September 19th, 2015 215 comments

What Did You Think of The Magician’s Apprentice?

Now that the highly anticipated first episode of series 9 has been aired what did you think? Was it everything you had hoped for or not what you expected.

Where is the Doctor? When the skies of Earth are frozen by a mysterious alien force, Clara needs her friend. But where is the Doctor, and what is he hiding from?

As past deeds come back to haunt him, old enemies will come face-to-face, and for the Doctor and Clara survival seems impossible…

Doctor Who Series 9 Part 1 DVD and Blu-ray

Peter Capaldi returns as the Doctor alongside Jenna Coleman with guest stars including Maisie Williams and Rufus Hound as well as the brilliant Missy (played by Michelle Gomez).

Part 1 contains the first three two-part stories plus 3 exclusive mini-documentaries on how each two-parter was created.

EXTRAS
3 x Doctor Who Extras (behind the scenes)

uk-flag-small Available to order on DVD or Blu-ray in the UK from www.bbcshop.com or www.amazon.co.uk

usa-flag-small Available to order in the USA from www.amazon.com

• Peking Homunculus

September 25th, 2015 - 8:08am

Weight gain, for one thing. Otherwise yeah, Terry Molloy is the definitive Davros, even more than Michael Wisher even though he was the first.

• Peking Homunculus

September 25th, 2015 - 8:05am

The Daleks and Davros aren’t exactly working together, at least not completely.

• DOCTOR WHO ONE

September 24th, 2015 - 5:02pm

I don’t really watch them on YouTube these days, but I wonder if Steven Moffat watch’s the so called ‘Doctor Who Figure Adventures’, because the idea of seeing Davros back on Skaro in the original Dalek city with classic and new series Daleks alike is something I feel one would normally expect to see on a YouTube video using Doctor Who figures !! 😀

The current title sequence was inspired by a terrific fan made title sequence, who’s to say that one fan’s intro has not been the only video on YouTube to influence the show 🙂

Cos let’s face it, sometimes it’s we, the fan’s of the show, who always come up with the best idea more then the people who actually make Doctor Who 😀

• yognot

September 24th, 2015 - 4:19pm

Thanks. I haven’t seen any of the SJA episodes so I had no clue what they were.

• Plydoc

September 24th, 2015 - 3:16pm

That was amazing,the story ,acting ,effects and one of the best doctors in my opinion.hope the rest if the series carrys on to this high standard.just be nice to have a explanation how all these daleks from different time periods are there,but if they don’t I’ll just put it down to timey wimey

• the ergon

September 24th, 2015 - 9:54am

I wish they hadn,t revealed him as a snake. They should have saved that idea for a good mara story.

• DalekKHAAANNNN

September 23rd, 2015 - 10:28pm

I absolutely loved this episode but it is shame that my brother has started bashing all of Steven Moffat’s work just because of a YouTube Channel called “mrtardisreviews”
    I have nothing against the guy and has some very good points but I think that he is putting way too much thought into some of the gripes that he has with the episodes

• DOCTOR WHO ONE

September 23rd, 2015 - 4:10pm

Skullion’s are originally from ‘The Sarah Jane Adventures’ story ‘The Man Who Never Was’.

They are dressed like Monks, have bald heads, one large eye and have a wide nose.

• yognot

September 23rd, 2015 - 3:40pm

What are the Skullions again? I have no clue what they look like so I didn’t even know they were there.

• Sid Rat

September 23rd, 2015 - 12:12pm

I spent most of the last series feeling disappointed (with a few exceptions), and a lot of it was the fact that I don’t like Peter Capaldi as the doctor (nothing against the man / the actor, just didn’t and don’t think it’s the best match up). As well as that, I was disappointed with a lot (not all) of the episodes from last series. I am getting used to Peter Capaldi as the Doctor however, and have to say that this episode was much better and much more enjoyable. I like Missy, and the fact that Clara is still his companion helps too, although I’ll be disappointed when she leaves. I read a lot of comments last series and since Saturday, and realise that it’s just opinions. Some will always like what someone else dislikes and vice versa. I think the important thing as that we keep posting and discussing. We might not always like, but we still keep watching.

