August 30th, 2014 100 comments

What Did You Think of Into The dalek?

Now that the second episode of series 8 has been aired what did you think? Was it everything you had hoped for or not what you expected…

A Dalek fleet surrounds a lone rebel ship, and only the Doctor can help them now… with the Doctor facing his greatest enemy, he needs Clara by his side.

Confronted with a decision that could change the Daleks forever he is forced to examine his conscience. Will he find the answer to the question, am I a good man?

rusty-tDoctor Who: Hello Rusty T-Shirt

Exclusive t-shirt only available at BBC Shop.

The Hello Rusty tee has been exclusively designed with the second episode of Series 8 in mind.

uk-flag-small Available exclusively from the bbc shop

dvd-comp2Doctor Who: Series 8 DVD/Blu-ray – BBC Shop Exclusive

Doctor Who The Complete Series 8 starring brand new Twelfth Doctor, Peter Capaldiand his trusty companion Clara, played by Jenna Coleman.

This Limited Edition BBC Shop exclusive Blu-ray or DVD set comes complete with a bright embossed TARDIS slipcase finished with silver foil and a ‘press here’ button, which when pressed plays the legendary TARDIS sound effect. The Collector’s Edition also contains 6 exclusive art cards featuring images of The Doctor and monsters from the new series.

uk-flag-small Available in the UK exclusively from www.bbcshop.com

deep-brath-newsThe Complete Series 8 DVD/Blu-ray

Doctor Who: Series 8 DVD. Available to pre-order now!

Series 8 of Doctor Who returns to UK TV screens on 23rd August, starring Peter Capaldi as the Twelfth Doctor and Jenna Coleman as Clara.

The series is set to open with a feature length episode titled “Deep Breath”.

uk-flag-small DVD or Blu-ray available to order from www.bbcshop.com

uk-flag-small Also available to order from www.amazon.co.uk

usa-flag-smallBlu-ray available to order from www.amazon.com

usa-flag-smallDVD Available to order from www.amazon.com

• AJW

September 1st, 2014 - 1:00am

I agree. A very good ep with good characterization, and interesting teasers with Mr Pink etc, but why have the political anti-soldier comments? Not needed, doesn’t add to the story and following the lesbian kiss, is risking alienating viewers.

• Exterminator

September 1st, 2014 - 12:33am

They even used the Borg’s catchphrase “Resistance is futile!”

• Exterminator

September 1st, 2014 - 12:29am

I really like the look of the paradigm Daleks, but I agree they need to explain where they are now in relation to the Dalek fleet.

I’d love to see what Davros would make of the paradigm Daleks. Maybe they could use them again when and if Davros returns?

August 31st, 2014 - 11:34pm

There is no point saying their the officer class unless we see the officers like the red warriors/yellow eternals doing things(e.g leading the bronzes in battle.)

It would at the very least have made sense if the bridge of the Dalek ship had been staffed (or mostly staffed) by Daleks in Paradigm casings with a white Supreme in overall command.

• Dalek Supreme

August 31st, 2014 - 10:51pm

You know, I wish that they would give us a real, developed reason for the Paradigm Daleks not being around really. Ok, I know people don’t like them. They’re alright, but could be better. They’re just doing pandering fan service so they don’t lose viewers. ‘Oh, so they’re an Officer class now? Fine, cool. so why don’t we see them bossing Bronze Daleks around now?’

I know the Bronze Daleks do look better overall compared to the New Paradigm ones, but they have one major flaw: Height. When designed back around 2004/2005, they were made to be Billie Piper’s height, so they would see eyes-to-eyestalk. But, Billie Piper isn’t very tall, so now they look *tiny* compared to everyone else, so don’t look so threatening.

August 31st, 2014 - 9:45pm

I don’t know if it was just me who noticed this, but the voices of the daleks seem to be more broken up like those of the classic era all of the daleks except for rusty that is

August 31st, 2014 - 9:28pm

LOL! “Rusty!”The fastest Dalek gunslinger in the West!

