December 25th, 2017 251 comments

What did You Think of Twice Upon a Time?

Now that the 12th Doctors final episode has been aired what did you think? Was it everything you had hoped for or not what you expected.

The magical final chapter of the Twelfth Doctor’s (Peter Capaldi) journey sees the Time Lord team up with his former self, the first ever Doctor (David Bradley – Harry Potter, Game of Thrones) and a returning Bill Potts (Pearl Mackie), for one last adventure.

Two Doctors stranded in an Arctic snowscape, refusing to face regeneration. Enchanted glass people, stealing their victims from frozen time. And a World War One captain destined to die on the battlefield, but taken from the trenches to play his part in the Doctor’s story.

An uplifting new tale about the power of hope in humanity’s darkest hours, Twice Upon A Time marks the end of an era. But as the Doctor must face his past to decide his future, his journey is only just beginning…

Doctor Who Twice Upon a Time 2017 Christmas special DVD and Blu-ray

Available to order in the UK from www.amazon.co.uk

Available to order in the USA from www.amazon.com

Extras Include…

• Doctor Who Extra
  • The End Of An Era
  • Doctor Who Panel San Diego Comic-Con 2017

December 27th, 2017 - 9:46am

I think Moffat should’ve taken inspiration from classic regeneration episodes because so far, in my opinion, the last good one we’ve had was Caves Of Androzani.

December 27th, 2017 - 9:18am

Funny you should say that T.A because Teresa May has actually spoken about the Doctor being female and she went on to say that Bond should be female now also?
    This proves the point that many of the changes we see in popular culture is definitely are being forced, it is becoming the expected outcome.
    What about a radical new way of thinking like creating all new female characters? A new female Time Lord, Bond like spy? Too much to ask I suppose, it would mean thinking about it.

December 27th, 2017 - 9:17am

The death of doctor who happened a long time ago right around the time Matt Smith started to bark when talking to an alien in the rings of akhaten. Since then there’s been a sprinkling of passable episodes here and there but nothing at all spectacular

December 27th, 2017 - 9:07am

It’s not a negative outlook really, you, me and many others are worried about the future of the show. It was an unnecessary and drastic change that could cause a lot of damage to it’s long term future.

• T.A

December 27th, 2017 - 1:29am

I know it’s sad Doctor who has to change its gender to stay with the times, hey do think we should also changes James Bond to stay with the times.

• TARDISDWDALEK

December 27th, 2017 - 12:04am

Pretty apt and appropriate. I completely agree with the order you’ve put that in as well as everything on the list – especially with Moffat leaving as the top one! Like you said, i’m not for a female doctor since it messes with the whole concept of doctor who. There has always been time lady’s and time lords yet new writers and producers of the show have seemed to have completely forgotten that instead re-writing the rules of the doctor who universe. Yet I hope that despite the change to a woman (not that i’m against feminism, I am a female myself) I will be proved wrong. I wasn’t that impressed at her opening lines and found it quite funny how after the regeneration the TARDIS almost seemed to try and through her out (in disgust maybe?). Anyway, I hope things do get better with Chibnall in the lead and Jodie as the Doctor though I highly doubt it. Every season seems progressively worse but I guess you cannot complain as long as the show keeps going. Hope the new season has some coherent story lines that make sense and characters that aren’t too ridiculous or cringe – inducing to ruin the show even more. (sorry for my negative outlook).

• Caolanmccoy

December 27th, 2017 - 12:02am

John Simm needs to come back for a regeneration

• T.A

December 26th, 2017 - 10:24pm

I meant in other shows, and chibnalls episodes are normally in the bottom of most people’s season episode ranking and is it just me that it’s werid he is now shown runner, even though his last episode was in 2012.

December 26th, 2017 - 9:49pm

The last 2 minutes were ok.

• Tk

December 26th, 2017 - 8:34pm

I have,watched,this,show from the beginning and through many changes. Some good others in the gray area. But the formula was always respected. I do not think a regeneration into a woman is holding to that. And I am a woman but I think this is over the line and,will most likely stop my viewing for now

• nygel Harrot

December 26th, 2017 - 7:41pm

Well… as regenerations go … it was no tenth planet…war games….planet of the spiders…. but i shan’t go on….
    I’m sure if you add ALL the regenerations scenes together it would still be five minutes short of the twelfth doctors end speech!!!

It all felt like a children in need ten minute segment.

4 out of ten (David Bradley was fantastic)

• Tyler Prescott

December 26th, 2017 - 7:02pm

I feel the same, but not for the same reason. I have no issue whatsoever with Jodie Whittaker, or a female Doctor, but that scene just felt rushed and cheap. The FX weren’t great, and the whole crashing thing seemed to be shoehorned in, just because most previous Doctors have crashed their TARDISes after regenerating.

