What Did You Think of The Day of the Doctor?

What Did You Think of The Day of the Doctor?

The Doctors embark on their greatest adventure in this 50th anniversary special.

In 2013, something terrible is awakening in London’s National Gallery; in 1562, a murderous plot is afoot in Elizabethan England; and somewhere in space an ancient battle reaches its devastating conclusion. All of reality is at stake as the Doctor’s own dangerous past comes back to haunt him.

Day of The Doctor DVD and Blu-rays

Day of the Doctor Starring Matt Smith, David Tennant, Jenna Coleman with Billie Piper and John Hurt.

day-doctor-twin

The DVD is available to order from www.amazon.co.uk or www.bbcshop.com

The Blu-ray is available from www.bbcshop.com or www.amazon.co.uk

Doctor Who the Day of The Doctor Merchandise

Celebrate the 50th anniversary of Doctor Who with these great mugs, t shirts, travel pass holders and prints featuring the 10th and 11th Doctors and the mysterious Doctor played by John Hurt!

Available to order from www.forbiddenplanet.com

day-doctor-merch-13

Last updated: November 23rd, 2013 | 362 comments

362 Responses to :
What Did You Think of The Day of the Doctor?

1 3 4 5

1. Posted by: Tardis Timey Spacey Reply

July 24th, 2014 - 2:08pm

Awesome, But i didn’t Expect The Tenth Doctor to Actually be the Tenth Doctor, I expected him to be the one in the Parallel universe. I also Thought that Billie Piper Was Playing Rose Tyler Not The Moment. Overall it was Brilliant but i Wanted Peter Chussing to have a Bit of Archive Footage in The Day of the Doctor. I Can’t Belive they Through in Coal Hill.But they Should have had a bit based in 1963.

2. Posted by: XRumerTest Reply

July 23rd, 2014 - 6:38am

Hello. And Bye.

3. Posted by: The TARDIS Reply

January 4th, 2014 - 3:34pm

My final judgement after several (hundred) rewatchings (if that is even a word. Well, it is now. Here’s to rewatchings.)
    A brilliant episode, very enjoyable and funny. It was good fun to watch, and John Hurt stole the show for me. It would have been a fantastic normal episode, or series finale. It would have been an amazing new series anniversary episode. However, as the 50th anniversary episode, I found it a bit lacking.

• Posted by: Doctor hooves

January 18th, 2014 - 6:09am

I love it!!It was so good(too much kissing)but it was the best Doctor Who yet and the new Doctor is in it(a bit)

4. Posted by: Terri Reply

December 22nd, 2013 - 8:04pm

Just to show you how big it was in the states, that one night of 3D entertainment in the cinema’s garnered more money than the whole “Oz the Great and Powerful” in the theaters. See, we love the Doctor across the pond just as much!

• Posted by: David Tennet

February 17th, 2014 - 6:59pm

5. Posted by: jack Reply

December 20th, 2013 - 5:03pm

To the Doctor i rille wont to travul wiv you in tim and if you can find a sonik scroodriv can i hav it.

• Posted by: Anonymous

January 4th, 2014 - 4:37pm

What

6. Posted by: the council Reply

December 8th, 2013 - 6:42pm

This was so good watched in cinma and wabtchedit 3 times on record lol

7. Posted by: 100000BC Reply

December 4th, 2013 - 4:30pm

What’s all this nonsense about Hurt-Capaldi? I thought that it was clearly Mr. Eccleston at the end of the episode. The ears even flapped out!

• Posted by: DOCTOR WHO ONE

December 6th, 2013 - 3:25pm

John Hurt did start to regenerate into Christopher Eccleston, but off course, the whole regeneration was not shown.

8. Posted by: DOCTOR WHO ONE Reply

December 3rd, 2013 - 10:02am

Good news written in TV Biz from the Sun Newspaper –

Doctor Who’s 50th Anniversary episode is the most watched drama of 2013 – with 12.8 million viewers having watched it to date.

A peak audience of 10.2 million watched The Day of the Doctor one-off special, with the remainder watching later on TV catch-up services.

It was also the most requested show ever over 24 hours on BBC’s iPlayer. It pulled in 1.27 million requests in a day, with another 2.9 million views since. The episode was also shown in 834 cinemas in 94 countries.

DOCTOR WHO – now and forever . . ALWAYS !! :D

9. Posted by: Obsie Reply

November 29th, 2013 - 4:45pm

Sorry about this but it’s in reference to “An Adventure in…” I may be mistaken but at about 15 minutes in while Jeffe Rawle is looking for possible Doctors, I’m sure I spotted Peter Cushing’s photo underneath a photo of Cyril Cusak. (top of screen), please someone put me of my misery and say if I’m imagining things or not.

• Posted by: tardismike

November 29th, 2013 - 6:09pm

Yes you are totally correct. He was definately considered for the role but got his chance in the films.

