August 4th, 2013 425 comments

12th Doctor Revealed – What do you Think?

12th Doctor Revealed – What do you Think?

The new Doctor is Peter Capaldi!

Peter-Capaldi

So the wait is over and we now know who will take over from Matt Smith in the Christmas Special – so what do you think?

In a special live broadcast, the BBC today announced that the role of Doctor Who would next be played by Peter Capaldi.

Amid much hype and speculation, Peter Capaldi was unveiled as the next Doctor during a special live television event on BBC ONE tonight.

Widely regarded as one of the biggest roles in British television, Capaldi will be the Twelfth Doctor and takes over from Matt Smith who leaves the show at Christmas.

Peter Capaldi says: “Being asked to play The Doctor is an amazing privilege. Like the Doctor himself I find myself in a state of utter terror and delight. I can’t wait to get started.”

Steven Moffat, lead writer and executive producer says : “It’s an incendiary combination: one of the most talented actors of his generation is about to play the best part on television. Peter Capaldi is in the TARDIS!”

Doctor Who companion, Jenna Coleman says “I’m so excited Peter Capaldi is the man taking on the challenge of becoming the Twelfth Doctor. With Steven’s writing and his talent I know we’ll be making an amazing show with an incredible incarnation of number 12. I can’t wait to start this new adventure!”

Charlotte Moore, Controller BBC One says : “Peter Capaldi has all the genius and versatility needed to take on the mantel of the great Time Lord and make the role his own. He’ll bring his own particular wisdom, charisma and wit to the Twelfth Doctor and take the show into an exciting new era.”

Ben Stephenson, Controller, BBC Drama Commissioning says : “We started thinking Peter Capaldi might be the right person to take on this iconic part a few months ago. But it was only when he did a secret audition at Steven’s house under the cover of darkness that we knew we had our man. He’s an extraordinarily talented actor who can seemingly turn his hand to anything. We can’t wait to premiere his unique take on the Doctor on Christmas Day and we are sure he’s going to become one of the all-time classic Doctors.”

Rankin exclusively shot Peter Capaldi this morning, picture available from www.bbcpictures.com

Doctor Who is produced by BBC Cymru Wales

BIOGRAPHY

Peter Capaldi is an award winning actor, film maker and lifelong Doctor Who fan.

He has enjoyed an illustrious career to date in both film and television.

Before securing the coveted role of the Twelfth Doctor, Peter first appeared in Doctor Who in 2008, playing Caecilius in the episode “The Fires of Pompeii”.

Peter grew up in Glasgow and attended the Glasgow School of Art, while studying there he secured his first breakthrough role in Local Hero (1983). He has also had roles in Dangerous Liaisons, The Crow Road, The Devil’s Whore and Torchwood: Children of Earth.

It is his role as Government spin doctor Malcolm Tucker in the BBC comedy series, The Thick of It , that has earned Peter both international and award success. In 2010 he won the BAFTA Television Award for Best Male Performance in a Comedy Role and the BPG Best Actor Award. In both 2010 and 2012, Peter won the British Comedy Award for Best TV Comedy Actor. A film spin-off from The Thick of It, entitled In the Loop, was released in 2009.

As well as appearing in front of the camera, Peter is an award winning film maker. In 1995, he won the Oscar for Best Short Film (Live Action) for Franz Kafka’s It’s a Wonderful Life. He also wrote Soft Top, Hard Shoulder, which won the audience award at the London Film Festival, and wrote and directed Strictly Sinatra. Peter’s stage credits include Professor Marcus in The Ladykillers at the Liverpool Playhouse, which saw the play transfer to the Gielgud Theatre in London.

2013 has been a busy year for Peter who has been seen on screen in the film World War Z and in BBC Two drama series The Hour, for which he was BAFTA nominated. Not only will Peter film his first scenes for Doctor Who this Autumn, but he will appear in the forthcoming film The Fifth Estate and the Disney film Maleficent.

