December 25th, 2015 99 comments

What Did You Think of The Husbands of River Song ?

Now that the 2015 Christmas Special The Husbands of River Song has aired what did you think? Was it everything you had hoped for or not what you expected….

It’s Christmas Day on a remote human colony and the Doctor is hiding from Christmas Carols and Comedy Antlers. But when a crashed spaceship calls upon the Doctor for help, he finds himself recruited into River Song’s squad and hurled into a fast and frantic chase across the galaxy.

King Hydroflax (Greg Davies) is furious, and his giant Robot bodyguard is out of control and coming for them all! Will Nardole (Matt Lucas) survive? And when will River Song work out who the Doctor is?

All will be revealed on a starliner full of galactic super-villains and a destination the Doctor has been avoiding for a very long time.

• Geoff

December 27th, 2015 - 7:45pm

Not quite as described by River in the library – he didn’t quite turn up on her doorstep in his best suit to take her to dinner, nor give her HIS screwdriver but I’ll let that go as the overall affect was really quite moving, especially Alex’s acting when River finally realises she is standing next to the Doctor.
    A wonderful bit of tying up ends and completing the circle; even better than the bit in Crash of the Byzantium where, even in the original episode, the Dr goes to Amy and tells her just to remember; yes it’s there, I checked back I’m that much of a geek!
    An excellent episode I thought. A great bit of reverse engineering by Mr Moffat. I wonder if he’d already sketched out the story when he wrote “The Library” all those years ago.

• Alex Who?

December 27th, 2015 - 7:29pm

So Am I

December 27th, 2015 - 4:55pm

I’m still hopeful that we might meet jim the fish someday

December 27th, 2015 - 4:53pm

Their both time travellers, they can never be sure they’ll meet in the right order

• Obsie

December 27th, 2015 - 10:37am

Didn’t like at all, River seemed out of place and less sparky than before. The story was far too silly even for a Christmas special. So far it holds 1st place in worst of the specials, Too talky and the music itself drowned out what was being said most of the time.

December 27th, 2015 - 1:20am

Murray is still the composer, he’s amazing!

• The Werewolf

December 26th, 2015 - 11:55pm

Matt Smith was absolutely the worst of all the Doctors. I don’t want him back for even a second. Eccleston on the other hand, well, he was simply perfect.

December 26th, 2015 - 10:41pm

My heart still lies with Last Christmas (no pun intended). This Christmas special has just made me even sadder about the fact that the doctor can no longer remember his impossible girl

December 26th, 2015 - 10:40pm

Ikr. I hate it when Doctor Who never makes an effort to hide those things that they hope people will overlook. It’s acc been done before. For example:

1) the garden Amy walks into in the girl who waited is the same garden missy used as “paradise”

2) the exterior of the library in forest of the dead/silence in the library two parter is the same building as the hospital Rory worked in.

3) the street Amy and Rory lived on is the same one rose’s dad got killed on

4) Clara lived in the same estate as rose did

Geez, the Who production team could try a little harder.

December 26th, 2015 - 10:35pm

Same. After crying my eyes out upon seeing Clara and the doctor literally fly to opposite ends of the universe, there wasn’t any hype to get me excited for Christmas anyway.

• Hazumu

December 26th, 2015 - 9:03pm

If you consider the Big Finish stories canon, she meets up with the 8th Doctor in ‘The Diaries of River Song’ and the forthcoming ‘Doom Coalition’ part 2… So who knows with the others.

• MC

December 26th, 2015 - 8:55pm

That’s what I mean, he was trying to be fun! Comedy acting is the most difficult skill and he doesn’t have it!
    Capaldi is very good at drama and tragedy, if that is what the doctor has become, almost one dimensional, then so be it!

• Monica

December 26th, 2015 - 8:05pm

It just means she has pictures of him, Moffat never said she met the Doctor before 10.

• starshipalaska

December 26th, 2015 - 7:39pm

Murray Gold is certainly still around!

• The Livin’ Shadow

December 26th, 2015 - 7:02pm

That would be quite cool, or even if we had a spin-off of past Doctors! …but I bet people would hate it! It would be a different format to how the show has been, and you know how some fans can get when even little changes happen..! I

think the Doctor regenerating backwards would be stupid. Maybe for a fan-service minisode or something, but apart from that it’d ruin the flow of the show, and it’s themes of change.

