November 14th, 2015 128 comments

What Did You Think of Sleep No More ?

Now that the highly anticipated Ninth episode of series 9 has been aired what did you think? Was it everything you had hoped for or not what you expected.

missy-banner-4#

• WFK DVD Collector 15

November 15th, 2015 - 9:23pm

I couldn’t agree more with you. It’s so nice to hear someone talk sense instead of people saying they liked it just because of the hype… I’m starting to wonder how long the show has left now it’s getting less then 4 million viewers a episode, and less and less people seem to like the show or even be familiar with it! When it comes to writing Doctor Who, simple stories are FAR better then ones that try and be clever. (I’ll take the Doctor stopping a Dalek invasion over Maisie Williams any day!)

• A “Real Doctor Who” Fan

November 15th, 2015 - 8:13pm

As an avid viewer of Dr Who for more than 50 years I can honestly say Sleep No Bore, sorry More was the worst ever episode to be inflicted upon mankind. The plot had more holes in it than a Colander. The Dr was reduced to basically an ineffective rambling bystander & was just there to basically allow the episode to be called a Dr Who adventure.
    Mr Muppet, sorry Moffat appears to be deliberately killing off the show with these badly written, almost no plot, scripts. This last episode was so dire (monsters created from eye snot) even the BBC was so embarrassed by it they didn’t even put the titles & theme music to it.
    Steven Moffat “claims” to be a fan since childhood, but the drivel that Mr Capaldi has had to work with that has been inflicted upon him since he started by this man, has not allowed Mr Capaldi to develop the Doctor in this re-incarnation in a way this fine actor could.
    The Tennant season was bad enough but since then its been like watching a train crash in slow motion. If Moffat really was a fan then he should get some decent script writers & bring back the spirit of the show to what it was in the 60s, 70s & the early 80s. Even the car crash of a film, with McGann as the Doctor was better than what is being served up now.

• Stephen m

November 15th, 2015 - 8:10pm

I enjoyed the episode. I think this series had been really strong, and this was a good but not the best episode. The base under siege idea was done recently in under the lake, but it put me in mind of journey to the centre… with the monsters. The ‘something in your eye’but made me think of Amy with the angel in her eye. The ending was also quite sudden. I think the 2 part episodes have worked well this year, but it looks like we might come back to it at some point.

• Dem squiggles

November 15th, 2015 - 7:31pm

Sleep no more? More like watch no more

• MrHaloWho

November 15th, 2015 - 7:18pm

I hate all the cheap, easy resolutions to the stories: “the monsters are made of sleep dusts, the ghosts are holograms made by my glasses, the sewers are dead Daleks etc…

November 15th, 2015 - 7:07pm

Actually to clarify: I love Doctor Who but like Star Trek (Which I also love) I’m not afraid to be critical when it goes wrong. The current Seasons 8-9 are like watching Doctor Who which isn’t Doctor Who if you get what I mean? Some parts of the show feel like I’m watching Doctor Who then veer off at a tangent as though it’s another show altogether? I have found that with the last 3 Bond films: I’m supposedly watching James Bond in action, but none of the last 3 films are ‘actually’ a Bond film. Certain ‘Bond’ elements are there but they are certainly not Bond films. Same reason I feel that elements of ‘Doctor Who’ are there but it isn’t Doctor Who. I’ve never followed the sheep but just because ‘Critics’ do & ‘90%’ of fans do as well doesn’t mean they are right. As long as the ratings remain high & merchandise make’s cash the show will go on. That doesn’t mean of course that it’s a ‘good show’ but as long as the masses enjoy it that’s fine & dandy. It just means I’m one of the few that disagrees.

November 15th, 2015 - 7:04pm

Agreed

• Obsie

November 15th, 2015 - 6:47pm

Strange choice for a sequel as they are renowned for being awful. So going by this one it’s going to increase its awful factor even more. Rash, foolish idea that should be shelved now before it ever sees the light of day and only aggravates people more.

