December 25th, 2017 251 comments

What did You Think of Twice Upon a Time?

Now that the 12th Doctors final episode has been aired what did you think? Was it everything you had hoped for or not what you expected.

The magical final chapter of the Twelfth Doctor’s (Peter Capaldi) journey sees the Time Lord team up with his former self, the first ever Doctor (David Bradley – Harry Potter, Game of Thrones) and a returning Bill Potts (Pearl Mackie), for one last adventure.

Two Doctors stranded in an Arctic snowscape, refusing to face regeneration. Enchanted glass people, stealing their victims from frozen time. And a World War One captain destined to die on the battlefield, but taken from the trenches to play his part in the Doctor’s story.

An uplifting new tale about the power of hope in humanity’s darkest hours, Twice Upon A Time marks the end of an era. But as the Doctor must face his past to decide his future, his journey is only just beginning…

Doctor Who Twice Upon a Time 2017 Christmas special DVD and Blu-ray

Available to order in the UK from www.amazon.co.uk

Available to order in the USA from www.amazon.com

Extras Include…

• Doctor Who Extra
  • The End Of An Era
  • Doctor Who Panel San Diego Comic-Con 2017

December 28th, 2017 - 12:58am

You could maybe imagine Bond being captured by Blofeld and facing the prospect of forced gender altering surgery and being turned into Jane Bond but then that would no longer be in any meaningful sense Bond which is what we still fear is the case with Who.
    May’s comment is beyond nonsense.

• Adam

December 27th, 2017 - 11:50pm

I agree in part…but the same could be said for most of ‘new who’…there’s been just as many over the top grandiose speeches and dud episodes in the RTD era as well..
    Changing the gender of the Doctor after 54 years is a whole different ball game though and is the final nail in the coffin for many fans including myself…

• Mick C

December 27th, 2017 - 11:39pm

James is a Male name, I’ve never meet a Female named James, so it automatically screams Male. Wonder ” Woman” is Female, Super “Man”, Bat “Man” are Males by definition.
    Doctor is completely and totally Gender Neutral so they are poor comparisons to use.
    James Bond 007 should always be Male. If they want to do a movie with Jane Bond 008 working alongside her Brother, fine.

• Adam

December 27th, 2017 - 11:34pm

With the gender fluid nonsense now part of Who lore…Susan has probably changed gender as well and is now called Sean..or maybe it’s Shep…

• Adam

December 27th, 2017 - 11:15pm

Changing the Doctor’s gender is not going to reinvigorate the show…but only alienate and split the fans…which it’s already doing…and that’s not a great starting point. Good writing,originality and characterization is all that’s needed…
    The show needs to get back to basics…get rid of all that ‘mythology’ and ‘fan service’ that’s bogged it down under most of the Moffat era…

• Adam

December 27th, 2017 - 10:38pm

Absolutely!…a true classic in every sense of the word..

• 12th Doctor Fan

December 27th, 2017 - 10:37pm

I’m female too not happy but if the scripts improve I’ll keep watching.

• Adam

December 27th, 2017 - 10:34pm

As long as the Broccoli’s are in charge of the Bond franchise a gender change of the character ain’t ever going to happen…not ever. Unfortunately the same can’t be said for our beloved Doctor…
    Oh and Teresa may is one to talk…she’ll be soon ‘Regenderating’ back into a bloke..

December 27th, 2017 - 10:33pm

Oh I see why that could have triggered it seeing how I originally spelt it :mrgreen:

• T.A

December 27th, 2017 - 7:23pm

If he turns that just proves people point on everything becoming too pc.

December 27th, 2017 - 7:05pm

Did you know the PM Teresa May has said James Bond should be female now that we have the first female Doctor?
    So it looks like the agenda to change all things dear to us continues, I would be surprised by Bond changing gender but you never know in this universe!

• T.A

December 27th, 2017 - 6:28pm

I also agree with some of the things you say. In my opinion the many problem is the pc motivated things they have been saying during episodes such as hell bent, the Doctor falls and more, also with characters such as bill.

• booboo

December 27th, 2017 - 6:18pm

no it was one of those innocent things with key words we have to have (the word was Decam)

December 27th, 2017 - 6:11pm

Oh sorry XD hope I didn’t accidentally swear

• booboo

December 27th, 2017 - 6:08pm

the way you spelt one word blocked it i have changed it now

December 27th, 2017 - 5:39pm

Where’s my comment go did it go through?

• T.A

December 27th, 2017 - 5:19pm

In my opinion, people always think it’s about the gender, but in my opinion it’s about the pc propaganda their saying in the episodes such as hell bent, the husbands of river song, the return of doctor mysterio, the doctor falls and more, even with characters such as bill only to please a certain audience, who probably don’t take up 30% of the people watching.

• R1ch1e

December 27th, 2017 - 5:18pm

Agreed. A bonefide Doctor Who classic

• The Temporal Jelly Baby

December 27th, 2017 - 5:17pm

I’d like to comment a bit more on the female Doctor debate. I know it’s been debated to death already, but I still want to say a few more things.