• Alpha Rusty The Dalek

August 31st, 2014 - 8:39pm

Having just re-watched this, I was able to properly enjoy it, and it really was a fantastic ep!
    Best Dalek story in a while, one of the best since 2005 – they were shown to be a true threat and actually killed people again!
    And Capaldi is fast tracked to being my fave Doctor ever!
    (He’s already one of my faves)

• WhoCrossoverAnimator

August 31st, 2014 - 8:26pm

I also liked the Dalek yelling “Death to the Daleks”, as not only it gave the chance for Dalek on Dalek battle action but it also made me grin, I was even resisting the urge to say “Looks like someone really likes Jon Pertwee’s era” just because it sounded like it was yelling the title of the 1974 Dalek Serial.

• WhoCrossoverAnimator

August 31st, 2014 - 8:13pm

I found this story really enjoyable, when the first teasers came out I expected Davros like most fans, but after learning the synopsis from the RT I was interested, I mean it was an interesting perspective into the anatomy of one of the most memorable baddies in Sci Fi history, I feel that going into the villain had that effect to increase that “behind the sofa” factor that Doctor Who has always been famous for with both ourselves and our parents.

• 47

August 31st, 2014 - 5:09pm

I wasn’t quite sure that it was necessary for the Episode to be completely “anti-soldier” as it was, and certainly the quips made by Clara towards Mr.Pink (character name far more suited to Reservoir Dogs) were tasteless. Regardless of the writers views, this kind of statement in in a family show, should be far more subtle and balanced, present all sides and points of view, and don’t lead the viewer around by the nose….maybe it kinda tried, didn’t work with me,though…..The plot was good, I liked the story, borrowed from Classic sci-fi, and perhaps a bit of TNG “I Borg” episode and future storyline ? Peter Capaldi and his version is a vast improvement from how the previous Doctor was asked to be portrayed. Can we just leave out the comedy banter, its pointless and awful, I don’t find it funny, it justs detracts from the drama. Overall, I did enjoy ‘Into The Dalek’ though.

• Hannah

August 31st, 2014 - 2:49pm

I agree completely. I feel past incarnations of the doctor wouldn’t take advantage of Ross’ trust and kill him.
    The doctor I know was a good man and I have no idea how he turned out to be so.. I could almost say cruel.
    He could have at least told Ross that he was gonna die and there was nothing to do about it.. How could he take advantage of ross’ trust!!

• Dalek The Supreme

August 31st, 2014 - 2:12pm

No, it’s just dirt/dust/ash, like the Daleks in the Asylum in Asylum of the Daleks.

• CG

August 31st, 2014 - 2:06pm

I’m interested with the Missy storyline but it felt a little interupting putting it slap bang in the middle there. Superb episode, had my whole family watching. Awesome, Awesome, Awesome!!!!

• 100,000BC

August 31st, 2014 - 1:22pm

Loved it! Especially the clever bit at the end where the Doctor refuses to take the girl with him because she is a soldier, thus making Clara realise that he won’t approve of Danny. Peter Capaldi is amazing as the new Doctor – can’t wait for next week and Robin Hood!

• KORSAIR

August 31st, 2014 - 1:17pm

Honestly I preferred the scenes set in the school more than the main storyline. I am liking the Capaldi Doctor though he seems to be staying away from the cute huggy type and I like his colder edge.

• ZygonTerror

August 31st, 2014 - 1:00pm

I am probably being a bit biased as Christopher Eccleston is probably what I would consider to be ‘MY’ Doctor (with Jon Pertwee probably being my favourite Doctor all the same) but for me personally I think that since BadWolf/TPotW, there hasn’t been a better dalek story.

A typical statement, but I think Genesis is probably my favourite dalek story closely followed by all of the ninth doctor dalek stories.

This episode was a nice dalek story but I just feel that for the revived series, the series one finale will take some beating for a dalek story. At the time it left me wondering what would happen, and is probably the story that made me a regular Doctor Who viewer/fan.

• Big D

August 31st, 2014 - 12:35pm

A vast improvement on Deep Breath. Still a tad too much ’emotion’ going on for me BUT it seems to be moving in the right direction.
    Blatant rip-off of Fantastic Voyage crossed with Dalek but still.
    I like Peter Capaldis Doctor so far. I just hope they stick with it. He has an edge to him, an unpredictability that I like.
    Lets also hope that the keep the screwdriver to a minimum.

• Daniel

August 31st, 2014 - 11:45am

Rusty seemed to look more iron than bronze in the last scene there. Or that may be wishful thinking on my part. I miss the classic grey livery. Anyway it will be interesting if we have a recurring character in this Dalek.