Peter is currently filming new BBC One drama series The Musketeers, in which he plays Cardinal Richelieu which will launch in early 2014.

• Scott’s TARDIS

August 20th, 2013 - 7:48am

In order of best:

1. The Tenth Doctor, David Tennant
    2. The Third Doctor, Jon Pertwee
    3. The Fourth Doctor, Tom Baker
    4. The Seventh Doctor, Sylvester McCoy
    5. The Ninth Doctor, Christopher Eccleston
    6. The Sixth Doctor, Colin Baker
    7. The First Doctor, William Hartnell
    8. The Eighth Doctor, Paul McGann
    9. The Second Doctor, Patrick Troughton
    10.The Fifth Doctor, Peter Davison
    11. The Eleventh Doctor, Matt Smith.

• Scott’s TARDIS

August 20th, 2013 - 7:43am

Matt Smith is good at portraying a dark Doctor. I really hope he doesn’t stay like a stupid bumbling buffoon for the 50th and for the Christmas Special.

• Scott’s TARDIS

August 20th, 2013 - 7:40am

Boom Town? That was the story of a Slitheen who couldn’t bring themself to kill. Don’t tell me that’s funny!

• Michelle

August 19th, 2013 - 3:33pm

Not really happy about it..can’t really see him as the Doctor…plus it’s going to be weird because he was already a character on DW and TW…yes I know know ..6 was in it as a guard before he became the Doctor…that was weird ..
    The Martha thing could kind of be explained away,it was her cousin.The other people were also easy to hide or explain away..but the person becoming the Doctor is strange..

• Alex (whoworld.freeforums.net)

August 19th, 2013 - 12:44pm

Older than I thought he would be! Sure though, nice pick. I thought the new doctor would be someone I’d never heard of before, but not this time. Still, I wish him good luck!

• RORY DOCTOR RIVER POND

August 18th, 2013 - 9:24pm

Bit creepy.

• Dalek The Supreme

August 18th, 2013 - 3:03pm

Yeah, as long as it’s not anytime soon. 😀

• Dalek The Supreme

August 18th, 2013 - 2:59pm

I’d like to see something Victorian, like Paul McGann’s outfit or Matt Smith’s during The Snowmen.

• Dalek The Supreme

August 18th, 2013 - 2:58pm

I’m fairly sure they got older after Davison and only got younger when McGann came along.

• Dalek The Supreme

August 18th, 2013 - 2:56pm

Hm, I like it! A fitting end to my Doctor, and a hilarious introduction to the Twelfth Doctor. All that’s missing is Capaldi saying “Bow ties…are NOT cool!”

• PedroPete

August 16th, 2013 - 6:29pm

The New doctor is going to be amazing!

Matt smith – I wasen’t so keen on him at first but by 2012 I thought he was amazing. Only Just got used to steven moffat used to hate his episodes.

• booboo

August 16th, 2013 - 10:46am

email is not published and the name you are using here is always going to picked up as spam

• clomhatesraxicoricofalipitorius

August 16th, 2013 - 10:39am

that first comment with Dylan Croom was a mistake, you see it said my name wasn’t going to be published and I thought you would be able to decide your other name after it is published

• Dylan Croom

August 16th, 2013 - 10:36am

When he walked onto the stage I didn’t know what to think then I heard that he had been in the show before, and, When I heard that he was a fan all his life I thought OMG…. but if you go on the official website, you’ll see a clip and the smile at the end.

I find it freaky but I’ll leave it for you to decide whether you like it

• docfan93

August 15th, 2013 - 12:37pm

I’m sure he will he’s a good actor I watched him in the fires of Pompeii and in torchwood children of earth and he was really good I think its a good choice.

