December 17th, 2012 64 comments

Revamped Theme Tune and Opening Title Sequence

Revamped Theme Tune and Opening Title Sequence

From The official site

Something cold, something new… Not only will we be treated to a ‘new’ TARDIS during The Snowmen (Christmas Day at 5.15pm), but the episode will premiere a revamped theme tune and opening title sequence.

We can’t give too much away about the new-look titles except to say they are wonderfully dramatic and striking, with a couple of unexpected touches. In short, they’re a perfect way to welcome back the Doctor!

And fans of the famous Doctor Who theme tune needn’t worry… This new arrangement remains true to the original, written by Ron Grainer back in 1963, but on Christmas Day you’ll hear it as it’s never sounded before. This latest version is more thrilling and powerful but retains that slightly scary quality that remains stirring no matter how many times you catch it.

To enjoy the revamped theme tune and opening title sequence, make sure you’re watching The Snowmen on BBC One, Christmas Day at 5.15pm.

• Some bloke

December 24th, 2012 - 7:07pm

I hope it’s only matt’s face, it just wouldn’t be right if clara’s was in there to. It’s ‘Doctor Who’ It should only be his face!

• apple pinapple

December 23rd, 2012 - 9:38pm

okay

• Trenzalore 64

December 23rd, 2012 - 12:48am

I agree with Zephod99, Doctorwhoone that was Harsh, everyone is entitled to there opinion.

• apple pinapple

December 22nd, 2012 - 9:33pm

i mean the images of the the doctor and clara

• doctorwhoone

December 21st, 2012 - 3:22pm

I wounder what these ‘couple of unexpected touches’ might be.

I’m guessing that they might finally bring back the use of featuring the Doctors face in the opening credits, something which has not been done since the 1987 opening titles with the 7th Doctor winking at us 😉 , and perhaps this time, instead of just featuring the Doctors face, they might also include Clara’s as well.

Merely guessing off course. I’m not sure how different anyone could make a title sequence when it comes to Doctor Who. It’s either do you chose a vortex for your titles, or chose space instead, like the starfield one from the 1980’s for Tom, Peter and Colin.

Maybe they should combine space and the time vortex together, like they did with the 1996 TV Movie intro.

• Zaphod99

December 21st, 2012 - 3:21pm

Well, Doctorwhoone, I am allowed to have an opinion….at least I don’t state it like its fact like you clearly do. Chances are if you were the owner of this site, I wouldn’t visit it.
    McGann is the Doctor…yes I remember Murray Gold saying that. lol He’s a cocky A$%hole, that guy….always has been. I can’t stand the his music, but at least it’s more in the background now…Fingers crossed!!!

• imogen

December 21st, 2012 - 1:07pm

nnnnnnnnnnnnnnoooooooooo
    the 11th docter move on dowt it hes cool.

• McGann is the Doctor

December 21st, 2012 - 10:06am

I first watched back when Rose came on, but only became a fan around the time “Planet of the Dead” aired.

I have missed only a handful of stories, and do ofcourse watch them when I get the boxset. I missed tooth and claw, the next Doctor, Amy’s Choice, the Silurian (people with green masks pass as silurians ? 😯 ) two parter and Night Terrors.

The last one I purposefully avoided because it was a Mark Gatiss episode. It looked good but I feared it would be an intelligence-insulting mess like Victory of the Daleks was, which BTW also looked good ❗

• McGann is the Doctor

December 21st, 2012 - 10:03am

I have wanted the Doctor’s face in there since David Tennant was leaving.

Was so dissapointed when I saw the new titles in the 11th Hour they STILL hadn’t made the big move 🙁

But hopefully now they will do it, because it was cool when they did it in the classic series and it would bring the sequence up a whole new level of awesomeness ! 🙂

• McGann is the Doctor

December 21st, 2012 - 10:01am

I partly agree, they get him to do EVERYTHING for the show’s soundtrack, it’s ridiculous.

The lame 2010 version of the theme tune that he made for 2010 was hammy and undynamic. He should have made something that was like a version of the theme instead of making a theme that deviated from what it is supposed to be like.

Ofcourse, in his defense he said “It’s better than the 2008 David Tennant theme.” JUST KIDDING ! He said “No one can tell me how it’s supposed to be.” Well guess what Murray ? Yes we can ! And the fact that they are now changing it to make it “like it’s supposed to be” is proof ! :p

• McGann is the Doctor

December 21st, 2012 - 9:58am

If anything, it’s because of the 50th anniversary.

And even if it WAS for the next Doctor, why would they have all these changes take place DURING Matt Smith’s time ?

