August 4th, 2013 425 comments

12th Doctor Revealed – What do you Think?

12th Doctor Revealed – What do you Think?

The new Doctor is Peter Capaldi!

Peter-Capaldi

So the wait is over and we now know who will take over from Matt Smith in the Christmas Special – so what do you think?

In a special live broadcast, the BBC today announced that the role of Doctor Who would next be played by Peter Capaldi.

Amid much hype and speculation, Peter Capaldi was unveiled as the next Doctor during a special live television event on BBC ONE tonight.

Widely regarded as one of the biggest roles in British television, Capaldi will be the Twelfth Doctor and takes over from Matt Smith who leaves the show at Christmas.

Peter Capaldi says: “Being asked to play The Doctor is an amazing privilege. Like the Doctor himself I find myself in a state of utter terror and delight. I can’t wait to get started.”

Steven Moffat, lead writer and executive producer says : “It’s an incendiary combination: one of the most talented actors of his generation is about to play the best part on television. Peter Capaldi is in the TARDIS!”

Doctor Who companion, Jenna Coleman says “I’m so excited Peter Capaldi is the man taking on the challenge of becoming the Twelfth Doctor. With Steven’s writing and his talent I know we’ll be making an amazing show with an incredible incarnation of number 12. I can’t wait to start this new adventure!”

Charlotte Moore, Controller BBC One says : “Peter Capaldi has all the genius and versatility needed to take on the mantel of the great Time Lord and make the role his own. He’ll bring his own particular wisdom, charisma and wit to the Twelfth Doctor and take the show into an exciting new era.”

Ben Stephenson, Controller, BBC Drama Commissioning says : “We started thinking Peter Capaldi might be the right person to take on this iconic part a few months ago. But it was only when he did a secret audition at Steven’s house under the cover of darkness that we knew we had our man. He’s an extraordinarily talented actor who can seemingly turn his hand to anything. We can’t wait to premiere his unique take on the Doctor on Christmas Day and we are sure he’s going to become one of the all-time classic Doctors.”

Rankin exclusively shot Peter Capaldi this morning, picture available from www.bbcpictures.com

Doctor Who is produced by BBC Cymru Wales

BIOGRAPHY

Peter Capaldi is an award winning actor, film maker and lifelong Doctor Who fan.

He has enjoyed an illustrious career to date in both film and television.

Before securing the coveted role of the Twelfth Doctor, Peter first appeared in Doctor Who in 2008, playing Caecilius in the episode “The Fires of Pompeii”.

Peter grew up in Glasgow and attended the Glasgow School of Art, while studying there he secured his first breakthrough role in Local Hero (1983). He has also had roles in Dangerous Liaisons, The Crow Road, The Devil’s Whore and Torchwood: Children of Earth.

It is his role as Government spin doctor Malcolm Tucker in the BBC comedy series, The Thick of It , that has earned Peter both international and award success. In 2010 he won the BAFTA Television Award for Best Male Performance in a Comedy Role and the BPG Best Actor Award. In both 2010 and 2012, Peter won the British Comedy Award for Best TV Comedy Actor. A film spin-off from The Thick of It, entitled In the Loop, was released in 2009.

As well as appearing in front of the camera, Peter is an award winning film maker. In 1995, he won the Oscar for Best Short Film (Live Action) for Franz Kafka’s It’s a Wonderful Life. He also wrote Soft Top, Hard Shoulder, which won the audience award at the London Film Festival, and wrote and directed Strictly Sinatra. Peter’s stage credits include Professor Marcus in The Ladykillers at the Liverpool Playhouse, which saw the play transfer to the Gielgud Theatre in London.

2013 has been a busy year for Peter who has been seen on screen in the film World War Z and in BBC Two drama series The Hour, for which he was BAFTA nominated. Not only will Peter film his first scenes for Doctor Who this Autumn, but he will appear in the forthcoming film The Fifth Estate and the Disney film Maleficent.

Peter is currently filming new BBC One drama series The Musketeers, in which he plays Cardinal Richelieu which will launch in early 2014.

• Matt Smithy

September 23rd, 2013 - 7:20am

Why does everyone say they are getting younger? They clearly haven’t! the 5th Doctor WAS the youngest, then after that the 6th Doctor was older, and it wasn’t just on that occasion.

• the astronaut of death

August 31st, 2013 - 8:08pm

for the past 50 years the doctor;s have been getting younger and younger and it has taken us 50 years for us to get this young of an actor

now we have to start all over again due to us now having a 55 year old doctor the same age as hartnel when he got the job

here we go again

• Scott the Raptor

August 30th, 2013 - 9:31pm

Personally I would have had Clara saying, “You can’t!” Or “Please don’t die!”.