• the astronaut of death

November 15th, 2015 - 6:15pm

much better after a rewatch

November 15th, 2015 - 5:35pm

I really like your positiveness, and mostly thanks to 2nd viewings, I have really liked Capadi’s 2nd series, and might rate it higher than most since about 1981.

Interestingly, my opinions might oppose yours slightly insofar as I think Under the Lake and the Zygon 2-parter are the best things we have seen for years (possibly since Caves). Girl Who Died I really like on 2nd viewing and felt the follow up was less good.

Point being:- x2 very positive series 9 viewers/fans despite having nearly opposite story orders,

• Evans the coward

November 15th, 2015 - 5:25pm

Sleep no more, I hate it more than the twin dilemma and fear her

November 15th, 2015 - 3:37pm

Interesting opinion…although I think 90% of fans would completely disagree.

I personally think Series 8 was OK…Series 9 has been the strongest in New Who and strongest in Who history since mid 70s. Everyone I talk to largely agrees with me. The critics reviews do to as do the polls on this site.(I take little notice if forum posts as it’s littlered with Trolls who dileberately post negative stuff to get their attention seeking fix).

I didnt like this episode…but thata fine…no big deal…looking forward to seeing next weeks.

November 15th, 2015 - 3:32pm

There is going to be a sequel in series 10 though…book a date with X Facter chaps

• Obsie

November 15th, 2015 - 3:00pm

Fully understand, tedious and somewhat pointless episode. Best thing about it was there was no “to be continued” tag. Anymore of it being dragged out would have tested my patience to the full.

• Dalekparadigm2

November 15th, 2015 - 2:31pm

It would seem about 75% found this episode to be dull, boring and not at all up to scratch. I suppose in the end this episode WAS really an experiment. After thinking about the episode all night I realised that I lost the plotline of the story and didn’t actually get what actually happened. I kind of got it but I would have to say that Gatiss has just thrown some action together in a first person scenario. The Sandmen were pretty scary in my opinion though and the comedy was great once again. Gatiss’ writing has been great in the past but the last couple of stories he’s done have been at either end of the spectrum. Kids one (Robot of Sherwood -S8) and ‘scary’ one (Sleep No More -S9)

November 15th, 2015 - 1:42pm

To be honest my expectations of Season 9 were pretty low after watching Season 8 which was utter drivel. Season 9 has even more drivel & has been absolutely dire so far. I actually went out for a meal & then watched this episode on catch-up when I usually watch it live. Sadly, the sheer amount of effort & energy, time & money, in fact the whole production of the current show is currently being wasted.

• 47

November 15th, 2015 - 12:58pm

It wasn’t a great episode, I wont ‘throw’ it ‘under the bus’ because I appreciated the structural concept of the episode, if not the story. I watched it half bored to sleep and half intrigued….. The supporting cast of characters didn’t help either. Whilst the episode didn’t do much for me, at least it attempted something bold and different, a re-interpretation of a classic ‘base under siege’ type show. What really annoyed me about The women who lived (et al), was the dreadful comedy, the classless smutty “joke” and then the flatulence gag at the expense of The Doctor, you wouldn’t have done it to Pertwee, so why Capaldi, it just diminishes the lead character and show…….at least this episode took itself seriously, even though it wasn’t my cup of tea, no need to ‘throw it under the bus’, as it only, just wasn’t “my cup of tea.”

• Big D

November 15th, 2015 - 12:51pm

I think I must be the only one who liked Crimson Horror. It felt like an old Hammer film which I enjoy. However I do agree with the rest of what you say. Largely I do tend to prefer the MG stories over those from SM.

• the ergon

November 15th, 2015 - 12:38pm

A convoluted mess with the usual running down dark bland corridors. The sandmen were a ‘marvel’ in more ways than one. Clara annoying the doctor by naming the monster was quite amusing though given the dancing singing projections she didn,t need much inspiration. Since the doctor named ‘The boneless’ maybe this incarnation feels he should and nobody else, to name them. In that case he,d have had a field day with’clark’ from the sea devils and ‘Walters’ from The ice warriors.