• The Livin’ Shadow

December 26th, 2015 - 6:52pm

I thought Capaldi was fun in this episode, like when he was laughing about the head in the bag, or when he was pretending to be amazed by the Tardis!

• The Livin’ Shadow

December 26th, 2015 - 6:50pm

I thought Murray Gold did do the music, didn’t he?

• starshipalaska

December 26th, 2015 - 6:32pm

OK, but when she says “You never show up in the right order” does that not suggest that she had meetings with them and they didn’t know her? So why is it so important that Tennant doesn’t know her yet when she’s probably already had that experience with plenty of other early doctors? And indeed why doesn’t Tennant remember her if he met her in his classic incarnations? Maybe it wasn’t actual meetings between River and the Classic Doctors but she really was just ‘spotting’ him?

• JasonisnotaRobot

December 26th, 2015 - 4:25pm

It was good. It was just some fun for Christmas and it I feel like it was a nice bookend for Rivers story if Steven doesn’t want to bring her back.

• Monica

December 26th, 2015 - 4:01pm

Loved it! And the fact that River had photos of all the Doctor’s faces was referenced in Tine of the Angels when she said “I’ve got pictures of all your faces. You never show up in the right order, though. I need the spotter’s guide.” So Moffat’s references are solid. They just take a while to solidify sometimes. I do wish the Sonic trowel had shown up before!

• amy pond fan

December 26th, 2015 - 3:42pm

not impressed.. for me it made her relationship with the 11th a fake one, while he was with rory and amy she was marrying diamonds and kissing others for the sake of money…

• A

December 26th, 2015 - 2:59pm

Given the nature of their timelines & the time she had left, River would not have told the whole story (spoilers) in the forest of the dead. She gave him enough hints to know when he would see her last.
    As for the War Doctor, she’s his wife. Who knows what they did or said on all those trips when she was in prison? I imagine she knows quite a lot about him. There must have been some quiet time when all they did was chat.
    I do agree there’s a problem with her meeting earlier Doctors than the 10th, yet just because she has pictures doesn’t mean she’s met them all. Maybe there’ll be a good explaination when she meets the 8th. Memories can be wiped.
    I think the Daleks rediscovered the Doctor when they took over the church in the time of the doctor, but I may have mis-remembered that.

• RORY DOCTOR RIVER POND

December 26th, 2015 - 2:04pm

I actually really enjoyed that! The plot could’ve been better, but it was worth it for tying up loose ends and having special River moments

• CG

December 26th, 2015 - 12:40pm

I loved it! I liked the emotional moments between River and Capaldi so loved the episode. I really wanted to see the Singing Towers so appreciated a nice happy ending to River’s storyline. I feel as though if she were to come back it would be great but if not, it was a very happy, suitable ending to a superb character. I was just about crying when I saw the boxed sonic screwdriver.

• I Stole A TARDIS

December 26th, 2015 - 12:24pm

I really didn’t like it, Capaldi was fantastic, but the plot was alright, I didn’t like the dynamic between the 12th Doctor and River. Then again, no Christmas will ever beat Voyage Of The Dammed for me

• doctor no more

December 26th, 2015 - 12:11pm

river had just been to manhatton so she would have been expecting the 11th doctor presumably so why didn’t this get referenced.would have been nice to have paid tribute to the 11th doctor.

• AlphaOmega

December 26th, 2015 - 12:05pm

You lot don’t honestly expect a Christmas Special to be complete serious doom and gloom do you? It’s supposed to be silly, un-serious and funny.

I loved it! It was a fun romp with a touching ending – and a nice little teaser for those of us about to listen to the Diary of River Song 😀

December 26th, 2015 - 11:52am

The best Doctor Who Christmas specials are in my book ones like The Christmas Invasion, The Runaway Bride, The Next Doctor, The Snowmen, The Time Of The Doctor and even Last Christmas with it’s dream crabs. Why? Because I think they better mix the Christmas theme with a more effectively action packed story without being too Christmassy, schmaltzy and silly.

This met my expectations which for this years special weren’t that high to begin with.

• doctor no more

December 26th, 2015 - 11:51am

goin back can be done,why not?rivers bumping into doctors in the wrong order! why cant we have a story arc where we have a different doctor in individual episodes if the storys right.this would be fantastic

• doctor no more

December 26th, 2015 - 11:19am

good comments,even fans of doctor who must realise the writings getting very poor and this doctors got no charisma, sadly we goin back to the late 80s when it was dire.