September 19th, 2015 215 comments

What Did You Think of The Magician’s Apprentice?

Now that the highly anticipated first episode of series 9 has been aired what did you think? Was it everything you had hoped for or not what you expected.

Where is the Doctor? When the skies of Earth are frozen by a mysterious alien force, Clara needs her friend. But where is the Doctor, and what is he hiding from?

As past deeds come back to haunt him, old enemies will come face-to-face, and for the Doctor and Clara survival seems impossible…

Doctor Who Series 9 Part 1 DVD and Blu-ray

Peter Capaldi returns as the Doctor alongside Jenna Coleman with guest stars including Maisie Williams and Rufus Hound as well as the brilliant Missy (played by Michelle Gomez).

Part 1 contains the first three two-part stories plus 3 exclusive mini-documentaries on how each two-parter was created.

EXTRAS
3 x Doctor Who Extras (behind the scenes)

uk-flag-small Available to order on DVD or Blu-ray in the UK from www.bbcshop.com or www.amazon.co.uk

usa-flag-small Available to order in the USA from www.amazon.com

• Anoymonus

September 21st, 2015 - 9:11pm

Missy might of teleported (like you know in death of heaven). But with Clara. I wonder how she’ll come back. (Because Missy said “this might be the day I kill you” to clara)

ps also you guys. Do you think the 12th doctor will actually kill the young boy davros out of the loss of his friends (Because he was holding and dalek egg whisk and about to exterminate) but then remember in the doctor’s daughter. You could believe the 10th could of killed genral cobb out of the loss of jenny but he didn’t because of his stance against violence

• The Rise Of Skaro

September 21st, 2015 - 8:43pm

Personally, best episode from capaldi so far, anyone agree?

• TheBoyWhoCame,SawandRan

September 21st, 2015 - 4:12pm

I cant get over one thing. Last year some people stated their opinions of not liking Peter as the Doctor and when they said that, many people had a go at them. I was “trolled” myself. Yet this series, a lot of the people who had a go are now saying they didnt like various parts of the episode.

Amazing how the tables turn isn’t it?

I for one enjoyed the episode: the Doctor seems to be more relaxed now, Clara can hold her own and Missy, even though she is a villain, is quite funny at times.

Although, even though shes a bad Time Lady, i wasnt too keen on her killing a family man.

One thing i would point out is that the character of Kate Stewart deaperatly needs to have a slight bit more comedy in her lines. Shes a more wooden character then the wooden king and queen.

• Rufus

September 21st, 2015 - 2:11pm

forgive my sins,for if Missy and Clara passed on then so be it but not the TARDIS….and I got a bad feeling, unless the whole series is a quest to find the TARDIS.

September 21st, 2015 - 11:41am

And theres also how well it goes down in the rest of the world and Online/DVD/Blu-Ray sales.

September 21st, 2015 - 10:21am

Each to their own but personally give me Missy over the dreaded River Song anytime.

• booboo

September 21st, 2015 - 9:02am

I Love Missy as a Character, but not as the Master, if she had turned out to be the Rani it would have been perfect

• The Temporal Jelly Baby

September 21st, 2015 - 9:02am

Aw, that’s a shame. I thought Missy was fantastic! Well, people have different opinions. What don’t you like about her?

• The Temporal Jelly Baby

September 21st, 2015 - 9:00am

The tank and guitar scene was actually the best scene for a couple of people I know. Honestly, while it wasn’t quite my favourite scene, I thought it was pretty good too. I understand that silliness can be over done in Doctor Who (the golden arrow in Robot of Sherwood), but I reckon that bit of silliness actually worked. After all, I did laugh and smile – always a good sign. 🙂

• KORSAIR

September 21st, 2015 - 9:00am

An improvement on many of last years episodes but I can’t warm to the Missy character she still grates on my nerves, was nice to see Davros back though.

• Obsie

September 21st, 2015 - 8:46am

Like many, I watched it again to check minor details. However, the one thing that irks me so much is the guitar scene. It was an utterly superfluous “comedy” one that should have really been left for the DVD releases.

• DOCTOR WHO ONE

September 21st, 2015 - 7:05am

Oops, sorry guys yeah series 4, ment to press the space bar between 4 and 7 !! 😀

• CJ

September 21st, 2015 - 6:37am

Totally agree!

