December 25th, 2015 99 comments

What Did You Think of The Husbands of River Song ?

Now that the 2015 Christmas Special The Husbands of River Song has aired what did you think? Was it everything you had hoped for or not what you expected….

It’s Christmas Day on a remote human colony and the Doctor is hiding from Christmas Carols and Comedy Antlers. But when a crashed spaceship calls upon the Doctor for help, he finds himself recruited into River Song’s squad and hurled into a fast and frantic chase across the galaxy.

King Hydroflax (Greg Davies) is furious, and his giant Robot bodyguard is out of control and coming for them all! Will Nardole (Matt Lucas) survive? And when will River Song work out who the Doctor is?

All will be revealed on a starliner full of galactic super-villains and a destination the Doctor has been avoiding for a very long time.

• Colleen

January 28th, 2016 - 12:32pm

Read the books. In the Engines of War, the War Dr gets out and about, so it is quite possible he may have bumped into River at some point.

• Colleen

January 28th, 2016 - 12:28pm

The sonic he gave her was used in one of DT’s episodes in the Library. That’s why he scanned her with it, pretending he was demonstrating it to her.

• The Husband of River Song

January 25th, 2016 - 5:22pm

This time on this day last month, I was watching the Husbands of River Song for the first time on T.V.!!:(

January 16th, 2016 - 9:36pm

I am a real whovien I love the 11 bow tie

• union panda

January 14th, 2016 - 4:34pm

nice

• Professer Dynamo

January 13th, 2016 - 8:15pm

This episode is just mean, The Doctor must be heart-broken or double heart-broken I should say. The Doctor stood there and watched River Song kiss with her “Husbands”. Even though The Doctor married River Song I can’t believe that The Doctor still gave River Song a new Sonic Screwdriver. I would like to see this Sonic to be used in the future of Doctor Who and I hope The Doctor finds another companion.

Sincerly,
    Professer Dynamo

• Teresa Klanderman

January 9th, 2016 - 4:21pm

I was totally cracking up in this part, because the Doctor obviously cannot suffice with just saying “It’s bigger on the inside” seeing as he’s had many reactions in the 2000 years he’s lived.

• thedoctor

January 3rd, 2016 - 6:27pm

heh heh Im thinking just say ITS BIGGER ON THE INSIDE !

• A

January 1st, 2016 - 10:59pm

By the logic of your 10th & 11th being reversed because she hadn’t met the 10th at the time of this episode, the 11th should have been the 1st, because she hasn’t met ANY of the others yet. Except Big Finish or whatever, however that turns out.
    The War Doctor I’ve already speculated on.

• Jason [Doctor Who One] from Deviant Art

January 1st, 2016 - 4:55pm

Feels to me like there was a continuity mistake with this episode.

River has pictures of all the Doctors faces, including the War Doctor and except 12, and all are in chronological order.

But how on earth could she have a photo of the War Doctor ? surely she should not be aware of that Doctor’s existence.

Plus, surely in series 4, she should believe that the 10th Doctor, from her point of view, was the 11th Doctors next incarnation, not the other around, going from Matt Smith into David Tennant from here point of view before she realized that David’s Doctor was before he actually knew her.

Just feels like a continuity error to me personally.

January 1st, 2016 - 2:28pm

Peter is great in this episode, and in the series. I love the doctor’s character development, something we have not seen much before, as often the Doctor does not change much within a regeneration. But the relationship between him and Clara, and her story arc has been very powerful. Season 9 blew me away!! Definitely going to have take the kids to Cardiff soon to the Doctor Who Experience to get me through to the start of season 10!

• 12th Doctor Fan

December 31st, 2015 - 11:50pm

Happy new year, fellow fans remember we all love the doctor, wonderful fellows all of them.

• Bow Ties Are Cool!

December 31st, 2015 - 6:32pm

Peter Capaldi’s ‘Bigger On the Inside’ routine cracked me up! Loved this episode so much! Alex is such an amazing actress!

December 31st, 2015 - 1:34pm

Yeah, but let’s face it, he only married her to save the universe!

December 31st, 2015 - 1:32pm

I guess he rebuilt it and turned it into that one, maybe?

• Olga

December 31st, 2015 - 1:23pm

Happy New Year everyone!:)

• A

December 30th, 2015 - 8:18pm

The more I watch this, the more I love it.
    I’m wondering about the bodyguard monks. They look similar to the headless monks from a good man goes to war but I’m fairly sure they are not headless…yet. There’s some flashes of eyes (which could be filming errror) but they also make noises as they attack which I don’t think would be possible without a mouth. Could this be the origin of the headless monks? Either as tribute to Hydroflax or to avoid being manipulated like he was by River, did they find a way to remove their heads while staying upright?

• Liz

December 29th, 2015 - 8:46pm

I want to meet Jim the Fish too!

• Tardis’nt

December 29th, 2015 - 3:25pm

No, that one was destroyed in the eleventh hour

• Dalekparadigm2

December 29th, 2015 - 3:58am

Not as bad as I was expecting actually. Great comedy, Capaldi’s ‘Bigger on the Inside’ section I thought was the best of that comedy although the threatening bag takes a close second. Alex Kingston’s performance in this was possibly the best I’ve seen of hers. The ‘Doctor not being there for her’ speech was very powerful and that was the pinacle of her acting. Then she started flirting…oh dear. Quite an emotional end though.

• Jane LLoyd

December 28th, 2015 - 6:20pm

I thought the first part of the episode was a light-hearted romp but the ending was beautiful – sad and sweet and acted brilliantly. Good to see the tying-up of loose ends and the wonderful on-screen chemistry, so understated, between the Doctor and River. Having been a fan since I saw the first episode in 1963 I feel Peter Capaldi is making the role his own and Series 9 has been exceptionally good – meaty stories and beautiful acting. Thank you for a wonderful 12 episodes ( like others I was less keen on Mark Gatiss’ script)

• Julie

December 28th, 2015 - 6:06pm

I do hope the new series is the River and Doctor history – hinted and touched on so many times – I love Alex’s character and the dynamic between them!

• A

December 28th, 2015 - 4:52pm

Of course, if River is regularly stealing the Tardis from whichever Doctor is closest in time & space, she would need to know which one to avoid.

• A

December 28th, 2015 - 4:46pm

The biggest problem I have with Last Christmas is the whole it’s a dream thing. I think I’ll scream if there’s ever a Dallasesque moment wiping out the intervening story.

• A

December 28th, 2015 - 4:31pm

Internet nightmare! This is a reply to starshipalaska below. Oops.

• doctor no more

December 28th, 2015 - 1:44pm

check the end credits it says the music’s done and mixed by either 2 or 3 different people now and as the credit’s move on murray gold is mentioned but I think it means just the title score.you can tell it’s not the same anymore.

December 28th, 2015 - 12:59am

That was his screwdriver (10th) with custom elements

December 27th, 2015 - 10:00pm

Is it just me seeing Douglas Adams everywhere in it? That Space Cruiseliner very much like Staship Titanic , the Restauarant at the end of the universe complete with the paranoid android eating for them…

• KORSAIR

December 27th, 2015 - 9:33pm

Just got round to watching it tonight and quite enjoyed it.

• Geoff