• Posted by: Obsie

November 29th, 2013 - 6:39pm

Thank you tardismike. I know about the films but not the fact that he was considered for the role on television. Now I’m impressed that the drama managed to get facts so complete. All I have now is a slight gaff which happened when Matt Smith turned up. However, I’m still chuffed that the drama was ever made.

10. Posted by: Danny Brown Reply

November 26th, 2013 - 2:35pm

really good episode! I did a review of it on my youtube channel!

11. Posted by: Danny Brown Reply

November 26th, 2013 - 11:42am

Great episode! i did a review on my youtube channel!

12. Posted by: Obsie Reply

November 26th, 2013 - 10:49am

Can anyone give a reasonable answer as to how Kamelion appeared on one of the photographs pinned to the board of previous companions/ assistants, deep in The Tower of London?

• Posted by: RORY DOCTOR RIVER POND

November 26th, 2013 - 7:12pm

that’s what i thought! he was hardly in the series and he just rattled around in the tardis

13. Posted by: Scotty Reply

November 25th, 2013 - 9:05pm

Can anyone who was at the excel this weekend or anyone else who has already seen it tell me where I can get or what the name of the interactive iPhone camera app was that turns a picture of a dalek/cyberman into a moving character on the phone screen when you hover the camera over it….. I can’t find it anywhere

14. Posted by: david newton Reply

November 25th, 2013 - 8:48pm

I ENJOYED THE DAY OF THE DOCTOR AND WAS DELIGHTED THE TIME LORDS DID EVENTUALLY SURVIVE MAYBE WE WILL GET A STORY WITH THEM IN THE NEW SERIES. ONE OF MY FAVOURITE BITS WAS THE TARDIS BREAKING OUT OF A WALL AND SMASHING UP THE DALEKS AND THE ZYGONS STORY TOO. I WAS SORRY PETER DAVIDSON WASNT IN THE EPISODE. THE SUN CLAIMED HE WAS GOING TO HAVE A BIG PART IN IT. MOFFAT IS A GENIUS AND I CANT WAIT FOR THE NEW SHERLOCK EPISODES. BUT PLEASE MR MOFFAT NO FEMALE DOCTOR YOU WOULD KILL THE CHARACTERS CREDIBILITY FOR ME.

• Posted by: MasterKasterborous

November 25th, 2013 - 10:56pm

Did you know the shot of the TARDIS through the wall was a model shot? Looks great doesn’t it!

• Posted by: Anonymous

November 27th, 2013 - 9:41am

they should do more shots like that

15. Posted by: Lea Reply

November 25th, 2013 - 8:03pm

THINK HOW GOOD THAT EPISODE WOULD OF BEEN IF RUSSLE T DAVIES WRITTEN THAT!!!!!!!!!

• Posted by: McGann is the Doctor

November 27th, 2013 - 9:42am

you mean “THINK HOW BAD THAT EPISODE WOULD OF BEEN”

• Posted by: Anonymous

December 3rd, 2013 - 8:52pm

My husband and I agree with you, that it would have been much better if RTD had worked on it with Moff. We think that the episode was only okay. Not even witty dialogue could distract us from the plot holes and inconsistencies that were all over the place (and in fact, have been all over the place ever since Moff took over). We could go on and on about this at length, but have more productive things to do with our time…

• Posted by: 100000BC

December 3rd, 2013 - 9:43pm

You only need to pay attention to it being explained or await the answer in a future episode (there usually is one – in season finales usually)
      List me your “Plot holes and inconsistencies” and I will give you the answers or whether it will be explained.

16. Posted by: Itdalek Reply

November 25th, 2013 - 5:15pm

Can someone please explain to me why everyone thinks it was really good as everyone i asked coud not gimme a reason why

• Posted by: RORY DOCTOR RIVER POND

November 25th, 2013 - 6:24pm

I thought it was really bad at first, but I watched it again before final judgement. I take it you didn’t like it?

• Posted by: Itdalek

November 25th, 2013 - 6:53pm

I thought the five doctors was better because to be an aniversary specail has to have all doctors in it properly and look alike for the ones which are dead and camos featuring the original actors, and plus the storyline seemed naff for the most of it, there were quite a lot of amazing things in there but it just did not do it for me, if they did all doctors and perhaps afew companions and monsters with a slightly better storyline I would have loved it, just didn’t do it for me

• Posted by: RORY DOCTOR RIVER POND

November 25th, 2013 - 8:34pm

fair enough, and I was thinking the same thing. I did enjoy it, and it was good, but it didn’t feel a celebration because there wasn’t lots of classic content when there could’ve been. I hear you

• Posted by: 100000BC

November 25th, 2013 - 8:38pm

If you cram it full with 11 Doctors and over 40 companions and 50 years’ worth of monsters and old allies and references then there’ll be no room for a story!!!

