November 8th, 2014 293 comments

What Did You Think of Death in Heaven?

Now that the 12th and final episode of series 8 has been aired what did you think? Was it everything you had hoped for or not what you expected…

dvd-comp2Doctor Who: Series 8 DVD/Blu-ray – BBC Shop Exclusive

Doctor Who The Complete Series 8 starring brand new Twelfth Doctor, Peter Capaldiand his trusty companion Clara, played by Jenna Coleman.

This Limited Edition BBC Shop exclusive Blu-ray or DVD set comes complete with a bright embossed TARDIS slipcase finished with silver foil and a ‘press here’ button, which when pressed plays the legendary TARDIS sound effect. The Collector’s Edition also contains 6 exclusive art cards featuring images of The Doctor and monsters from the new series.

uk-flag-small Available in the UK exclusively from www.bbcshop.com

deep-brath-newsThe Complete Series 8 DVD/Blu-ray

Doctor Who: Series 8 DVD. Available to pre-order now!

Series 8 of Doctor Who returns to UK TV screens on 23rd August, starring Peter Capaldi as the Twelfth Doctor and Jenna Coleman as Clara.

The series is set to open with a feature length episode titled “Deep Breath”.

uk-flag-small DVD or Blu-ray available to order from www.bbcshop.com

uk-flag-small Also available to order from www.amazon.co.uk

usa-flag-smallBlu-ray available to order from www.amazon.com

usa-flag-smallDVD Available to order from www.amazon.com

• The TARDIS

November 9th, 2014 - 8:54pm

I loathed the finale last night. Really, really hated it. I watched it again tonight, and suddenly I love it! Okay, so I cringe a bit at “the promise of a soldier!” And I find the part with the Brig really rather… Shall we say distasteful? Plus what the doo-dah is going on with Santa Claus?! But on the whole, I really rather enjoyed it. It tied up the “am I a good man?” Satisfyingly, and gave us a wonderful Master/Missy. Although I don’t think the question of why she paired up the a Doctor and Clara was answered brilliantly, but you can’t have everything!

November 9th, 2014 - 8:34pm

People are saying that they think its weird how it was only Danny who broke through the emotional inhibitor and retained his original emotions but the Brigadier must have as well seeing as he saved Kate. If you think about it all of the other cybermen were sort of gormish after leaving their graves and so it can be suggested that there were actually loads of cybermen who managed to partly regain their emotions

• Gallifrey Will Rise Again

November 9th, 2014 - 8:29pm

I don’t think it was offensive at all to his character, I thought it was quite nicely done and a very moving final farewell to a doctor who legend. Amy & rory would have been converted too along with every other deceased person on the planet, so the brig wouldn’t have been an exception anyway.
    But without doubt these are the most depressing episodes in its 50+ year history but I think it worked very well and tied in nicely with the tone of the series.

Certain things were left unanswered but chances are they will be addressed in series 9 or 10, remember how long the silence story arc lasted.

• The Flying Shark

November 9th, 2014 - 8:25pm

I thought this episode was great, but all of the Danny stuff ruined it slightly.

• anthem68

November 9th, 2014 - 7:50pm

I agree with you, Ian. It’s a all been a very unfortunate series and I wish I could wipe it away from my memory. Yes, give me that animal-thingy that erases memory, please!

• anthem68

November 9th, 2014 - 7:40pm

Nice 😉

November 9th, 2014 - 7:32pm

lol

November 9th, 2014 - 7:22pm

I like what you did there.

• Ian

November 9th, 2014 - 7:20pm

I feel the embodiment of so many classic Who moments in the Brig – to write him off as Iron Man….. sorry Cyberman really was off in so many ways.

Meddling with his corpse to make him in to one of the Doctors villains was just so wrong. It’s difficult to explain – but if anybody really think this is not offensive, or was a good idea – then I think the show really is lost beyond all hope.

• Ian

November 9th, 2014 - 7:16pm

Absolutely.

A travesty. Good Doctor dragged down by appalling plots and supporting cast. A great opportunity missed.

• GallifreyanKnight

November 9th, 2014 - 6:25pm

No. It was very disrespectful to the memory of Nicholas Courtney.

