However AIDAN Turner would be excellent. Just look at him in Being Human but he may be looking to be part of a bigger league now. Hope not because he has the emotional range to carry the role

• Lorraine Sheridan

February 14th, 2017 - 11:04pm

Has to be a man. Why is this even being talked about I am also female but you wouldn’t have a female wonder woman. Pc gone mad

• Lorraine Sheridan

February 14th, 2017 - 10:58pm

Would be a nightmare treacle. Will not happen. He may be related to kings but he will never be a time Lord. He can’t speak English so no chance with he could tackle scientific terminology. So like I say will not happen. I hope. Shame we are changing doctor so soon as really enjoying the storylines. I am so worried that they might dumb the programme down to make it safe for musicians. Loved the Sarah Jane doctor torchwood years as catered for all ages. I watched them all

• The Outcast

February 14th, 2017 - 10:39am

Just because a show is exposed to more audiences and therefore gets more views, doesn’t mean its good.

• Whorules

February 12th, 2017 - 9:58pm

Moffat is only the second showrunner in the history of who and since 2010 the show has become massively poplar in North and south American, Asia and across the world so yes, he must be doing a bad job! I genuinely give up…

February 12th, 2017 - 11:52am

I agree that we are lucky to even have the show but in truth Moffatt is unable to stick to one theme in an episode. in my opinion just because he has good ideas doesn’t mean we should stop complaining. under his direction, dw has seriously changed and not for the better. some episodes I admit have been very good but he seems to let go of his writers and let them do what they want. maybe people wouldn’t be criticising him if he actually did a good job

• Mondasian66

February 12th, 2017 - 11:00am

It’s a shame he has to leave, but we still have the Series 8 and 9 Box Sets in rememberance, still.

• Whorules

February 12th, 2017 - 11:00am

Sorry outcast, I wasn’t saying you didn’t understand, just that there was a storyline point, and yes people need to step back. It’s like those newspaper reports of the “bad guys” in soap operas being hit by people in supermarkets and the street for attacking a beloved character. At the end of the day doctor who is just a TV show and it will end again someday it’s inevitable and a lot of people don’t seem to realise that.
    Now I like Colin baker as an actor, big finish proved what a good doctor he had the potential to be, but I personally struggled with his TV stories. Not him, I just didn’t think they were very well written. Some are decent, but most just don’t work for me. But I didn’t sit in the 80’s screaming at the screen John nathan-Turner/Eric saward why do you hate Me! But you are right people just need to chill. Me and a couple of mates love to argue the pros and cons of stories but we wouldn’t dream of using the kind of language and generalisations that regularly appear online.

• The Outcast

February 12th, 2017 - 8:14am

Just cause things are explained doesn’t mean’ll like them, but I agree that sometimes people get too carried away with these things, that might have something to do with the fact that many people who watch have been fans since their childhoods. Could it be possible some people see bad stories as personal attacks? Still, some people need to bottle their anger and have polite debates rather than type swearwords words in the comments.

• Whorules

February 11th, 2017 - 7:32pm

Ok, first in response to hell bent the points made are explained in the storyline, the fact that the doctor was willing to shoot an ally and didn’t care that by saving clara he’d comdem the universe was the point of the danger of the hybrid, the gestalt that the doctor/clara became.
    But… in general I accept that people don’t like everything and that’s as it should be. There are moffat era stories I don’t rate as there are rt Davies stories I didn’t like. There are stories from every era, from hartnell through Tom baker to McCoy and beyond but my objection to some of the comments is the nasty, vicious nature of them. Personal attacks sweeping declarations and rabid responses seem now to be deemed as acceptable by some fans and it makes me ashamed to be a fan when I read hateful bile spewed out.
    I could not run doctor who, very few fans could, the reality of making television, the politics the finances the responsibility of running a huge internationally watched show are just beyond us. It’s very easy for fans to say a,b and c should happen, but a show runner on any programme doesn’t answer to the fans, they have have to run the show as they see fit and conform to rules, regulations and more importantly “bosses”!
    If a “fan” doesn’t like what is happening in any show they have a very simple choice, stop watching, because the chances are there even more “fans” out there who do like and will continue to watch. Me, I’ll continue to watch because I don’t see any difference between who from my childhood and who now. Bring on the next series and bring on the 15th doctor (yep, the real number is 15)

• 12th Doctor Fan

February 11th, 2017 - 4:28pm

I’d refuse to watch, thank god its not happening, Jason Strathdon a no no too.