I hear the new Tardis is because the old set couldn’t be moved from the old studio, the new outfit is because the Doctor is in victorian london and doesn’t want to stand out, he wants to blend in and be left alone by the start of the episode.

And the new theme music/intro is because the previous one is long overdue for a replacement ! ❗

• doctorwhoone

December 21st, 2012 - 8:20am

My god all you do is complain. If I owned this site I would have you stopped from using it 😛

• doctorwhoone

December 21st, 2012 - 8:19am

No the logo will stay the same, otherwise they would have said that a new logo was going to replace the current one we’ve had since 2010.

• doctorwhoone

December 21st, 2012 - 8:17am

I think not.

• doctorwhoone

December 21st, 2012 - 8:17am

Let’s NOT get all started.

• doctorwhoone

December 21st, 2012 - 8:16am

No, Matt Smith is not leaving any time soon, he said some time back that he will be around throughout 2013.

Might leave a year or two later thou, 2014 or 2015.

But for now, his the Doctor so let’s get all started on who will be the 12th incarnation just yet.

• NewWho2013

December 21st, 2012 - 3:55am

I think that the new intro, new theme and new Tardis console room is happening because the 12th Doctor will soon Arrive, possibly by this series End!..Spoilers…..hmm

• apple pinapple

December 20th, 2012 - 9:42pm

i think they should do it like smallville

• apple pinapple

December 20th, 2012 - 9:41pm

i believe you on that one

• dr who 1999

December 20th, 2012 - 5:19pm

will the logo be changing? if it isn’t then it will be interesting to see how they present it in the new titles

• Zaphod99

December 20th, 2012 - 4:56pm

I have my fingers crossed for this. Although I have to admit, my expectations for Murray Gold are pretty low, so I hope he can prove me wrong! When on earth will they ever replace him? I am truly sick of his music. It just doesn’t really fit with the material much of the time. He just doesn’t seem to grasp the otherwordlyness of Doctor Who.

• doctorwhoone

December 20th, 2012 - 10:50am

I think that’s the plan, keep Doctor Who looking new, but honouring the past 49 years we’ve had so far, and make the 50th Anniversary in 2013 as memorable as possible.

Steven Moffat has stated that Doctor Who will dominate television throughout 2013. I hope so, Ive had enough Eastenders, X Factor, I’m a celebrity get me out of here, The Voice, The only way is Essex and other such nonsense being shoved on my families TV screen that I can’t bare it anymore from time to time.

Pity there is no TV channel dedicated to Doctor Who. I would watch that channel and no other for good 😀

• Liason Ice

December 20th, 2012 - 7:39am

If they are making the TARDIS more “classic” then maybe the titles will be to, hopefully have the Doctors face in there somewhere

• Callum Precious

December 19th, 2012 - 6:07pm

I will keep an eye on it from Christmas Day (that’s my 5 anniversary of my Doctor Who debut since I’ve first seen in 2007)

• McGann is the Doctor

December 19th, 2012 - 12:34pm

I was so pleased and relieved to read this, although I do wish they had kept it as a surprise.

After struggling through the opening titles for THREE YEARS (it could have been WAY BETTER ,a boring bunch of clouds, a theme tune that was kinda cool but not very dynamic or creepy, lack of the Doctor’s image, not good enough to keep viewers entertained for two years) they have finally improved it.

Very glad to hear this, aslong as it’s cool, dynamic, creepy and addictive it will be ideal. Also, having the Doctor’s image 🙂

• McGann is the Doctor

December 19th, 2012 - 12:30pm

Absolutely, having the Doctor’s image/face was the best part !

• McGann is the Doctor

December 19th, 2012 - 12:29pm

True but what Moffat doesn’t seem to realise is that when the Rani was first introduced to viewers in “Mark of the Rani” she had already met the Doctor before.

There needn’t be all these references to her previous encounters with the Doctor, just bring the character back and don’t make a big fuss about “OMG it’s Rani, look people ! The Rani is back !” because casual viewers will not know who she is. Hope this makes sense ❗

• McGann is the Doctor

December 19th, 2012 - 12:26pm

I agreee about the faces.

It is the standard for all TV shows to have an appearance of the main character in some form and it was always cool when they had the Doctor’s face !

I don’t mind if it’s a starfield, a time-storm, whatever, just as long as it’s not a recoloured version of the RTD time vortex ! ❗

• John Smith

December 19th, 2012 - 8:25am

Sorry. When I said Diamond logo I meant to say diamond vortex! My bad!

• John Smith

December 19th, 2012 - 8:25am

They should bring back the diamond logo and the faces as seen in the Classic titles. The new theme tune sounds cool as I was starting to find the current one a bit… Well, dull.