• when i say run

November 9th, 2014 - 6:05pm

Your right it was offensive to the the brigadier’s character and to the memory of Nicholas Courtney after he made the character his own, just to have him turn into a Cyberman in a rubbish scene, in a rubbish series. Probably the worst so far. Mind you the last two episodes have been offensive in general, what with don’t cremate me, etc. If it continues at the quality of series 8, gone are the day of good doctor who.

• CJ

November 9th, 2014 - 5:31pm

Missy is 100% the Master whether you like it or not

• the astronaut of death

November 9th, 2014 - 5:21pm

Ian please could

you explain why

because I didn’t see it In that way I saw it as remembering him this episode was mainly about the dead so I think it was a lovely little touch

November 9th, 2014 - 5:13pm

I completely agree. It was a disrespect to the actor to just take him away as a throwaway bit of the story. The actor had an excellent send off in Battlefield and it was very depressing hearing of his death in The Wedding Of River Song (perhaps, the best scene in the entirety of Series 6).

November 9th, 2014 - 5:10pm

The problem with this story is that it completely focuses on Danny and Clara. It shouldn’t have and even if it focused on Missy (Who I refuse to call the Master because it is basically the Rani) it wouldn’t be great either. I would adore it if Series 9 wasn’t about the companions or about petty story arcs and instead about telling a proper story and have it make sense as well. The best story of the season was Mummy On The Orient Express and is probably the most popular too. Yes, and that story wasn’t about the companion sobbing or having a meaningless dilemma and continuity references 24:7. Make more stories like that…

• Dalek Smith

November 9th, 2014 - 4:59pm

Also the cybermen were wasted, seb was wasted and too many things were left unanswered.

• Dalek Smith

November 9th, 2014 - 4:56pm

That was very disappointing and the Brigadier scene was just offensive to the character and all his fans.
    4/10

• Obsie

November 9th, 2014 - 4:49pm

One you cannot judge, I meant.

• Obsie

November 9th, 2014 - 4:44pm

Nicholas Courtney died of cancer, a long illness which is not exactly a predictable one. There were times he could have been well enough to appear in the Sarah Jane Adventures. However, cancer is one you can judge from one day to the next, nor the treatment. Trust me, I know.

• CJ

November 9th, 2014 - 4:40pm

lol, imagine The Cyber-Legion vs the Iron Legion! that be cool

• CJ

November 9th, 2014 - 4:37pm

He appeared in the Sarah Jane Adventures

• Obsie

November 9th, 2014 - 4:34pm

It should be pointed out that Nicholas Courtney was rather ill when the new series started back in 2005. So I doubt very much that he had “the chance to”.

• CJ

November 9th, 2014 - 4:34pm

true

• CJ

November 9th, 2014 - 4:15pm

Yet she could of the Zygon version who was killed

• DOCTOR WHO ONE

November 9th, 2014 - 4:14pm

I disagree. He never actually appeared in the new series when he had the chance too, so to have his character appear in the new series, even if he was resurrected as a Cyberman, was better then just being given the same old excuse of “Oh, the Brigadier is stuck in Geneva’.

November 9th, 2014 - 3:59pm

Well to carry on with Chiefdaleking’s theme S.H.I.E.L.D has (or had) it’s”Sandbox”:a secure facility for holding dangerous individuals with superpowers and banned technologies (some of it alien) which was used to bring agent Phil Coulson back to life.

In DOTD we learned that UNIT had it’s “Dark Vault” (or whatever) containing alien technologies that even the Doctor wasn’t supposed to know about.So maybe they could use something in that to bring back someone even from ashes just killed or have something like a backup of her engrams to go into a rapidly grown clone.

That or there’s the old she has a twin sister with the same skill set ploy.

• martin kelly

November 9th, 2014 - 3:58pm

clara is not gone, she is confirmed for the christmas special. that will be her last episode. the best ever companion. did everybody miss the epilog last night when the doctor was on his own in the tardis and a knock comes on the door and a voice says , it cant end like this, she,s not righr and your not right. then santa comes into the tardis and says to the doctor what do you want for christmas.

• Ian

November 9th, 2014 - 3:56pm

This was an insult to the memory of Nicholas Courtney.

Terrible, and disrespectful!

• DOCTOR WHO ONE

November 9th, 2014 - 3:39pm

No explanation was given.

NOT – THE – MASTER 😛