• Dalek The Supreme

August 30th, 2013 - 9:05pm

Scott’s TARDIS, I was having a hard time about it as Clara has been a bit random characterwise so far. Also, it’s his only choice to survive.

• marco polo

August 30th, 2013 - 6:49pm

Doesnt the doctor have a bit of a turn once he regenerates. a funny turn while things settle, id like to see this impact this doctor a bit . based upon the recent events . he has to come to terms with alot of issues , clouds his judgement a bit and his morale compass. give mr capaldi a chance once hes in costume and organised his persona then judge him. and he can only be as good as the writing.

• Sebatron

August 30th, 2013 - 1:21pm

impossible girl, lol
    She does know about regeneration so she wouldn’t be confused at all.
    She learned about it in The Name of the Doctor!

• Scott’s TARDIS

August 29th, 2013 - 8:01am

Clara wouldn’t say “Dont die on me,”. Also, The Doctor does have a choice. The Master had a choice when The Doctor was holding him in his arms shouting, “REGENERATE!”, at him when The Master died.

• Dalek The Supreme

August 29th, 2013 - 4:31am

I do like the idea of the Silents being in it though, Moffat really needs to wrap up the Silence subplot, and answer the question of who blew up the TARDIS.

• Dalek The Supreme

August 29th, 2013 - 4:29am

She saw all eleven faces of the Doctor when she entered his timestream to save him from the Great Intelligence.

• impossible girl, lol

August 28th, 2013 - 1:28pm

gr8 idea but im still not sure of peter i mean he will be good and that but i dunno but im gonna give him a chance because he was in doctor who before but that was a long time ago and then after that he was in Torchwood (still a long time ago) and he was brill in them but as the doctor maybe he will be brill as the doctor 2

i think it was destiny for him to be the doctor because in world war Z he was a “World Health Organization” or W.H.O. the who doctor he was called the who doctor ,doctor who that has to be destiny

• impossible girl, lol

August 28th, 2013 - 1:14pm

Clara wouldn’t no what regeneration is she would be all confused and that
    so HA lol

• Dalek The Supreme

August 27th, 2013 - 4:23pm

That’s aright, Scott. So am I.

• Dalek The Supreme

August 27th, 2013 - 4:19pm

I liked that the Eleventh Doctor wasn’t as interested in romance has his last incarnation, and Capaldi might be the next step to a less romantic Doctor.

• Dalek The Supreme

August 27th, 2013 - 4:16pm

I consider Aliens of London/World War III to be the “fun” episode with all the comedy farting (Which absolutely digusted me). Boom Town was trying to go for a darker edge, but much of the dialogue between the Doctor, Jack, and Rose in the beginning sounded like a cheesey kid’s show.

• Dalek The Supreme

August 27th, 2013 - 4:12pm

I like the bow tie, I consider it Matt Smith’s signature, but I do think it would be both fitting and funny for the Capaldi Doctor to dislike the bow tie.

• Dalek The Supreme

August 27th, 2013 - 4:08pm

I see many people sharing their opinions on how Matt Smith should regenerate, so I’ll give an example of what I want to see:
    *The Doctor staggers back to the TARDIS, leaning on Clara for support, and collapses on the floor next to the console*
    Clara: Don’t die on me Doctor…you can’t die…
    Doctor: I have no choice, but I won’t really die-I-it’s complicated…
    Clara: Doctor…what if I don’t like the new you…?
    Doctor: You liked me well enough…GERONIMOOOOO!!! *His face and hands are engulfed in light, and when it clears, the Twelfth Doctor takes his place and sits up*
    Clara: Doctor?
    Doctor: Hello, Clara
    Clara: How do you feel
    *The Doctor stands and looks in the mirror* Ugh! That’s not me at all*
    Clara: Doctor, what do you-*The Doctor throws off his bow tie in disgust*
    Doctor: Bow ties…are NOT cool! *End credits*

• Scott’s TARDIS

August 25th, 2013 - 9:47am

This would be my Eleventh Doctors Regeneration:

The Doctor walks to a snow covered TARDIS slowly. He is cut and bleeding.
    He opens the doors, Clara following him. The Doctor wipes his face clean with his hands like in The End of Time Part Two.

Clara: You’ve done it! Your cuts and bruises have gone! You don’t need to regenerate!

Doctor: No, Clara. That’s only the start of the process.

Clara: What does that mean?

Doctor: GERONIMO!!!!!!

