November 8th, 2014 293 comments

What Did You Think of Death in Heaven?

Now that the 12th and final episode of series 8 has been aired what did you think? Was it everything you had hoped for or not what you expected…

dvd-comp2Doctor Who: Series 8 DVD/Blu-ray – BBC Shop Exclusive

Doctor Who The Complete Series 8 starring brand new Twelfth Doctor, Peter Capaldiand his trusty companion Clara, played by Jenna Coleman.

This Limited Edition BBC Shop exclusive Blu-ray or DVD set comes complete with a bright embossed TARDIS slipcase finished with silver foil and a ‘press here’ button, which when pressed plays the legendary TARDIS sound effect. The Collector’s Edition also contains 6 exclusive art cards featuring images of The Doctor and monsters from the new series.

uk-flag-small Available in the UK exclusively from www.bbcshop.com

deep-brath-newsThe Complete Series 8 DVD/Blu-ray

Doctor Who: Series 8 DVD. Available to pre-order now!

Series 8 of Doctor Who returns to UK TV screens on 23rd August, starring Peter Capaldi as the Twelfth Doctor and Jenna Coleman as Clara.

The series is set to open with a feature length episode titled “Deep Breath”.

uk-flag-small DVD or Blu-ray available to order from www.bbcshop.com

uk-flag-small Also available to order from www.amazon.co.uk

usa-flag-smallBlu-ray available to order from www.amazon.com

usa-flag-smallDVD Available to order from www.amazon.com

• the astronaut of death

November 10th, 2014 - 7:28pm

just because something has no explanation it does not mean its not true

• Ian

November 10th, 2014 - 6:19pm

SOMEBODY WHO WRITES VERY WISE WORDS!!!

• Ian

November 10th, 2014 - 6:17pm

I stick by my comments, and not afraid to write my name ‘anonymous’.

• Exterminator

November 10th, 2014 - 2:18pm

I just had a thought, Santa must be a time lord! How else does he get round the whole planet in just one night to deliver all the presents? His sleigh is a Tardis! It must be able to travel through time and be bigger on the inside to carry enough presents for every child in the world.

Is this the return of the meddling monk?

November 10th, 2014 - 1:44pm

If for a moment we discount DW forums (I think it’s a fair assumption that anyone on a forum is a fairly commited Whovian), most (by most I mean more than half) of the DW fans that I’ve spoken to face to face (both ardent fans and more casual fans) either don’t like Capaldi as the 12th Doctor, or are disappointed that he is a lot poorer than they thought he was going to be.

November 10th, 2014 - 12:41pm

Thought after NIS the latest Cybermen would now be a serious potential challenge to the Daleks but only the Daleks ended the seige of Trenzalore.Nonetheless liked the idea Missy/The Master had of their being a force to take races like that on.(Though I still don’t buy their not still having a Cyberleader/planner that would allow anyone not cyberised to be in command.)

So instead of a Time-War why not now have something like a galaxy(ies) wide Cyber-Dalek war as a story arc? While I think Flatline was the best episode I also liked Into The Dalek because we see an iconic monster slugging it out more in actual military style action.

• alexander.yang47@yahoo.com.au

November 10th, 2014 - 12:39pm

Maybe they’ll use some sort of resurrection gauntlet. Or maybe Osgood is in the nethersphere.

• Dalek The Supreme

November 10th, 2014 - 12:34pm

I think it was good. Definitely better than Dark Water, but it did have it’s problems. I like how the Doctor and Clara were handled, they were very much in character. I especially liked how the Doctor took the opportunity to rub it in Missy’s face that he was pretty much ruler of the Earth. The goodbye scene was cleverly done, and it’s fitting that they said goodbye lying to each other. I am confused about where Gallifrey is now. Didn’t they find the right universe back in The Time of the Doctor??? Well, hopefully it’ll come back soon. I was really hoping for a story arc about finding Gallifrey this season, which really is what we SHOULD have got, but no, it’s still missing, and the Doctor is only now just bothering to search for it! Anyway, Danny Pink was arguably at his best in this episode. The scene where Clara has to delete his emotions made me genuinely concerned, and though I’m not a huge fan of the character, I shed tears when he made his sacrifice. I like Missy up to a point. She was bonkers, she was homicidal, and she was a great Master. However, I do NOT like how they just got rid of her at the end. What’s the point in bringing the Master back as a woman, only to kill her off?! Still, I do think it was fitting that the Brigadier be the one to do it, and I did like his inclusion. I really liked how he was given a fitting exit, despite the fact that Nicholas Courtney is sadly passed away. Is anyone else hoping for a spin-off series with the Brigadier Cyberman, though? The Cybermen in this episode… aside from the Danny Pink scene, I did not like how they were handled at all. Their plan made sense enough, given what we saw in Nightmare in Silver, but there’s no explanation as to how the Master gained control over them. Also they can FLY now??? I don’t at all mind the detaching body parts, and I GUESS I can tolerate the super-speed, but FLYING??? Are they ripping off the Daleks now?!? Ugh…! And let the Iron Man jokes resume… Still, Osgood was fun, and I was genuinely shocked when Missy killed her. Kate Stewart didn’t do much though… Also, even though I saw the next time trailer for the Christmas special before I saw the episode, I did NOT expect Santa Claus to show up. Does anyone else remember the Eleventh Doctor showing a kid a photo of him with Santa Claus and Albert Einstein, and implying they went on guy’s nights out? Hmm… Anyway, getting back on topic, I rate the episode 6.5/10. A good overall story with many great scenes, but suffers from too many story arcs resolving themselves at once, and poor handling of the Cybermen.