• Tyler Prescott

December 26th, 2017 - 6:59pm

I would have also liked to have seen the First Doctor fall over or something. It seemed a little odd for him to be standing up, then when the camera returns, he is lying down, with out any sort of collapse.

December 26th, 2017 - 5:12pm

I can’t wait, that’s why I loved RTD because his characters were so real, with families and lives that were not forgotten outside of whizzing around space

• Tim M

December 26th, 2017 - 4:55pm

Twice Upon A Time is really just a tacked on episode at the end of series 10. It’s only really playing for time, as an excuse to extend the avoidance of regeneration. Which is at the heart of the story. Clearly the un PC 1st Doctor was used more for laughs in the episode. This was played up much more than it ever was in the Hartnell era. But I couldn’t fault Bradley’s performance. He made for a very adequate version of the First Doctor. Whilst I greatly enjoyed this story (10/10), I do feel a lot of general viewers would have been put off by the opening scenes though. Not only is it boxed in black and white, it proceeds to say “previously, 709 episodes ago”…Which I feel would immediately make viewers think this is for the fans only, and what potentially awaits is a story which is heavily connected to events over 50 years ago! Surely that would be the first impressions of several viewers, who may have then switched over or switched off.

• Tyler Prescott

December 26th, 2017 - 4:39pm

I think his acting works well, but his voice is conveyed so differently to Hartnell’s he doesn’t sound much like him.

• Tyler Prescott

December 26th, 2017 - 4:32pm

I don’t like the fact that the entire story is unnecessary. It ends exactly as it started, with no differences. The first Doctor regenerates, the twelfth Doctor regenerates, and the Captain doesn’t die.

• The Temporal Jelly Baby

December 26th, 2017 - 4:08pm

Overall, I thought the episode was pretty good. The plot seemed a bit muddled with the whole Testimony thing but had some nice moments throughout and I thought the last 10 or 15 minutes with the Christmas truce were exceptional.

David Bradley did an admirable job as the 1st Doctor in my opinion. I thought the script slightly overdid the whole non-PC thing but that doesn’t mean that David Bradley himself didn’t do a great job. Also, as per usual, Peter Capaldi was brilliant.

Bringing back Rusty was certainly unexpected. Out of all the plot threads left hanging, it just seems like a weird decision to bring back Rusty unless Chris Chibnall asked Moffat to include that to build up something for series 11. The Doctor could’ve found out more about Testimony from any large database so it just seems a bit odd. Not that I mind knowing what happened to Rusty, but it wasn’t a plot thread that left me awake at night.

Murray Gold’s soundtrack was of course spectacular and it was pleasing to hear a few old favourites. My only criticism would be that the placement of certain pieces seemed a bit random and not especially well thought out. I’m glad that Peter Capaldi’s regeneration speech had the Heaven Sent music though. Speaking of which, I think it was a very good speech yet didn’t quite live up to Matt Smith’s “I will always remember when the Doctor was me” speech which I love. I think Peter Capaldi’s speech was quite appropriate though. Not only did it emphasise the theme of being ‘kind’ that was also present in the speech to Missy and The Master in The Doctor Falls but it actually helps to set up the next (somewhat controversial) incarnation: if Jodie’s Doctor is never cruel nor cowardly and always kind and so on then who is to say she isn’t the Doctor?

Now, the episode was clearly written for fans. The scene with Rusty is indicative of that. And, while that’s not a major issue for a big fan like myself, I do feel that a Christmas special should appeal to a wider audience and let in the casual viewer.

As for Jodie Whittaker’s scene, well, I can hardly judge a new incarnation after two words. I certainly enjoyed the scene though! I have hope for series 11.

Score: 8/10.

• T.A

December 26th, 2017 - 2:52pm

At my first viewing I found it boring, my second viewing I enjoyed it much more, but there is a lot of stuff I don’t still like.

• T.A

December 26th, 2017 - 2:50pm

In my opinion they need to stop destroying the tardis because of the Doctor, it worked with Tennant to Matt, because that was the first time it happened, but know it’s just silly.

• Caroline Foster

December 26th, 2017 - 2:49pm

Well said.

• Caroline Foster

December 26th, 2017 - 2:48pm

I seem to be in the minority here, but I thought the episode was boring. I am not a fan of changing the gender of the Doctor, but I am hopeful that the team can use this to reinvigorate the show and get back to having a Doctor I like, with that special dash of charisma that makes him(her) so beloved to all of us.

