December 5th, 2015 208 comments

What Did You Think of The Series 9 Final Hell Bent?

Now that the highly anticipated series 9 final has been aired what did you think? Was it everything you had hoped for or not what you expected.

missy-banner-4#

• whorules

December 6th, 2015 - 10:57am

i enjoyed it. love the idea that the doctor’s son or daughter was lord president!

• starshipalaska

December 6th, 2015 - 10:53am

I completely agree. Moffat was just relying on us screaming at how awesome Gallifrey was for the entire episode to cover up the fact that there was no actual plot. And it worked. For, as you say, maybe the first 15-20 minutes or something. But then it became clear: there was no threat in any way. What did the Time Lords were terrified of this Hybrid, all of the cloister bells ringing yada yada, but literally nothing materialised, what was there to be afraid of exactly…the Doctor and Clara are the Hybrid and they create chaos in their wake…. or something?? The entire hour was the Doctor bluffing to keep Clara alive with nothing threatening them. You can tell the producers were worried about this, so they got Moffat to write that whole 30 second sequence in the Matrix with the Angels and Daleks etc just to inject a bit thrill, just like in the Time of the Doctor when the weeping angels were in the snow and the scenes serves the plot in no way.

• starshipalaska

December 6th, 2015 - 10:47am

I know right, so many plotholes. They explicitly stated that Gallifrey was in a “pocket universe” after the Day of the Doctor. The ENTIRE PLOT of the Time of the Doctor was the Time Lords trying to communicate with our universe through the Crack in time, how the hell are they now here, how did the Sisterhood of Karn just walk in, have they always known that Gallifrey was now somehow in our universe, why haven’t they told the Doctor – all such lazy writing, such a lack of continuity on Moffat’s part, he wrote the 50th and the Time of the Doctor as well!!!

• Sid Rat

December 6th, 2015 - 10:24am

I have to agree. I’m a big Clara fan, and I think she’s been a brilliant companion, but I think her storylines have been overdone and done to death. She was essential last series, but this series could have seen her off gracefully, not clumsily like it ended up. And what a waste of a return to Gallifrey, that promised so much more.

• Tim M

December 6th, 2015 - 9:22am

Here is MY Top 9 series finale stories…since 2005.

1) ‘Bad Wolf’ / ‘The Parting of the Ways’ 10/10
    2) ‘The Stolen Earth’ / ‘Journey’s End’ 10/10
    3) ‘The Name of the Doctor’ 10/10
    4) ‘The Pandorica Opens’ / ‘The Big Bang’ 9/10
    5) ‘Army of Ghosts’ / ‘Doomsday’ 8/10
    6) ‘The Wedding of River Song’ 7/10
    7) ‘Heaven Sent’ / ‘Hell Bent’ 6/10
    8) ‘Utopia’ / ‘The Sound of Drums’ / ‘Last of the Time Lords’ 6/10
    9) ‘Dark Water’ / ‘Death in Heaven’ 5/10

• Jason [Doctor Who One] from Deviant Art

December 6th, 2015 - 7:10am

Very VERY disappointed that Gallifrey was not freed from the parallel pocket universe to end this series . . . . or is is free ?? . . . . I don’t know . . . . the Doctor said to Davros early in series 9 that Gallifrey is back in the sky and is safe, but I assumed he was lying about that [rule 1: the Doctor lies], but if Gallifrey actually is back in the real universe, then how, when and where is it ?.

Not pleased with the War General regenerating into a woman. That’s gonna make fan’s who want a female Doctor so badly more irritating then ever [Cheer’s Moffat 😛 ]

Only positive things I can say about this last episode of series 9 is I’m pleased Clara was given the chance to live in the end, even if it seems she herself is now immortal too and stuck with blooming irritating Ashildr, but hey, at least she gets to travel in a fully functioning Tardis of her own with a nice copy of the original 1st Doctor’s 1963 console room, so I can’t complain about that.

I swear thou that Peter Capaldi once said that his cameo from ‘The Day of the Doctor’ was going to be seen in this episode. Guess he must have lied, probably persuaded by Moffat to do so.

• Terry Nutkins

December 6th, 2015 - 6:52am

Spoilt by more Clara drivel.

• Alex Who?

December 6th, 2015 - 3:34am

Awesome way to conclude series 9! A better finale than last year.

And the Doctor got rid of the stupid sonic glasses too.

• Al

December 6th, 2015 - 3:24am

Incredible. Moffat knocked it out of the park and has opened the door to years of Clara/Ashildr spinoffs too. I was worried but I needn’t have been.

• mick181

December 6th, 2015 - 2:30am

Isn’t Jenna Coleman tied up with another TV series, playing a young Queen Victoria i believe and Maise Williams is tied up with Game of Thrones. So cant see a spin off anytime soon. A one of appearance on Dr Who yes i can.

• Matt B

December 6th, 2015 - 1:42am

Loved the ending and neatly pulled together the Clara ending. PC great acting and best series finale for a while.

• A

December 6th, 2015 - 12:41am

If the Hybrid stands in the ruins of Gallifrey then it could be Me or the Doctor as I think they are in the ruins of the cloister at the end of time. However, the Doctor may well have broken a billion hearts to mend his own by eventually turning on his people, even to the point of murder. It seems many on Gallifrey considered him the hero of the time war & they may feel more than a little let down.
    Forgetting Clara was probably the best for the Doctor & the universe. For all that she saved him as the impossible girl his reliance on her was obviously somewhat destructive. I’m keen to see how & why this Doctor will choose to travel with another companion. He’s not very good at making friends & two potential companions from series 8 have been ruled out in this series(Rigsy has a child to raise & Osgood has a peace to keep). Hopefully it’ll be someone new.
    I have mixed feelings about this series. Two parters are all well and good but I’m not sure I liked virtually the whole series being in that format. I was a little disconcerted by the Doctor’s efforts to be more socially acceptable yet it was quite fun at times. The build up to Gallifrey felt, at the close,a little underused but was interesting while it lasted. I even missed the ever changing hair of PC from last year, especially Flatline!
    So now we have spent two years under the shadow of Clara’s departure, hopefully next year there will be more focus on the Doctor and the stories.