• WFK DVD Collector 14

November 10th, 2014 - 9:58am

I got really choked up at the Brigadier scene aswell. I’m not really sure why people are hating on it, any of the Doctor’s companions berried on earth, would have come back as Cybermen, Sarah Jane, Amy & Rory, The Brigadier ect.

• daleksean

November 10th, 2014 - 9:31am

Am I the only one who found the brigadier scene moving and upsetting and it was a nice touch to the episode

• booboo

November 10th, 2014 - 7:58am

very small minority dont like him

November 10th, 2014 - 7:57am

I minority yes, but not a small minority.

• Gallifrey Will Rise Again

November 10th, 2014 - 3:27am

Peter capaldi is a brilliant doctor! it is only a very small minority that disagree.

• rt

November 10th, 2014 - 3:10am

Agreed!

• Davroslives

November 10th, 2014 - 1:50am

Not a bad ending, if a little twee and overly sentimental. Overall an awful season and I think time for someone new at the helm. If ever a series needed a good ‘boot up the backside’, this is one.

• Adam Webbow

November 10th, 2014 - 1:39am

So the Brigadier rose from his (presumably somewhere in Scotland btw) newly cyber-converted (though fully in control of his actions) and SOMEHOW SENSED that his daughter was falling rapidly from 20,000 feet over London, got there in time, and then dropped her off where the Doctor is. The poorest most cloying and disrespectful writing on television ever.

November 10th, 2014 - 12:49am

Ian, a good doctor dragged down by supporting cast???? A good supporting cast dragged down by a poor doctor!!!! Agree about the scripts though.

• Half-a-Whovian

November 10th, 2014 - 12:12am

What a bunch of piffle that episode was, reflecting the entire series. Davis made DW great by exploring his audience and their lives, fears and hopes now. We were watching ourselves on the screen with its references to conspiracy theories, media manipulation, xenophobia and eco-concerns. Moffet is just obsessed with bending the Doctor and his legend about as much as he can, and really no-one out-side the fanatical Whovians understand all the reference points. My friends don’t watch this with their kids on Saturday night as a treat like they did with the first 4 series.

• Exterminator

November 9th, 2014 - 11:29pm

Santa will probably bring Danny back for Christmas and it will be all mushy and lovey dovey! I hate it already.

• SC

November 9th, 2014 - 11:25pm

No she isn’t his mother. If she is then she’s kind of weird for calling her son her “Boyfriend.”

November 9th, 2014 - 10:00pm

Ok then how did Missy get to Earth if Gallifrey was still lost

• Big D

November 9th, 2014 - 9:58pm

Santa – mythical?

• CJ

November 9th, 2014 - 9:51pm

Shes not the Doctors Mother, end of!

• Gallifrey Will Rise Again

November 9th, 2014 - 9:40pm

Clara’s story isn’t done yet remember what santa said:
    “It can’t end like that. We need to get this sorted and quickly”
    “She’s not alright, you know, and neither are you. I’m coming in!”
    I knew I’d get round to you eventually, now stop gawping and tell me. What do you want for Christmas?

• Gallifrey Will Rise Again

November 9th, 2014 - 9:22pm

Having re-watched dark water/death in heaven I will go back on my previous comment that I think danny will return and agree with the other people who say clara is pregnant, the post-it notes at the beginning of dark water heavily hint at it.

I do think however that danny & Clara’s emotional scenes in death in heaven would have been more tear jerk worthy for us the viewers if we had got to know danny a bit more. But the acting from both was absolute top drawer.

Finally the cybermen were scary again. I really liked them attacking the plane and particularly when they were climbing out of the graves, it’s certainly something I won’t forget in a while.

Although we assume gallifrey wasn’t there and missy was indeed lying, we didn’t actually see what the doctor saw, but his reaction really really shocked me (which is a good thing). I’m sure it’ll be picked up in series 9 or 10 at the latest when hopefully we’ll see missy again.

Great series. Peter capaldi & jenna coleman have been superb (loved their chemistry particularly).

• Kevin

November 9th, 2014 - 9:22pm

Is Missy (The Master) dead or not is the big question!! Though the blast seems to come from the Cyberbrigadier, dont forget when she teleported from the plane, that was also a blue haze/blast so who’s to know!!!

• booboo

November 9th, 2014 - 9:17pm

the general feeling is Missy lied and there was no Gallifrey but the Doctor lied to Clara about it the same as Clara was lying about Danny – neither had what they wanted but they told each other they did to keep each other happy – quite sad really

• wizard

November 9th, 2014 - 9:12pm

i assume thats the last of clara what a poor ending for her after all she did for the doctor i thought they might have given her a better ending
    i like capaldi but still dont like moffats writing much or the stories he comes up with somethings missing …russell t is still the best

• daleksean

November 9th, 2014 - 9:11pm

so has Clara left for good? and has the doctor found Gallifrey? is Osgood dead for good? im confused the episode was brilliant but at some parts they were confusing and pointless

• brendan

November 9th, 2014 - 8:56pm

I think Clara is the doctors mother, which is why she threw herself into his time stream, as any mother would.