• The Living Shadow

February 11th, 2017 - 1:43pm

Why do you think she’d make a good Doctor? Honestly, I’m not trying to be rude, I’m genuinely curious.

• Arendelle

February 11th, 2017 - 1:41pm

1. Alan Davies (Jonathan Creek)
    2. Rob Brydon (Gavin & Stacey).
    3. Ben Miller (Primeval).

And for top 3 females: absolutely none. The Doctor has been a male for over 50 years, keep it that way.

• The Outcast

February 11th, 2017 - 1:14pm

‘Nobody’s perfect’ – Ace, Remembrance of the Daleks.

There will always be ‘hate’ for different aspects of the show. I hate Name of the Doctor, only watched it once. I also hate Hell bent. But I have reasons for my disliking of these stories. Name of the Doctor’s Clara revelations and the fact that Jenny was randomly resurrected via a handy plot device and Hell bent had the Doctor kill someone with a gun, even though

A) He was an ally
    B) Saving Clara would kill everyone

I know he has used guns in the Classic series but only in self defence (and he felt justified when he did). Got a bit side tracked, but what I’m trying to say is that people are always going to have criticisms. Very rare are the people who hate for no reason. People only criticise to give the BBC/Production Team feed back to help them make changes to the show to improve it. If you don’t like the ‘Hate’ just ignore it or ask for the ‘Hater’s’ reasoning why.

• r1ch1e

February 11th, 2017 - 7:40am

I think it’s just that! A rumour!

• r1ch1e

February 11th, 2017 - 7:37am

I agree!! We are lucky to have this show and I think people should realise that!! However we are also very passionate about the show and our thoughts are often voiced sometimes a little too loudly! The guy on BBC breakfast last week said that Gareth Roberts coined the word ‘anticippoinment’, and it is so true. But no matter how the series goes we always have the doctor, the TARDIS and monsters and it’s so great to get that every week.

I also agree with you about Moffat. I think he has been not only a great writer and showrunner but also the most wonderful ambassador for the show. Plus he has given us Day of the Doctor ( one of the best episodes in the show history) and created the Weeping Angels and in total has written for 8 doctors. (Since 2005 that is). How many showrunners can say that. And all this while he has been juggling his Sherlock commitments! Great guy! Chibnall has some huge boots to fill!!!!

• Whorules

February 10th, 2017 - 11:05pm

Oh, and does it not occur to these “fans” that the more loudly they complain the more likely it is for the show they profess to love to be cancelled – very silly, just try to support it!

• Whorules

February 10th, 2017 - 10:59pm

Really don’t get the moffat bashing, I’ve loved his time in charge and anyway the people complaining about him will no doubt complain about chibnall as Well!

• Tim M

February 10th, 2017 - 8:40pm

I trust Chibnall to cast a decent actor to be the next Doctor, and not someone who sounds like a poor version of Ray Winston, has no vocal range, and considers facial acting to be nothing more than constantly frowning.

• LastOfTheSonics

February 10th, 2017 - 8:32pm

No way. After Cary Elwes’ role in Saw, I don’t think I could see him as hero.

• Whorules

February 10th, 2017 - 3:19pm

I’ve watched who since 1975 (five years old is when I remember the stories with clarity, I do have vague memories of pertwee but only snatches, my earliest memory is green death) and I have to say the very idea of Danny dyer fills me with horror! Which is odd because normally I’m not bothered who plays the role. I have no problem with the casting of a woman, a young, middle-aged or older person male or female but Danny dyer… luckily this will hopefully be the usual paper selling tricks from the red tops again and shame on the beeb if it isn’t!

February 10th, 2017 - 2:58pm