• anon

September 23rd, 2015 - 12:01am

No it isnt. That would make great series.

September 22nd, 2015 - 10:02pm

I hate peter capaldi new costume:-(

September 22nd, 2015 - 9:59pm

Missy ood blowfish sycorax skullions daleks judoon hath and most importantly DAVROS!!!! Loads of old monsters returned just awesome.

I home they do a 3.75 davros and ood

• doctor who fan 11

September 22nd, 2015 - 8:46pm

medieval mans name was Bors see the meditation of the doctor

September 22nd, 2015 - 7:59pm

Ok I apologize just watched again and I’m guessing the snake must have done something when it wrapped itself around his neck…that’s good enough for me

September 22nd, 2015 - 7:56pm

I loved the Daleks in this episode they were ruthless and put me on edge something I haven’t felt from a Dalek episode since the stolen earth and journey’s end. The only thing that I think was bad about the episode was the fact that the guitar scene went on for too long and I wish there was in extra scene just a one second scene where colony Sarf injected something or fired a poisoned dart at least at the Medievel man (forgot his name) to explain how he suddenly turned into a Dalek puppet because this sort of defeats the object of colony sarf if the daleks knew where the doctor was anyway

• Dalek the Supreme

September 22nd, 2015 - 7:37pm

Wouldn’t call it the best, but it’s definitely up there.

• Rufus

September 22nd, 2015 - 7:29pm

Maybe Clara is dead and the whole series is back to front

• 12th Doctor Fan

September 22nd, 2015 - 6:54pm

God no that’s the worst scenerio ever.

• the astronaut of death

September 22nd, 2015 - 3:41pm

there only the over night figures…..those don’t matter anymore

• Doctordredd67

September 22nd, 2015 - 10:29am

I don’t believe the ratings are as low as they say. 4:6 million???? There’s no way the fix factor beat the doctor!

• Tardis’nt

September 22nd, 2015 - 8:01am

I have to disagree, he was great as the classic Davros, but Julian Bleach was amazing in series 4, and this one too!

• Lily of the Valley

September 22nd, 2015 - 7:03am

This Ep. was amazing! it wasn’t what I had expected but that cliff-hanger at the end was great.

• collector

September 22nd, 2015 - 5:19am

I have read the sypnosis for The Girl Who Died and cant wait to see it! This is the day the Doctor remembers where he’s seen his face before. Plus we have the mysterious Ashildr and the Highwayman in The Woman Who Lived.

Not really looking forward to Sleep No More though as its “found footage”. And from what i can tell with Face The Raven, the Doctor, Clara and Rigsy investigate a strert of sorts, but not all of them survive so i am going to say that this is the story of how Clara Oswald dies/leaves the Doctor/ moves on with her life.

And i hope so much that when River Song returns in the Christmas episode, that she FINALLY gets to be in a full series as the official companion. So looking forward to hearing hello sweetie and spoilers.

• WetMogwai

September 22nd, 2015 - 3:35am

Last season was nearly perfect, yet this was one of the best episodes in ages. That said, this is an episode for the fans. It is not one I would put on the short list of episodes to show to someone just getting into Doctor Who. This is an episode for the long time fans who know something of the history of the Daleks and the Doctor’s relationship with Davros and the Master/Missy.

• MaxP

September 22nd, 2015 - 2:03am

Is there a reason why Terry Molloy isn’t playing Davros? He’s so much better!

September 21st, 2015 - 11:29pm

Maybe the doctor is the magician Clara is his apprentice, missy could be classed as the magician, Clara is her apprentice, Davros could be classed as the magician and colony sarf was his apprentice I have no idea

• Anoymonus

September 21st, 2015 - 9:20pm

Anyone know why the episode was called Magican’s Apprentice?

• Anoymonus

September 21st, 2015 - 9:16pm

Well we know clara is coming back somehow (From the trailers) as for missy she could of done the same thing as in death of heaven?

• Anoymonus

September 21st, 2015 - 9:14pm

Also how will the doctor get back to the past or future or earth without a tardis. Unless he builds another one somehow.