• RYCBAR123

August 13th, 2013 - 4:55pm

:O This is exactly what should happen. It has the perfect amount of humor and sadness for a great regeneration! The bow tie bit is cool! :3

• the astroanout of death

August 13th, 2013 - 10:51am

at the end of day I think the actor who plays the doctor should be a role model to kid’s

when matt got the job I researched him a lot on YouTube and I did not relay find anything bad about him

and when it was announced matt was leaving a rather a lot of people thought russle brand should the 12th doctor

and I thought he would be an excellent doctor but he is not a very good role model he is in rude TV shows he has been getting arrested he has basically not been a good role model

and I think before they cast a doctor they should do a check on them to see if there a good role model and have a good back ground

• the astroanout of death

August 13th, 2013 - 10:37am

I have like the idea of peter capaldi being the doctor in the past few day

but now I look back at all the past episodes with tenant Chris and matt im going to miss have a young funny doctor

I just hope we don’t get another doctor who has no personality and is all up him self

• booboo

August 13th, 2013 - 10:25am

so how do you stop them when they are at a friends house where the parents aren’t bothered?

• DoctorArkham

August 12th, 2013 - 10:42pm

Young kids shouldn’t even on YouTube let alone researching The Thick of It on the net. I blame the parents. If you’re letting young kids on the computer, you need to control what they go on.

• DoctorArkham

August 12th, 2013 - 10:38pm

Just read it, he did a fantastic job!

• thedaleksdeath

August 12th, 2013 - 8:31pm

Now that’s a brilliant introduction for Peter!

From,

Thedaleksdeath.

• The Peking Homunculus

August 12th, 2013 - 6:23pm

No, not an 80 year old, but John Hurt is around 73, so he’s the oldest person to play “the Doctor”. Really hope this regeneration means the return of Michael Jayston

• DoctorArkham

August 12th, 2013 - 1:43pm

Part Two:

“I am the Doctor. I always will be. Well then Clara Oswald, it’s time for a new adventure- GERONIMOOOOOOOOOOO!” he shouts as the light engulfs the lying body of the Doctor as Clara releases her grip and covers her face to shield her eyes.

Moments later, the 12th Doctor awakens.
    “Well then. I’m back.” The new Doctor says to Clara.
    “Doctor?” she says warily.
    “Well who else? Were you expecting a Cyberman or a Dalek?” The Doctor asks sarcastically. She just stares. The Doctor feels his body, until his thin fingers touch the bow tie. His face darkens.
    “WHAT IS THIS?” shrieks the Doctor. He rips off the bow tie and throws it into the unknown. He smiles at her and stands up, and begins setting the TARDIS controls.
    “Here we go again.” he says simply- and the credits roll.

• DoctorArkham

August 12th, 2013 - 1:37pm

The Regeneration (Part One):

The Doctor enters the TARDIS, Clara follows. He is of course, wounded. The Doctor gives Clara a brief smile of victory, then collapses to the ground.
    “Doctor!” Clara cries.
    “I’m sorry Clara. It’s happening again.”
    “What is? The thing where you change?” Clara says.
    “Yes, I’m regenerating.” The Doctor gasps, as he wriggles in uncomfortable pain. Clara holds him still.
    “But what if you’re different? I don’t want you to go. I don’t want a new Doctor.” Clara whimpers.

“I’ll still be me Clara Oswald. Always and forever. Remember that.” The Doctor tells her, as his hands and head begin to be engulfed a blinding yellow.
    “No, don’t go!”

• T4RD1S

August 11th, 2013 - 11:04pm

wish i went

• Trenzalore2051

August 11th, 2013 - 9:23pm

Big D u r soooo wrong. The show was really good, do u have something against Zoe ball or something?

• Trenzalore2051

August 11th, 2013 - 9:03pm

No… On 25th December

• ROCKSTAR

August 11th, 2013 - 8:29pm

As long as he does a good job as the Doctor I m okay with him

• freyiejj

August 11th, 2013 - 10:40am

I agree that Tennant was a really good Doctor, but so was Smith.
    Lots of the fans don’t notice that cause they’re too fixated on Tennant