• When The Doctor Was Me

November 15th, 2015 - 12:12pm

In one word… Dreadful

Not a fan at all. Bored me enough to want to change the channel! Best thing about this episode was the next time trailer!

• The TARDIS

November 15th, 2015 - 11:51am

I’m? Thank you, autocorrect. Thank you.

• starshipalaska

November 15th, 2015 - 11:48am

On the whole, it kept up the strong standard of series nine. I loved the imagination behind the Sandmen and their origins, but there were two main problems:
    1.) The lack of decent credibility, with lots of unanswered or poorly-answered practical questions.
    2.) The found footage would have been way better if for the whole 45 minutes, we just followed the soldiers, meeting the Doctor and Clara, encountering Sandmen, etc right through the end as one continuous scene. The repeated cuts to Rasmussen ‘holding the viewers hand’ as the Guardian puts it, just undercut any tension that might have been built up with the darkened corridors and ambiguous background noises. I don’t know, maybe I’m asking for it to be a bit too similar to the Blair Witch Project, given the audience??

• Exterminator

November 15th, 2015 - 11:16am

Finally, an episode not set on earth. The writers keep forgetting that the Tardis can travel in space as well as time. They were promising something scary and I’m sorry it just wasn’t.

The rescue soldiers were almost as bad as the unit ones last week not following orders. In the future, the armed services have really gone downhill.

The story for me would’ve made more sense if using the sleep pod things to stay awake for a long period of time, turns you into a sandman monster. All the sandman on the space station could’ve been the crew who have now got the munchies and started eating the rescue crew. That’s why they were called by the Reece Shearsmith character who they leave alone because he created them. Also they could then leave the station in the rescue ship.

They should’ve dumped the found footage thing, it really doesn’t work.

It was needlessly confusing and complicated and could’ve been so much better. Yet again another disappointment, but I bet everyone at the Dr Who Festival will be telling the Moffat/gatiss duo it was fantastic. Sorry but it wasn’t.

• Aidan Gula

November 15th, 2015 - 11:16am

I don’t know why people are so down on this episode. It was an experimental one because of the found footage. I honestly think Mark Gatiss’ episodes are always really strong because I like his alternative way of writing. My episode ratings:
    TMA – 10/10
    Series 9 Average: 8.33/10

• The Doctor Returns

November 15th, 2015 - 10:57am

Totally agree!

• Zygon63

November 15th, 2015 - 10:53am

I’m really not sure about this story… Either one of the worst ever or one of the best – I don’t think I’ll know until I have watched it again. Maybe I’ll understand it more the second time round!

• Tim M

November 15th, 2015 - 10:29am

I actually really enjoyed that episode. It couldn’t have been that bad…as it took my mind off my current tooth ache! The acting throughout wasn’t bad, the lighting and sets were used to brilliant effect, and the sandmen made for quite creepy monsters. I know there seems to be a lot of negative around this particular story, but I really liked it. 9/10. But then, what do I know…I tend to really like the stories that everyone else hates, such as ‘The Space Museum’, ‘Paradise Towers’, ‘Love and Monsters’ etc.

• Sid Rat

November 15th, 2015 - 9:58am

Where?

• Sid Rat

November 15th, 2015 - 9:51am

Didn’t enjoy this episode. Our little boy is a big DW fan and went off to play with his Star Wars figures part way through (for the first time this series), he said “it was boring” when asked. And I agree. I watched it of course but this is a particularly weak link in what has so far been a really good series. Looking forward to next week. Such a shame Clara will be leaving though as it is rally her that gives a little credibility to the 12th Doctor.

November 15th, 2015 - 9:11am

I was never a fan of Mark Gatiss DW stories, thinking his were some of the weakest and then when he wrote Night Terrors and Cold War I was made eat my words. Since then he has written Crimson Horror, Robot of Sherwood and this one…..he is due to write a strong episode again soon 😉