• When The Doctor Was Me

December 26th, 2017 - 1:41pm

Thoughly enjoyed that! Watched a second time this morning and my judement is little changed. Maybe the constant use of sexist remarks from the 1st doctor was going to far in places for some, but I found it funny because it was done light heartedly.
    Bills return was good because it means she dead and gone, and she was there as a memory.
    Bradley did very well, and I loved that the change in ratio to merge the two was used in the episode and not just the trailer.
    The plot was far more character led, than big bad, but i liked that. I felt it reflected 12 more, as for me he’s at his best when hes not running around all silly and saving the world like a superhero. But instead using logic and thinking before taking action. Rusty was a nice touch but it could have been anything in that tower. The xmas day football match was beautiful and i really loved how the doctors just stood a rejoiced the peace before going there seperate ways and moving on.
    Capaldi himself was stellar!! I loved every part of his performance. His final moments were good. And for a moment i thought his last words were going to be what i imagined (doctor, be a good man) but i was really happy with Doctor, I let you go. It was so heartfelt and reflected Capaldis feelings aswell as the doctors himself.

As for Jodies first moments. Very atmospheric. Very nicely shot, but I just wish her casting was kept under wraps. As the way it was done could have made for a hue revelation! The POV, the ring falling off the finger, the glimpes of her face in the screen and time rotor. And i’m really happy she had actually words that make sense. And not something to do with her body like previous new who regens.

Overall a very simple, but heartfelt xmas story. Maybe a little underwhelming for a regen story, but i think that played to its strengths.

Thank you Capaldi, you’ve done yourself proud.

• Ash

December 26th, 2017 - 12:36pm

The Armistice scene absolutely made it for me and got me a bit teary too – a beautiful scene. I’m not Clara’s biggest fan but it made sense to see her here; great to see Nardole alongside the Doctor and Bill too though. Capaldi’s final moments were perhaps a little bit rambly, but I can appreciate it. I’ve loved his Doctor and he really hit his peak this year. Also, I remembered his comments earlier in the year about children being able to hear his name and I thought it was quite a nice touch to include it here. Loved Jodie’s first scene – the ring falling off was a gorgeous touch – but I’m glad we’ve got a while to wait actually. Rushing into a bold new era isn’t the best idea: let’s wait patiently, hope for the best, and see how it goes when the time comes. It’s very exciting though!

• THE ERGON

December 26th, 2017 - 12:32pm

Maybe not the !st doctor but dear william Hartnell might have made a few gaffes.

• Tim M

December 26th, 2017 - 12:29pm

Without doubt, Steven Moffat has been one of the shows greatest writers. My main issue with his story telling, has been his often inability to write a straight forward story. With a beginning, middle and end…and in THAT order! Plus (certainly during the Capaldi era) stories peaking at a high point too soon, leaving the series finale being somewhat underwhelming. Heaven Sent and Hell Bent are a good example, as is World Enough and Time followed by The Doctor Falls. It feels like the build up is the wrong way round. Moffat has had a tendency to build things up too high, and too often the resolution hasn’t quite fulfilled it’s potential.

• The Outcast

December 26th, 2017 - 12:20pm

Well, apparently Chibnall is good at doing character stuff, so your wish might well have been granted.

• Exterminator

December 26th, 2017 - 12:14pm

Great review 47.

December 26th, 2017 - 11:45am

I’m also glad moffatt has gone and yes he’s given us some good episodes but a sprinkle here and there isn’t really good enough when you’re supposed to be running the show. I’m seeing series 11 as a reboot, new writer, new music, new doctor. I think many people just despise the new doctor for their own reasons and whatever but some people are probably worried about how we haven’t had a change like this since Tennant and RTD left so it’s a lot to get used to. But I was always going to give her a chance for me we’ve had RTD (and I miss him terribly), we’ve had Moffat and now here comes Chibnall. I also liked Jodie’s first words, they weren’t over the top or misplaced they were simple. Even if she did then fall out of the TARDIS. I hope there’s a reason the TARDIS did that, for example, she’d never seen the doctor regenerate into a woman before and so immediately turned hostile or something like that. I imagine series 11 will just begin with her unconscious on earth somehow and yes I’m going off on a tangent for some reason

December 26th, 2017 - 10:57am

As some of you will know I’m not happy with the drastic change of direction this show has taken in recent years, I’m going to struggle with Jodie as the Doctor but after watching Capaldi’s swan song again this morning I have decided to look at the positives rather than the negatives of what is to come.
    1, Moffat has gone.
    2, Jodie is from just over the hill from me in Huddersfield, I live in the Bradford district and we share the same accent.
    3, Clara has also gone.
    4, Doctor Who is still on air, I remember the dark days of the cancellation.
    5, I still have the cassic episodes to watch.
    6, I love Doctor Who and will give Jodie the chance to prove me wrong, I don’t dislike her personally it’s the changes in the 50 years of lore that I struggle with.
    7, Hopefully Chibnall can explain the relationship between the Doctors lost wife and children now he is female (I can’t get my head around this) and if the Doctor meets Susan again will she call the Doctor grandma?