• the ergon

August 31st, 2014 - 11:44am

It was fine. Theres usually on average at least 2 instant classics per series and whyll I,ve enjoyed the first two, I,m still waiting for those capaldi standouts. Zawe ashton who plays vod in fresh meat would have got my vote as the 1st woman doctor if shed have played it in that same vein, now shes an almost companion. One question about this missy. Why is she selecting leesser characters for this heavenly place?. This obviously this seasons story arc, I,n intrigued why? any theories?

• mat581

August 31st, 2014 - 11:38am

Terrible confusing episode. At least he should have taken the soldier on board.

• Harold Saxon

August 31st, 2014 - 11:23am

This episode was brilliant! I loved the trip into the dalek mixed with bits at coal hill school, good pace too, gripping and loved the music!

• DALEKSKITTLES

August 31st, 2014 - 9:17am

8+half/10 🙂
    My favourite dalek episode so far! Effects could have been better and little less talking at the beginning but overall a great episode!!
    If you hear rusty says he’s going back to the ship “he has unfinished work” I think he’s going to kill the ship. I reckon this episode will have a big knock on effect if the daleks! Could spark a civil war? Loved it!

• Nelsonator

August 31st, 2014 - 9:03am

Well, this is just brilliant, I mean, I was expecting Davros to return but this is even better, a Dalek that wants revenge and fights for good without missing a single shot at every dalek.

he’s a bit like either a special weapons dalek but with faster movement and more firing

this is definently a 10/10 from me, well done “Rusty” old boy.

• TheExtremeBlueTARDIS

August 31st, 2014 - 9:02am

I really loved this episode, one of my all time favourite stories featuring the Daleks. The Daleks finally seemed scary again, something that everybody felt was missing in recent episodes of Dalek stories. We’re finally introduced to Danny Pink, and that Missy story arc just gets more intriguing as it goes! I still overall prefered Deep Breath, but this episode was still fantastic. 9/10

• Justyn

August 31st, 2014 - 8:59am

My Missy theory is she is the woman in the shop who gave Clara the phone number that went through to 11th Doctor’s Tardis in Bells of Saint Johns.

• Dalek The Supreme

August 31st, 2014 - 3:43am

The Eleventh Doctor was full of eccentricity and energy to cover 1000 years of pain and guilt, which is why the Eleventh Doctor was my favorite, but the Twelfth Doctor, like any good Doctor, has to be different from his immediate predecessor. I like how he’s a darker, less emotional Doctor who’s so mysterious even he isn’t sure if he’s good or not. So far he’s shaping up to be a very good Doctor.

• Dalek The Supreme

August 31st, 2014 - 3:39am

For me, it’s the best Dalek episode since Victory of the Daleks (not counting The Pandorica Opens/The Big Bang), and the second best of the New Series (after Dalek).

• Dalek The Supreme

August 31st, 2014 - 3:36am

I think, unfortunately the New Dalek Paradigm have been retired. It would have been nice to see them in action, and have them using the rear-hatch weapons, or elaborating on the purpose of the Eternal Dalek, but I assume that, since they haven’t appeared since Asylum of the Daleks, that they were either erased from time, or they were all on the mother-ship that was destroyed by the Eleventh Doctor’s regeneration.

• Dalek The Supreme

August 31st, 2014 - 3:19am

Okay, how did I like our trip Into The Dalek? IT WAS AWFUL! IT WAS TERRIBLE! I SAID THEY SHOULD HAVE USED THE PARADIGM DALEKS AGAIN, BUT THEY DIDN’T! WE SHOULD HAVE SEEN THE REAR HATCH WEAPONS AND THE ETERNAL DALEK! BUT NO! STILL THE SAME BRONZE DALEKS! THEY RUINED THE DALEKS FOREVER!

Not buying it, huh? Okay, here’s what I REALLY thought of the episode. It was great. There were some minor faults (the aforementioned absence of the New Paradigm and the fact that radiation, which birthed the Daleks in the first place, was harming it), but as a whole, it was a very solid episode. The insight into the Doctor’s character, the introduction of Danny Pink, the conflict about whether a good Dalek could exist or not, and the sets were all great. Not to mention, the Daleks were actually killing people again! 😀 9/10. VERY well earned 9/10.