First of all, I personally see no issues with contradicting previously established lore/canon. The complaint here is that the Doctor has always had a male body before and, until recently in the history of the show, there had been no real indication that Time Lords can change gender. My response to this is that, while it had not been explicitly stated that Time Lords can change gender until recently, the randomness of regeneration has been stated several times before. For example, the 9th Doctor:

“I might never make sense again! I might have two heads, or no head. Imagine me with no head, ha! And don’t say that’s an improvement… But it’s a bit dodgy, this process. You never know what you’re going to end up with.”

Therefore it really takes no stretch of the imagination to think that the Doctor could change gender and I believe no previously established lore has been contradicted. However, suggesting that gender is fluid for Time Lords would contradict some lore, but note how even for the General in Hell Bent every other body had been female – that was her only male body.

The change of gender can be explained through the random process of regeneration.

The second thing I’d like to address is the ‘PC agenda’. This criticism is about the motives behind the casting of a woman. The general claim is that Jodie Whittaker was cast not as a good choice for the character but actually in order to pander to the feminists and social justice warriors who want more female representation on screen.

Now, I know that Chris Chibnall was specifically looking for a woman though I actually doubt that ‘pandering to feminists’ is the main motive. I don’t deny that feminist thought may have played a part but I doubt that it is the primary reason for the decision. My theory is that it was done for a change – the show was getting a little stale for some viewers and this is a somewhat radical change to sort of freshen it up again. It’s a risk, but largely depending on the writing and initial promotion for series 11 one that may just pay off. But even if it was done for more female representation, that’s not a terrible thing, is it? There are still plenty of male role models on screen. And remember, the casting has been limited only to men for 50 years so the casting only being for women this time doesn’t suggest anything about Jodie’s ability to play the Doctor.

Finally, I’d like to address the idea that the Doctor is a male character just like James Bond is male and Wonder Woman is female. The fundamental difference here is that neither James Bond nor Wonder Woman are Time Lords that change their biology when they die. I think that sorts that one.

Now, I do agree with Peter Davison that those who disagree with the casting and are uneasy with the change shouldn’t just be cast out as sexists and bigots. I suspect it helps that I was also once against a female Doctor before I rethought my position. “It might be more helpful to be encouraging, and not simply scornful, of fans who are uncertain about change.”

With that in mind, I’m perfectly happy to see and reply to any thoughts and/or rebuttals regarding the above but let’s keep it nice. We’re allowed opinions.

December 27th, 2017 - 4:52pm

Er, the reason behind rusty was explained in the episode into the dalek. The dalek was damaged It was very clearly explained.

• Tim M

December 27th, 2017 - 4:14pm

The Doctor’s ability to have a female form has seemingly only been possible with his new set of regenerations, which the Doctor acquired in ‘Time of the Doctor’. Otherwise it makes no sense that the Doctor hasn’t been female before. The Doctor seemingly didn’t have the ability to change gender in it’s first set of 12 regenerations.

December 27th, 2017 - 3:49pm

Ah yes we keep forgetting we have to be happy with all the forced changes. We must stop having our own ideas and thank the BBC and it’s puppet writers for giving us such……….?

December 27th, 2017 - 3:44pm

The Caves Of Androzani, now that is a classic.

• The one who monsters have nightmares about

December 27th, 2017 - 3:11pm

Personally I liked it a lot.
    It was obvious who the Captain was but having watched since the beginning one has to acknowledge that there are only so many ways to introduce plot elements.
    I look forward to the new series.

• When The Doctor Was Me

December 27th, 2017 - 1:27pm

I’ve been thinking the last 2 days, the episode ended with a TBC at the end. Imagine if they decided to do a one off debut feature on new years day and then series 11 airs later in the year! I would have loved that!
    Also with this era now well and truly over it would be nice to have the new logo reveal over the next week or so to mark a new year and new look show!

December 27th, 2017 - 12:20pm

On a rewatch there are actually some really beautiful bits in this episode, especially the music in the scene leading up to and during the 1st doctors regeneration. The bad wolf theme, singing towers, vale decam, doomsday. A nice tribute to Murray Gold. The music proabaly saved the episode for me because there are some tear jerking bits amongst the bad acting and clunky dialogue (‘I’ve got invisible hair’) and Jodie’s first scene was quite well done

• T.A

December 27th, 2017 - 11:25am

The fans like us are being called not true fans or worse for having ideas against the show.

• nygel Harrot

December 27th, 2017 - 9:53am

Its ok Caroline… You’re not on your own…also, out here in the real world at least 15 people who i know (who are not fan fans but still enjoyed watching) did not have have the energy to even give the xmas special (or the last half of last season) a go. They got fed up.

December 27th, 2017 - 9:52am

I don’t like Rusty. His can you have good Dalek. Davros created them without emotions. Though if it’s like the Cybermen who could feel pride from the classic series than I understand.

December 27th, 2017 - 9:48am