• Posted by: RORY DOCTOR RIVER POND

November 26th, 2013 - 7:12pm

true, but I suppose it would be nice to have some of the classic doctors at least, bringing together the new and classic.

• Posted by: 100000BC

November 26th, 2013 - 8:10pm

Yes but it was a better idea to have three at the foreground of the story and the rest in the background, but still there. Don’t forget McGann in the prequel, Capaldi in the TARDIS and Tom Baker at the end were all new material. Any more than three Doctors will get very crowded in the time that we had, especially with a Moffat storyline! If you think about it, The Five Doctors worked only because one Doctor was out of the way and the others were only seen together right at the end, and only short snippets of each Doctor were seen, for example I’m sure there might have been other encounters with monsters in the death zone.

• Posted by: RORY DOCTOR RIVER POND

November 27th, 2013 - 5:07pm

True, it would’ve been trickier. But even if the Doctor looked through the window the Moment opened and we saw a snippet of an adventure from the classic for each Doctor, or their most iconic moment. I know it was to show his future, but they easily could’ve formed something around that I think. Agreed about the Moffat storyline though!

17. Posted by: joyce Reply

November 25th, 2013 - 4:41pm

I think Steven Moffat is genius. The episode was amazing.

• Posted by: dalek fan

November 25th, 2013 - 4:50pm

yeah. but
      the zygons
      were really scary 1s!

18. Posted by: sammyboi101 Reply

November 25th, 2013 - 3:23pm

It Was Amazing!!!!!!!!!!!

Now lets give the 11th Doctor a good send off on Christmas Day!!!

19. Posted by: Kristin S Reply

November 25th, 2013 - 3:15pm

My 16 year old daughter wrote this poem after she watched Day of the Doctor:

Said the man who forgets
    To the man who regrets
    Let’s change the time
    That’s the cause of our stress

So the man who forgets
    And the man who regrets
    Met the man from the past
    They had tried to forget

The man who forgets
    And the man who regrets
    Along with the man
    They met from the past
    Prepared to do what was wrong
    For the best

But Clara chimed in
    And gave her two cents
    Reminding the men
    They could still change the past

These men were too kind
    Too gentle
    Too sweet
    To hold so much pain in their hearts
    At their feet

Just freeze it
    She said
    Like the paintings we saw
    Then no one will have to suffer at all

What an idea
    The three men agreed
    So their regenerations
    One through thirteen
    Gave them all of the power they’d need

So the man who forgets
    And the man who regrets
    Had no more reason
    Ever to fret

Their home was waiting
    Suspended in time
    And as you finish reading this rhyme

They’re on a journey
    Through space and through time
    With a reason to live
    And a reason to fight
    —-Allison S

• Posted by: cyberman2

November 27th, 2013 - 4:28pm

wow, that was good

• Posted by: Defender of Trenzalore

November 28th, 2013 - 9:40pm

Amazing work there! Does she do poems often? Because that was really good!
      ;-)

20. Posted by: RORY DOCTOR RIVER POND Reply

November 25th, 2013 - 1:29pm

I did enjoy it, and it was good, but I think it could’ve been better. SM has kind of wiped out the whole RTD thing now Gallifrey has survived. And at times the plot was erratic. I didn’t like how ‘Rose’ wasn’t Rose, and I think if you want Billie Piper in the show, she has to be Rose.
    Also not enough Daleks, and Cybers would’ve been nice. If they wanted to go for Time War that should’ve been the whole ep, as the Zygons took over majority of the plot, and I don’t think they should’ve done. The whole Zygon bit could’ve been it’s own episode!

But I did enjoy it and the little classic references were good.

• Posted by: Jammy2305

November 25th, 2013 - 6:04pm

Hardly wiped it out… 8.5 (Or whatever you wanna call him)and 10 can’t remember, so to them, Gallifrey was destroyed and thus everything we’ve seen up to now stays the same, because they knew no different. Now 11 has learnt it survived, he can go looking for it.

• Posted by: RORY DOCTOR RIVER POND

November 25th, 2013 - 6:26pm

true, but every time we watch 9 say: My planets gone, we won’t think on it and just say: don’t worry, it survived! It was such a big part of the RTD era and now know one will take it as seriously.

• Posted by: MasterKasterborous

November 25th, 2013 - 10:59pm

Actually I think that adds to the Doctors suffering. He believes that he wiped out his whole race and is wallowing in the pits of suffering for what he has done when in reality he managed to save them. That is truly tragic.

• Posted by: RORY DOCTOR RIVER POND

November 26th, 2013 - 7:13pm

true, it’s a personal thing and how you look at it. i just thought it was nice in a way, adding more depth.