• Lord President Rassilon

December 6th, 2015 - 12:38am

Way, way back in January when they were filming in Tenerife, they posted a picture of Peter C. with some stone-looking red eyed monster! Where the hell was that in this series!!!

• skaroman

December 6th, 2015 - 12:36am

The first 45 minutes of this episode were superb,

and then suddenly it suffered Moffat-Syndrome.

But Christmas special looks funny!

• Olga

December 6th, 2015 - 12:08am

Clara and Ashildr?! What?! I don’t really like that idea. She was the Doctor’s impossible girl and now she is… a zombie? And travells with Ashildr? That’s pretty sad that the Doctor doesn’t remember her. I understand the pain he felt when she was dead but I’m not sure if forgetting her is any better. I’m slightly confused.

• ThemadDalek

December 6th, 2015 - 12:04am

Can someone explain what that was about…?

• Mutley45

December 5th, 2015 - 11:44pm

People Will Be Shipping Clara And Ashildr Fan Fiction Together.

• WFK DVD Collector 15

December 5th, 2015 - 11:12pm

Terrible.

• Simon W

December 5th, 2015 - 11:09pm

Good episode, Loved the dinner seen been in it last year they have a pic of the old cast in it. Love the new look Sonic. Hope the xmas 1 is going to be a good 1.

• The Silent Silent

December 5th, 2015 - 10:59pm

AMAZING EPISODE !!! FANTASTIC FINALE TO THE SERIES

WAS EXPECTING THE 10TH DOCTOR SOMEWHERE THIS SERIES ????

HERE’S TO THE CHRISTMAS SPECIAL !

• koloth

December 5th, 2015 - 10:55pm

No. Easy pass. I didn’t like Ashildr, and while Claras senseless death was averted it was a wasted opportunity.

• chris57

December 5th, 2015 - 10:50pm

I have really enjoyed this series and especially the last two. very sad to lose Clara and the excellent Jenna Coleman and I dont feel her death was drawn out atall.

• Button

December 5th, 2015 - 10:40pm

I personally saw this finale as the end of a chapter that has been almost a decade in the making. Since the start Doctor Who up until now has been about Gallifrey or things related to it, and now that Gallifrey is saved “So to Speak” it has finally closed the Time War and opened a new direction for Doctor who to take.

In some ways this is a fitting end to this story arch, there is no need for gallifrey to return for a good while and the time war can finally be forgotten. I have had mixed feelings about the series for the past few years, but regardless I am happy that after ten years Doctor Who can move onto something bigger and better.

You could even say that New Who is redundant when describing the series.

• Doyouhearthem?

December 5th, 2015 - 10:31pm

Michael Pickwoad and Ray Holman. Murray Gold, Steven Moffat, Maisie Williams and Peter Capaldi. Jenna Coleman. We have so many amazing people to be thankful for.

• RORY DOCTOR RIVER POND

December 5th, 2015 - 10:27pm

I really think there was no point in it

• The Temporal Jelly Baby

December 5th, 2015 - 10:23pm

Sadly, I cannot help but agree. Hoping for a really good Christmas special to make up for it.

• 47

December 5th, 2015 - 10:22pm

Hmmmm…………. My over riding thought is ‘why another Clara is the centre of the universe story?’ The Clara Who line was terrible, and I have seen enough comments on here from people complaining it has been ‘The Clara Who Show’. All the things that irritate me were on display in this episode, the after-mentioned Clara (or any of Moffat’s companions) is centre of the universe stuff, these prophecies that keep occurring – I seem to remember a blue head in a box having prophecy over the Doctor – awful – and Moffat’s Doctor has to be the best or biggest with this time going to the edge of the universe and cracking time to save Clara- or whatever (!) The whole Hybrid storyline became a damp squib told through a vehicle of a now pointless ‘Me’ character, just to set up The Doctor/Clara “love in” at the centre of the universe and to serve her exit….To be cynical. Clara’s “exit” was done rather well, I thought, in ‘Face The Raven’ and has now been cheated.(Wonder why the Doctor didn’t do all this for Adric (!?) ) Oh well, I was really looking forward to seeing the drama between Rassilon and The Doctor, even The Sisters of Karn, also exploring Gallifrey, and felt all these were under used after an excellent set-up. The Commander was great, didn’t like the way the Doctor gunned him down, was that really necessary, and felt the regenerated character – and some of the support were as wooden as, an 80’s set, or any other rubbish comedy line akin to those Moffat drops in from time to time……. . Because I didn’t appreciate the episode, it’s not to say the there was not qualities in the acting, the direction, sets and costumes, even the writing, quite the contrary, however, if you don’t like gin, don’t sip it from a tea cup. (to paraphrase a song. )

• Jacqueline Auld

December 5th, 2015 - 10:18pm

I really respect Peter Capaldi as an actor so I think it must be the the script writers who need to regenerate. This latest series has been truly abysmal. I have only watched to the end out of loyalty.

• NigelM

December 5th, 2015 - 10:16pm

A confusing mess like most of the second half of this series. Very disappointing.

• JellyBaby100

December 5th, 2015 - 10:05pm

An astonishing combination of Spectacle over Plot *and* dullness. Seriously I have no idea how it was achieved.
    Overall, I’m not angry, I’m just dissapointed. Which is much, much worse.