He shouts as golden rays engulf his face and hands. He is still shouting ‘GERONIMO’. Moments later, the golden rays vanish and out comes the new Doctor!

Clara: Doctor?

Doctor: Yes come on Doctor! Reply to Clara!

Clara: You are The Doctor!

Doctor: Oh, right!

The Doctor sets the TARDIS scanner to mirror.

Doctor: Oh. I look a lot older! Even though I’m only a couple of seconds older.

The Doctor looks at his bow tie in the mirror.

Doctor: Yuck! That’s disgusting! Get it off! Get it off!

Clara takes the Doctors bow tie off for him.

Clara: Finally! I hated the bow tie!

Doctor: Oh, so did I!

The credits role as we see a glimpse of Series 8.

August 24th, 2013 - 12:07pm

dr who will not be given as much attention by the BBC,the new controller at the BBC has already confirmed her main priority is the revival of EastEnders and making that the best drama so maybe dr whos budget will be cut a bit for EastEnders as the new controller thinks EastEnders is the #1 show on the BBC

• Dalek The Supreme

August 24th, 2013 - 4:16am

It sounds a bit too much like the “I don’t want to go” from The End of Time to me, which I did not like. Sorry, just my opinion.

• Lee

August 23rd, 2013 - 10:13pm

Oh thats a good idea! Really good. Like something Moffat would actually do 🙂

• DoctorArkham

August 23rd, 2013 - 7:30pm

Thank you all for your kind comments! There could also be a special for Sport Relief or something which has Clara getting used to the Doctor…

• Sebatron

August 23rd, 2013 - 12:23am

Sounds Great!

August 22nd, 2013 - 1:24pm

Why would it be weird? Colin Baker appearing in “Arc of Infinity” wasn’t weird and neither was Capaldi in “Fire of Pompeii”.

Don’t take things so seriously – it’s only a TV show! It’s nothing important.

• Mad Girl With A Box

August 22nd, 2013 - 2:54am

I love this choice. Peter Capaldi is a very seasoned, talented actor who will bring us a fresh take on the Doctor. I believe his personality will be very House-like (you know, from that hospital show). I dunno, it’s just a guess. But if that’s true, then I will absolutely love it. It’s time that we had an older Doctor. Too many “fans” just watched because of the eye-candy rather than the plot. Don’t get me wrong, I love Matt to pieces and I’m heartbroken to know he’s leaving, but I feel better knowing such a great actor is taking the reins.

• The Ice Cold Ice Warrior

August 21st, 2013 - 10:00pm

I think it would be good if the doctor faces an evil person from gallifrey who was banished from the planet played by capaldi in the xmas special. the 11th defeates him but not fully. the creature forces the 11th to regenerate and runs at him wile he is regenerating and matt smith becomes the now dead creature and capaldi the new doctor

• The Ice Cold Ice Warrior

August 21st, 2013 - 9:55pm

like Karen gillan in the fires of Pompeii, oh wait number 12 was in that ep as well

• The Ice Cold Ice Warrior

August 21st, 2013 - 9:53pm

or have the alien travling with clara and number 12

• the astronaut of death

August 21st, 2013 - 9:04pm

this is how I would love for the 11th doctor to regenerate

it is Christmas eve night the tardis is a street and it is snowing

the 11th doctor appears at the end of the street with his face showing cuts he drop on his knees in agony he then starts crawling towards the tardis in agony and then in the back ground the song silent knight appears witch will guide the 11th doctor to regenerate then silence appeared In the shadows witnessing the 11th doctor staggering to his tardis

the tardis doors swing open to reveal Clara standing by the console the 11th doctor walks in

Clara: doctor what wrong

the doctor starts to cry

Clara: doctor!

the doctor: im sorry but you are never going to see me again

Clara: what do you mean

the doctor: I mean ……… Geronimo

the 11th doctor starts to regenerate

the 12th doctor: I know what your thinking oh god oh god who are you. your not the doctor. well ill explain in a tick let me just do something

the doctor runs to wards the doors of the tardis open the doctor the silence are still standing there in the shadows

the doctor: you can all go home now I have died now you got your wish

the doctor runs back in to the tardis

the doctor: ok I think I’ve got some explain to do

• greyzinychimp

August 21st, 2013 - 6:37pm

i think after Clara they should have an alien companion.there hasn’t been in the modern series

August 20th, 2013 - 5:33pm

I think in an episode after Clara has left the tardis has a dramatic crash and when the doctor wakes up and he finds a body lying on the tardis floor he realises it is idris and she is back alive

and then idris becomes the doctor’s new companion