• Posted by: McGann is the Doctor

November 27th, 2013 - 9:44am

The Daleks and Timelords probably should have had more of a presence so the audience would be more inclined against the Daleks, but what we got was amazing.

Classic references? I don’t recall many of those, I would have preferred to have Paul McGann and David Bradley in there as the First and Eighth Doctors

and an awesome title sequence instead of just taking an old one :p

• Posted by: MasterKasterborous

December 2nd, 2013 - 9:17pm

Having the original title sequence was pure genius and was amazing to see on the big screen. There were *tons* of classic references, see my post a little below this!

21. Posted by: the ergon Reply

November 25th, 2013 - 11:42am

Incidentally seeing tom baker with matt smith was so poignant. They just had to include him. The old curator and the doctor. Very touching.

22. Posted by: Exterminator Reply

November 25th, 2013 - 11:11am

I wonder why Chris Eccleston didn’t want to play any part in this or any of the 50th celebrations? Such a shame!

Emagine how different day of the doctor would have been if Chris Eccleston had played all the parts john hurt played. It would’ve been ‘Fantastic!’

• Posted by: THE ERGON

November 25th, 2013 - 11:28am

Thought it might have shown ecclestones face for a brief moment when hurt regenerates. Would have brought it up to date.

• Posted by: booboo

November 25th, 2013 - 11:30am

it did slightly, they did do more apparently but decided to cut it at the point you saw

• Posted by: the ergon

November 25th, 2013 - 11:36am

Shame we couldn,t get the cut on the dvd release.

23. Posted by: McGann is the Doctor Reply

November 25th, 2013 - 10:41am

I was a little disappointed when I left the theatre, there wasn’t much for classic Doctor Who fans and I had been hoping to see the 2013 title sequence in 3-D but instead they copy and pasted the old 1963 one which isn’t anywhere near as thrilling in 3-D as the 2013 one.

But other than that, the special was great. Matt Smith was great, John Hurt was great, David Tennant was…well, he’s there for the dweeks, the script and story line were absolutely amazing, they raised some very interesting questions about war, and indeed, the Doctor himself.

So yes, it was superb.

• Posted by: 100000BC

November 25th, 2013 - 3:59pm

If you cram the episode full of 50 years’ worth of references there won’t be room for story!!!

• Posted by: MasterKasterborous

November 25th, 2013 - 11:09pm

Well the episode did have a fantastic plot a *huge* amount of Classic references:

The Opening Credits
      Police officer by the gates of Totters Lane
      Coalhill School
      Chesterton as Chairman of Governors
      Coburn as Headmaster
      Clock reading 17:16
      Tom Baker’s scarf
      Osgood (‘scarf girl’) possible relation to Sergeant Osgood
      Cromer reference
      UNIT Dating Conundrum reference
      Zygons
      ‘Reverse the polarity’
      Spare-Time Telegraph
      Roundels
      ‘You’ve redecorated I don’t like it’
      ‘wearing a bit thin’
      Tom Baker returning
      Plus all the Doctors (in some form or another)

There are probably quite a few more too!

• Posted by: MasterKasterborous

November 25th, 2013 - 11:09pm

Code for Vortex manipulator: 1716231163

• Posted by: 100000BC

December 2nd, 2013 - 9:47pm

Exactly. The team worked their socks off to fit those in, so be grateful.

24. Posted by: The Mr Master Reply

November 25th, 2013 - 7:27am

It needed more of the time war in. But other than that it was great!

25. Posted by: Gordon DowningI Reply

10:Christopher eccleston
      11:David Tennant
      12:Matt Smith
      13:Peter Capaldi

• Posted by: Richard keen

December 1st, 2013 - 10:45pm

Some still say 14 due to the fact Tennants Doctor had two regenerations….he used a regen after being shot by the Dalek…. To honest I don’t count that (as it was a repair) so to me it’s 13 Doctors.

Rich

• Posted by: 100000BC

December 2nd, 2013 - 12:32pm

If Tennant-Tennant counts then so might healing River in TATM.

• Posted by: Tardis Timey Spacey

July 24th, 2014 - 2:01pm

Awesome, But i didn’t Expect The Tenth Doctor to Actually be the Tenth Doctor, I expected him to be the one in the Parallel universe. I also Thought that Billie Piper Was Playing Rose Tyler Not The Moment. Overall it was Brilliant but i Wanted Peter Chussing to have a Bit of Archive Footage in The Day of the Doctor. So there’s Actually 15 Doctors.

26. Posted by: Mels Reply

November 25th, 2013 - 5:49am

That was a pretty awesome special, I have to say. I don’t think they could have crammed in any more fan service if they tried. :p (The Doctor Who fangirl/scientist was cute, and Tom Baker showing up at the last minute was the icing on the time cake). :D

Although watching John Hurt makes me wish he was a full time Doctor… love that guy.. :)

27. Posted by: Tom Reply