September 21st, 2015 - 5:00am

Great episode. I have been hoping for many years that Davros Lives. Imagine if the Doctor actually does kill the child Davros; he could prevent the Time War, and save so many lives. In the end, it’s a similar debate to the ‘Genesis of the Daleks’, when Tom Baker had the chance to destroy the Daleks, but couldn’t, because of all the alliances that were made because of the fear of the Daleks, and all the things that might be unravelled. However, if The Doctor does decide to kill Davros as a child with a Dalek weapon, that’s a paradox, because Davros would not have lived to create the Daleks at all, and therefore he couldn’t have used the weapon. So much Wibbly Wobbly, Timey Wimey stuff in Doctor Who. Still, great series opener; had a very Jon Pertwee style Dalek/Master story vibe.

• MaxP

September 21st, 2015 - 12:23am

I just love the fact that in a slimy bar in the farthest, darkest corner of the universe they’re listening to Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds!

• Gordon

September 20th, 2015 - 11:26pm

The way viewers watch things have changed massively. Overnight figures mean nothing plus having X factor and rugby as competition is another reason. It still was the most watched show on bbc yesterday. 6.8 million watched deep breath overnight but the final figure was 10.76 million viewers when everything was taken Into account. That’s almost a 4 million gap between watching it live and time shift/I player. Another example flatline 4.6 million viewers but once the live plus 7 figures was taken into account it got 7.8 million. It’s not just doctor who. X factor has dropped 2 million and eastenders regularly gets under 5 million on overnights. It got 4.7 million on Friday. It’s obvious that overnights means nothing in 2015.

September 20th, 2015 - 11:23pm

An essential part of the Who universe owned at least in part by the Terry Nation estate which means the BBC cant just use them willy nilly.Especially when merchandising deals and profit shares are also involved.

September 20th, 2015 - 11:01pm

Good, go away. After what you just wrote, you should be the last person I hear complaints of not being coherent from.

• Sid Rat

September 20th, 2015 - 10:53pm

I took me a while to warm to Peter Capaldi last series and I am now getting used to him. I quite enjoyed last night’s episode and it was a pleasure to see Davros again – I wasn’t expecting that.

September 20th, 2015 - 10:12pm

I feel like missy and Clara had teleports all along and were planning on being ‘exterminated’ because it’s not in Clara’s nature to just randomly try and run from a room of Daleks, she’s not thick

• Who’sGoneWrong??

September 20th, 2015 - 9:32pm

O.M.G.!!!!!!! Seems that I’m not alone in thinking the series with Capaldi/Moffatt at the helm has badly lost it’s way and credibility…… Just seen the viewing figures for the launch episode….. ONLY 4.6 MILLION bothered to tune in!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Thought 6.8 Million last series was bad enuff!!!! Like I said earlier, ” The Magician’s Apprentice” ( Still think it’ s a stoopid title ) had enough plot-holes, continuity gaffes, bland acting, and mind-numbing holes in the script to turn even an avid fan off!!!! Missy’s now his best friend…Eh??? The Doctor’s gonna kill a child…Eh??? We’ll send Snakehead to search for the Doctor – even tho we’ve already sent a Dalek/Human hybrid disguised as a barbarian to do battle with him while he uses a Guitar and Tank to ‘hide’ and be inconspicuous….. Double EH???? Davros has (somehow) survived David Tennant’s Doctor…( just make your own theory up folks….who cares anymore….even the producers can’t be bothered to explain how……) Any way you cut it, the bottom line is that we deserve BETTER and the series is in TROUBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Even with catch-up viewers etc the figures are DIRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• dan23uk

September 20th, 2015 - 9:03pm

This episode is set after the last time you saw him. because you can see/hear- David Tennant’s doctor in this scene.

September 20th, 2015 - 8:51pm

Accidently airing a trailer for episode 2 does kind of make it a bit obvious, especially as it shows Davros was in the story.

September 20th, 2015 - 8:49pm

U mean s4 7years a go?

• 100,000BC

September 20th, 2015 - 8:39pm

I WANT ONE!

• dan23uk

September 20th, 2015 - 8:37pm

Missy said she needed 8 snipers 3 for each heart & 2 for brainstem. Does this mean she has 3 hearts? The doctor has only 2.

• Tardis’nt

September 20th, 2015 - 8:31pm

Ha ha that’s funny! And slightly creepy actually… 😆

September 20th, 2015 - 8:18pm

Anyone find it weird Davros has got a switch on his control panel specifically for listening to old Doctor Who quotes :mrgreen: